The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Whateverisbest
Think about moving a spring very slowly. You'd barely be affecting the oscillations which is what its getting at with 0.2 Hz.

1.5hz is resonance as its the same as the natural frequency.

As for 10Hz, you must remember those resonance curves, right? Think of what happens to the amplitude as the driver frequency exceeds the natural frequency.

Edit: I didn't pay attention to your question. When in resonance , the driver and the displacement of the oscillation system are 90 degrees out of phase. It's just a fact.

Thanks, that helps. To confirm for the 0.2 Hz do you assume the effect is so little it's in phase because the mark scheme says in phase with driver
Reply 3741
Original post by CD223
Which board? AQA C4 screwed me over 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes same AQA, I honestly think for the questions they gave us it was really difficult to get them all done in 90 minutes. I panicked and made so many silly mistakes, was aiming for an A* this year :frown:
Original post by Lau14
Yes

Cheers :smile:
Original post by Humza Ali
How to work out when a set of swings of varying time period will next be "in conjunction"?

Do you mean when they'll next be in phase? Do the time period difference multiplied by the smallest time period, this gives the number of the smallest time periods that take place, then you multiply by the time period to get the overall time
(edited 8 years ago)
Guys are we allowed to write on the Section A multiple choice question paper so that we can do the calculations?

Also is it okay to underline words in the questions?

I never did these things just in case until now that I feel the need to, for this exam.
Original post by HenryHein
The natural frequency is 1.5Hz.

When the frequency of the driver is equal to the natural frequency 2)(b)(ii), the phase difference is pi/2, i.e. in phase with velocity. At 0.2Hz (i), the phase difference is nearly zero. At 10Hz(iii) the phase difference is nearly pi

In general:
when driven at freq much lower than natural: little or no phase difference
when driven at resonance: phase difference pi/2
driven at frequency much higher than resonance: phase difference approaching pi.

I'm afraid I can't explain why this is the case, so unless someone else can it's just something to blindly accept.

Yeh that makes sense I was just trying to work out the exact phase differences for the 0.2Hz and 10 Hz ones but I didn't need to
Original post by Brianna96
Hi, quick question, if anyone could answer it for me, it would be a great help!!
Why in a MS does it say E proportional to V squared in the equation of energy stored in a capacitor? Why can't you use V is proportional to E because of the equation: E=0.5QV? How do you now what equation to use when working out what is proportional to what in the energy equations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's because Q is dependent on V or something I think?

Original post by Mattyhouse
My normal calculator keeps going on and off, its ****ed :s not sure whether just to use my graphic instead ;/

Take both if you want them!
What's the difference when dropping a magnet through a copper tube and a coil, if there is any?
Original post by QueNNch
Guys are we allowed to write on the Section A multiple choice question paper so that we can do the calculations?

Also is it okay to underline words in the questions?

I never did these things just in case until now that I feel the need to, for this exam.

Yeah as long as your answer is clear in the box then you're all good, i scrawl all over mine with workings out haha
Original post by JaySP
14339653568131469626839.jpg
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Sorry some are clearer than others

Thank you, I'm just confused about how you went from V^2/(V-2)^2 to V = 2V -4 on q19?
Original post by davidharris96
Do you mean when they'll next be in phase? Do the time period difference multiplied by the smallest time period, this gives the number of the smallest time periods that take place, then you multiply by the time period to get the overall time

Thanks for this answer, its come up twice and this helps loads
Original post by Brianna96
Hi, quick question, if anyone could answer it for me, it would be a great help!!
Why in a MS does it say E proportional to V squared in the equation of energy stored in a capacitor? Why can't you use V is proportional to E because of the equation: E=0.5QV? How do you now what equation to use when working out what is proportional to what in the energy equations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

that eqn is for energy stored in a capacitor.

The question is asking about the CELL so use w= itv
What are people feeling that the 6 mark written question will be on?
Right, I'm off for tonight. I'll see you guys after the exam tomorrow.

Best of luck!
Could someone explain why the answer to this question (question 4bi) is 7.4x10^11? When I did it I got 7.4x10^8
Reply 3755
Original post by saad97
Thank you, I'm just confused about how you went from V^2/(V-2)^2 to V = 2V -4 on q19?

I tend to skip steps sorry.

Square root both sides, times both sides by (V-2)
Original post by mrno1324
What's the difference when dropping a magnet through a copper tube and a coil, if there is any?

none that i can think off.

Both would experince a mag field.
Original post by mrno1324

My best guess would be that as a coil has more turns (N is higher) than for a tube (which has only 1), the magnitude of induced emf would be higher?
Original post by JaySP
I tend to skip steps sorry.

Square root both sides, times both sides by (V-2)

Ah that makes sense now, thanks. Are you prepared for tomorrow?
Original post by Humza Ali
How to work out when a set of swings of varying time period will next be "in conjunction"?

The short answer is to find the lowest common multiple.

If you can't do that (or have to explain how you got to your answer), first calculate the phase difference (in seconds).

Then either work out what you must multiply the phase difference by to get to the larger of the two time periods. Then multiply the SMALLER time period by that number.

OR work out what you must multiply the phase difference by to get to the smaller of the two time periods. Then multiply the LARGER time period by that number.

For example, I think it was in june 2014 where one system had a time period of 2s and the other 1.90s. So the phase difference is 0.1s. To get to 1.90s, multiply 0.1 by 19. Then 2 * 19 = 38s.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending