The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature LITA3: Love Through the Ages, 11 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys roughly how many points do you do for each question? i feel like i don't do enough because i focus on detail; last year the main comments on my script were that i made too many points, too vaguely...? ARRGHH panicking
How many quotes approximately do we need
Reply 122
Original post by otapeiris1
How many quotes approximately do we need

3, one for each form
Reply 123
Original post by voodoo_child
Hey guys roughly how many points do you do for each question? i feel like i don't do enough because i focus on detail; last year the main comments on my script were that i made too many points, too vaguely...? ARRGHH panicking

i usually get around 4 or 5 in, but once in class i was really struggling with time and only put 2 detailed points in and got an A lol so i think it's more your detail than how many points you put in; just try and get the 2 wider readings in and then just see how time plays out for how many points to include
Reply 124
Just to clarify, the mark scheme only specifies that reference must be made to all genres by the end of the paper. This means a minimum of 1 reference (no quotes have to be used provided the reference is relevant) must be made to Poetry, Prose and Drama. You will not be penalised for not using quotes, some of the full mark examples I have seen don't quote wider reading! The bulk of the marks are given for analysing the extracts, so make that your priority.

On a separate note, a friend of mine did this exam last year and completely forgot about wider reading (I have no idea how) and still managed a mid/high A.
Original post by yasmina96
I did this paper last year, it was terrible. But I advise 3-4 side of meaty writing, if its good writing then 3-4 will do !

!! so did i! are you retaking or just handing out wisdom? :biggrin: idk about you but i was getting really good As in class and my coursework was high; bang came out with a mid-low C in this paper
!! so did i! are you retaking or just handing out wisdom? :biggrin: idk about you but i was getting really good As in class and my coursework was high; bang came out with a mid-low C in this paper

Retaking cos I need to get into aston !! I cant fail this paper again I got D but tbf I only answered one question so I must have done ok
GOod luck !!!
Retaking cos I need to get into aston !! I cant fail this paper again I got D but tbf I only answered one question so I must have done ok
GOod luck !!!

oops sorry only just saw your earlier posts, my internet is ****. good luck to you too!
GOod luck !!!

What happened, did you run out of time? Good luck tomorrow!
If anyone has any familial love quotations they'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BecauseImBatman
What happened, did you run out of time? Good luck tomorrow!

lol i dozed off into space about my holiday ... ended up resitting the whole yearahahahah
Reply 131
Original post by HopefulLawyerHG
If anyone has any familial love quotations they'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

plath - daddy - poem - 'barely daring to breathe or Achoo' - about her and her dad

plath - morning song - poem - 'one cry, and i stumble from bed' - about her and her child

armitage - any distance greater - poem - 'unreeling years between us. anchor. kite.', 'your fingertips still pinch the last one-hundredth of an inch.' - about him and his mother

hardy - tess of the durbervilles - novel - 'it was a makeshift memorial, but made complete by her maternal love.' (on burying her illegitimate baby) - about her and her child

brecht - the caucasian chalk circle - play - (a court case between biological mother who abandoned her baby and a woman who raised the child; the judge calls the woman who raised the boy the true/real mother even though she didn't give birth) 'the court...has come to no decision as to who the real mother of this child is.', '[In despair] I've brought him up! Am I to tear him to pieces? I can't do it!'
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lg01
plath - daddy - poem - 'barely daring to breathe or Achoo' - about her and her dad

plath - morning song - poem - 'one cry, and i stumble from bed' - about her and her child

armitage - any distance greater - poem - 'unreeling years between us. anchor. kite.', 'your fingertips still pinch the last one-hundredth of an inch.' - about him and his mother

hardy - tess of the durbervilles - novel - 'it was a makeshift memorial, but made complete by her maternal love.' (on burying her illegitimate baby) - about her and her child

brecht - the caucasian chalk circle - play - (a court case between biological mother who abandoned her baby and a woman who raised the child; the judge calls the woman who raised the boy the true/real mother even though she didn't give birth) 'the court...has come to no decision as to who the real mother of this child is.', '[In despair] I've brought him up! Am I to tear him to pieces? I can't do it!'

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

The opening scene of A Midsummer Night's Dream: Hermia disobeys her father in choosing to marry Lysander, against his wishes, and he seeks to invoke a law that subdues daughters to their fathers in order to force her to marry Demetrius. This one is good for context because you can discuss the historical status of women as belonging to their fathers or husbands. Like Brabantio does in Othello, Egeus accuses her daughter's lover of bewitching her: "With cunning has thou filched my daughter's heart,/Turned her obedience, which is due to me,/To stubborn harshness.", "As she is mine, I may dispose of her:"

BTW this is a theme in other father/daughter relationships in Shakespeare (R+J, Othello, regarding marriage; in King Lear, he expects his daughters to lavish love upon him), and seemingly throughout history.

For poetry, I've only really got 2 Plath poems, 'You're' and 'Daddy'. In 'You're', she describes her unborn baby as lots of different metaphors; they are affectionate, could be a reaction to contemporary attention towards abortion etc.; abortion was still mostly illegal I think, but in 1957 became legal in the UK - she could be propagating the idea that her unborn baby is alive and a person, or that they are still not anything significant and therefore not necessarily a significant life to be killed etc.

In 'Daddy', she expresses her emotions about her father's death; she treated it as abandonment, as he died of an illness he refused to have treated, when she was just 10. She describes how she sought to replace him with a similar man, i.e. her husband, Ted Hughes, who also betrayed her by cheating etc. Her father was also German, hence the Nazi imagery - you could say that her anger at his abandoning her translates his memory into the persisting hate felt for Nazis/Germans at the time (written in 1962), I don't think he was actually a Nazi.

The only prose I can really think of is 'Love in the Time of Cholera', in which Fermina, like the Shakespeare ladies, was forced/encouraged (her father put off her first love by threatening him) to marry a high-status doctor who eventually cheated on her etc. You could talk about Daisy in The Great Gatsby not really caring for her only daughter "I’m glad it’s a girl. And I hope she’ll be a fool that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”; the daughter is never really mentioned again as her parents go to parties and trips around cities etc.

Hope this helps!! Thanks for asking this Q as it forced me to revise a little myself :wink:
Reply 134
Hi guys, not sure if its already been asked and answered as I haven't read through the entire forum from the start but I noticed a few people saying that due to last years question one being a poetry comparison, there is a possibility that this year would be drama. What does that then mean in regards to question two then? A poetry and a prose?
Original post by p.a25
Hi guys, not sure if its already been asked and answered as I haven't read through the entire forum from the start but I noticed a few people saying that due to last years question one being a poetry comparison, there is a possibility that this year would be drama. What does that then mean in regards to question two then? A poetry and a prose?

yeah it would definitely be whatever remains :smile: if q1 = drama, q2 cannot include drama

don't forget in question 2 you can use any genre, while in q1 you're supposed to use the same genre as the extracts given

good luck to everyone!
Reply 136
don't forget in question 2 you can use any genre, while in q1 you're supposed to use the same genre as the extracts given

do you have to use all three genre's across the exam? so if q1 was poetry, and you linked poetry and prose to q2 rather than prose and a drama, would you be marked down? or is it ok to miss out one genre as long as you've got the right one in q1?
Reply 137
yeah it would definitely be whatever remains :smile: if q1 = drama, q2 cannot include drama

good luck to everyone!

Thank you! Also, any genre for question two? I thought that if it is a poetry and a drama, it would have to be poetry WR for poetry only and then drama WR for drama? right? haha I hope that made sense!
Reply 138

I was advised to make three to four detailed points. This video is REALLY helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhUPtjrKXbM&index=5&list=WL.

Good luck tomorrow :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would probably talk about the way family is a hindrance on Romeo and Juliet's love 'wherefore art thou romeo? deny thy father and refuse thy name!"

The marriage affair within hamlet between his uncle (who murdered his father) and his mother, hamlet says "with such dexterity to incestuous sheets! it is not nor cannot come to good; but break my heart i must hold thy tongue" he talks about holding back his emotions after his outburst because of the social order. in the Elizabethan world view the king is a godly representative and within the hierarchy hamlet is beneath and cannot disrespect the current king despite his lack of morals. Hamlet's repression is antagonised by the fact that he would have been next to the throne if claudius did not marry his mother and also due to the fact that he has not yet caught out claudius for his murder. He tries to do this with the dumb show. he also respects his mother more than claudius in this affair so this can show his bond with Gertrude; many critics have lent this to the concept of the Oedipus complex, particularly in theatre adaptations whereby this monologue is given in her bedroom.

You could use One Flesh by Elizabeth Jennings who propoes a slightly more modern view on the family and concludes with "whose fire from which i came has now grown cold?"
we are exposed to a narrative to a married couple who are "strangely close yet strangely far apart" (you can also use this for marriage and how they would persevere because of societal expectations perhaps?) but towards the end we learn that it is a narrative from the child's perspective

As for prose i would probably go for Pride and Prejudice " your mother will never see you again if you do not marry mr. collins and i will never see you again if you do" this one is selfe explanatory because it comes from #Austen's P&P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending