The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hope they ask a tricky conservation of momentum question like in mechanics 2
Why do we only draw fields lines to the surface? If the gravitational forces acts towards the centre of the spherical planet then surely this should be shown?
Original post by TommyCooper97
G482 (Electrons, Waves and Photons) last year was very hard as proven by the fact that the A boundary was 59/100, extremely low! I don't know what it was like this year as I didn't resit (got a B), but I agree Mechanics this year was a walk in the park as I resat this and I know i deffo got an A as my teacher did an unoffical mark scheme after and I known I will have got at least 52/60.

Yeah g482 was quite challenging but no harder than last year. According to teachercols mark scheme Ive gotten 50-55 in g481 and 80-90 in g482. As long as you understand the topics and know what the typical answers are for their facetious worded questions full ums should be doable
Original post by Jim997
Yeah g482 was quite challenging but no harder than last year. According to teachercols mark scheme Ive gotten 50-55 in g481 and 80-90 in g482. As long as you understand the topics and know what the typical answers are for their facetious worded questions full ums should be doable

People have been saying this years exams were quite different from previous your opinions on that?
Original post by chem@uni
In what way?

hardly any definitions , there were questions that were just unlike any other/deviated from the usual format such as the question "prove units of K"
I'm not saying I found it difficult. I just thought it was very different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jim997

Teachercol is my teacher haha. Yeah tbh I should of done more work in AS for G482, but I have done a lot more this year and feel very confident for A2 exams so my B in EWP should be okay.
Where was the experiment for shm someone posted? Saw it earlier but can't find it anymore
Describe solids, liquids and gases in terms of the spacing ordering and motion of atoms/molecules? (taken from spec)
Original post by The Room Student
Why do we only draw fields lines to the surface? If the gravitational forces acts towards the centre of the spherical planet then surely this should be shown?

Objects would not be pulled through the surface of the planet though, I think is why, but I know you are not supposed to draw them into the planet.
No there is a G484 markscheme that says spy is a geostationary satellite and it is the second answer a cross not in the allowed etc.

Hmm, that is strange, typical ocr...
Look at Jan13 q3

Then..

I couldn't find the one where it says it allows a spy satellite for geostationary
anyone use physics and maths tutors website unit 4 notes are excellent :smile:

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/ocr-unit-4/
Original post by maattwileman
Someone please explain this to me.
Weightlessness with vertical circular motion..

what provides the upwards centripetal force at the bottom of the circle and why does an object weigh more at the bottom than top.
Something to do with dif between centripetal and weight?

>what provides the upwards centripetal force at the bottom of the circle and why does an object weigh more at the bottom than top.

Main thing you got to know for is For example plane flying in a verticle circle. You might get a question askin why contact force of pilot and seat is larger at the bottom and smaller at the top ( pilot experiences weightless).

Larger at the top cause centripidal force acting upwards also has to counter the weight acting downards.

Weightless or small contact force at the top cause part of centripetal force is made up by the weight acting downards
Original post by pipsini
Describe solids, liquids and gases in terms of the spacing ordering and motion of atoms/molecules? (taken from spec)

In Solids the molecules vibrate randomly about their equilibrium positions. The molecules are closely packed and they exert an electrical force on each other.

In liquids the motion is random because of collisions with other molecules. Have translational kinetic energy. Mean separation is greater than that of in solids.

In a gas the molecules have random motion and temperature is proportional to kinetic energy. Translational kinetic energy. Mean separation is greater than in solids and liquids and it depends on the pressure.
Original post by Flux_Dubstep
Hmm, that is strange, typical ocr...
Look at Jan13 q3

Then..

I couldn't find the one where it says it allows a spy satellite for geostationary

That is the question I mean
I said it wasnt in allow
That is the question I mean
I said it wasnt in allow

But in the example I posted, it is allowed
Original post by Jim997
As someone who actually sat both g481 and g482 I can tell you that the papers weren't at all that different. G481 was still a walk in the park, slightly less definitions than usual was all, and g482 was no different than last year. If you understand all the topics then you will be fine. After every exam people come out of it saying how different it was and how impossibly hard it was, invariably they're the ones who haven't done that much work and are laying down the foundations of their excuses!

I did g481 last year and resat this year and I thought it was slightly different like there's normally quite a consistent format to the papers but this one didn't quite fit in with previous years. When I walked out I thought it was a really unfair paper but after looking at the mark scheme it didn't seem so bad. Often people think an exam was harder than it actually was, and even if you do understand all the topics, if you don't have the skill to think outside the box and apply things which you've learned to new situations, questions can easily catch you out
Original post by verello12
>what provides the upwards centripetal force at the bottom of the circle and why does an object weigh more at the bottom than top.

Main thing you got to know for is For example plane flying in a verticle circle. You might get a question askin why contact force of pilot and seat is larger at the bottom and smaller at the top ( pilot experiences weightless).

Larger at the top cause centripidal force acting upwards also has to counter the weight acting downards.

Weightless or small contact force at the top cause part of centripetal force is made up by the weight acting downards

thanks.
so at top acceleration is effectively downwards which means there is less contact force.
kinda
Original post by AlexParmenter
I did g481 last year and resat this year and I thought it was slightly different like there's normally quite a consistent format to the papers but this one didn't quite fit in with previous years. When I walked out I thought it was a really unfair paper but after looking at the mark scheme it didn't seem so bad. Often people think an exam was harder than it actually was, and even if you do understand all the topics, if you don't have the skill to think outside the box and apply things which you've learned to new situations, questions can easily catch you out

Yeah I resat it, and can imagine it would have been pretty tough if I wasn't retaking it

Latest

Trending

Trending