The Student Room Group

Confused

Hey guys,I am new to TSR and i got this forum by googling.I am actually from India but with an Portugese passport and So i become an international student rather than an EU student because i have not stayed for 3 years in UK.Now i performed badly in my 12th here(maharashtra board) scoring 66% in maths,computer science and english with a horrible 43/100 in maths(the math syllabus here is different from uk).So now i went to the education counsellor and he suggeseted me the following universities for bsc it or bsc computer science

Salford
University of South Wales
London Met
Bedfordshire
Bolton
London South Bank
East London
Middlesex
Northampton

and from what i read i am eligible for
southampton solent
sheffield hallam
oxford brookes
coventry

So which of these are good and which are horrible.Please tell me. I want to shortlist the best 5 for UCAS.If not i will probably go for a foundation programme

Scroll to see replies

If I'm honest, none of those unis would be regarded as prestigious.

About the best of that list would be Oxford Brookes and Salford.

I'd think very carefully about going to London Met - they're constantly struggling financially, they lost their right to have international students a few years ago (they've got it back since, but it was incredibly disruptive to all the international students who essentially lost their place at uni), and the latest round of cuts and redundancies has resulted in strikes.

Do you have the option to resit maths? A low grade will cause you problems, because computer science is very maths based. I would also suggest you think carefully about whether computer science is the right course for you if you're no good at / dislike maths - you don't want to find that you get into uni and then can't succeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
If I'm honest, none of those unis would be regarded as prestigious.

About the best of that list would be Oxford Brookes and Salford.

I'd think very carefully about going to London Met - they're constantly struggling financially, they lost their right to have international students a few years ago (they've got it back since, but it was incredibly disruptive to all the international students who essentially lost their place at uni), and the latest round of cuts and redundancies has resulted in strikes.

Do you have the option to resit maths? A low grade will cause you problems, because computer science is very maths based. I would also suggest you think carefully about whether computer science is the right course for you if you're no good at / dislike maths - you don't want to find that you get into uni and then can't succeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm good at some aspects except limits and continuity.Im great at programing.But my maths score is making me eligible for these universities.The issue here is when i put my paper for revaluation,the board told methat i was one of the unlucky 250 whose papers got lost during getting transported and so my marks were randomly put.Isn't UCLAN good.
Reply 3
I also noticed im eligible for UCLAN,De monfort,university of south wales.How are those.If i don't get a good one,Kings is offering me a foundation year.
Original post by jontyfernz
Hey guys,I am new to TSR and i got this forum by googling.I am actually from India but with an Portugese passport and So i become an international student rather than an EU student because i have not stayed for 3 years in UK.Now i performed badly in my 12th here(maharashtra board) scoring 66% in maths,computer science and english with a horrible 43/100 in maths(the math syllabus here is different from uk).So now i went to the education counsellor and he suggeseted me the following universities for bsc it or bsc computer science

Salford
University of South Wales
London Met
Bedfordshire
Bolton
London South Bank
East London
Middlesex
Northampton

and from what i read i am eligible for
southampton solent
sheffield hallam
oxford brookes
coventry

So which of these are good and which are horrible.Please tell me. I want to shortlist the best 5 for UCAS.If not i will probably go for a foundation programme

Hi there,

We would strongly recommend that you make an application!

If you would like more information on the course please visit our website or you can email [email protected] if you have any further questions

http://www.northampton.ac.uk/study/courses/courses-by-subject/computing/computing-bsc-hons

Laura :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by The University of Northampton
Hi there,

We would strongly recommend that you make an application!

If you would like more information on the course please visit our website or you can email [email protected] if you have any further questions

http://www.northampton.ac.uk/study/courses/courses-by-subject/computing/computing-bsc-hons

Laura :smile:

Im from india,so what are your requirments for a bsc computer science or a bsc it programme/.Also im applying for the september 2016 intake
Im from india,so what are your requirments for a bsc computer science or a bsc it programme/.Also im applying for the september 2016 intake

For an Undergraduate course in the Standard 12 a student would need a minimum cumulative grade point average of 60%+, we would need to look at their grade 10 results to see if perhaps this is higher in the Maths subject, but I would suggest that they make an application so we can fully consider the options available to them. They would also need to meet one of the following to prove their English Language ability; English 60%+ for CBSE and ICSE examination boards English 65%+ for all other examination boards IELTS 6.0 or equivalent with minimum 5.5 in all bands TOEFL 80 (iBT) Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English grade C PTE Academic 56
Reply 7
Original post by The University of Northampton
For an Undergraduate course in the Standard 12 a student would need a minimum cumulative grade point average of 60%+, we would need to look at their grade 10 results to see if perhaps this is higher in the Maths subject, but I would suggest that they make an application so we can fully consider the options available to them. They would also need to meet one of the following to prove their English Language ability; English 60%+ for CBSE and ICSE examination boards English 65%+ for all other examination boards IELTS 6.0 or equivalent with minimum 5.5 in all bands TOEFL 80 (iBT) Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English grade C PTE Academic 56

thanx
I also noticed im eligible for UCLAN,De monfort,university of south wales.How are those.If i don't get a good one,Kings is offering me a foundation year.

If King's College London is offering you a foundation year then that is well worth considering. It will take you an extra year, but King's is in general a much better uni than the others you have mentioned.
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
If King's College London is offering you a foundation year then that is well worth considering. It will take you an extra year, but King's is in general a much better uni than the others you have mentioned.

the problem,there is no guarantee to get in the first year at kings,atleast that's what the counsellor said
the problem,there is no guarantee to get in the first year at kings,atleast that's what the counsellor said

True, but if you are good enough and meet the conditions for entry into first year they will take you. If not, then you can still try to get into other unis using your foundation year results as a qualification.
Thanx,ill look at that,Good ones need 45-50% in foundation year to move to 1st year.Kings,UCL,ICL and city want 55% atleast,i'll look at that.Thanx
Thanx,ill look at that,Good ones need 45-50% in foundation year to move to 1st year.Kings,UCL,ICL and city want 55% atleast,i'll look at that.Thanx

That bar is not set very high - 55% is equivalent to a middle 2.2. If you can't achieve that, then perhaps a computer science degree is not for you?

Be very careful with foundation years for foreign students at prestigious universities. Many of them use these courses as cash cows and their quoted progression rates are often to any university and not to the university offering the foundation year. Specifically ask how many people went from the foundation year to study at that university.

TSR can be unhelpful if you are not in the academic top drawer. The universities you mention probably have in excess of 200,000 students between them yet a schoolboy can dismiss them all with a few clicks as not worth attending.

I wouldn't go near London Met and generally the pull of London means that the lesser universities there can demand higher grades than they would get away with elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
Be very careful with foundation years for foreign students at prestigious universities. Many of them use these courses as cash cows and their quoted progression rates are often to any university and not to the university offering the foundation year. Specifically ask how many people went from the foundation year to study at that university.

TSR can be unhelpful if you are not in the academic top drawer. The universities you mention probably have in excess of 200,000 students between them yet a schoolboy can dismiss them all with a few clicks as not worth attending.

I wouldn't go near London Met and generally the pull of London means that the lesser universities there can demand higher grades than they would get away with elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reading this i have decided to put Salford,oxford brookes and Coventry as my UCAS choices.for the next two UWE bristol or Northampton,UCLAN,Manchester Met,Middlesex,London South Bank,De monfort,or Gloucestershire,suggest me 5 to put from these.and yeah navitas,into and study group have made a lot from foundation courses,but hey their facilities are good
Reading this i have decided to put Salford,oxford brookes and Coventry as my UCAS choices.for the next two UWE bristol or Northampton,UCLAN,Manchester Met,Middlesex,London South Bank,De monfort,or Gloucestershire,suggest me 5 to put from these.and yeah navitas,into and study group have made a lot from foundation courses,but hey their facilities are good

Take any two from UWE, UCLAN, Manchester Met or DMU.
Original post by nulli tertius
Take any two from UWE, UCLAN, Manchester Met or DMU.

I have a year to think but thanx,UWE is good for computing and DMU too.So those two also in.
Hi, choosing universities is tough, especially if you are an International student. Having a look through your thread you are looking at Computing? We have a number options that would suit you. if you are worried about achieving the entry requirements here at DMU we also offer a Computing Foundation - this is a great start. It would be well worth considering applying for our Computer Science degree course.

At DMU we have a great support system for International students, from welcome week activities, a buddy scheme - so you can meet up with someone that can tell you exactly what to expect when you arrive. We have some great information about our representatives in India on our website too - http://www.dmu.ac.uk/international/en/your-country/india/india.aspx

The DMU Indian society have a Facebook page, a good start for making friends before you come: www.facebook.com/DMU123IndianSociety

If you have any questions about the computing courses or DMU in general let me know. We can also contact us via our International Facebook page : www.facebook.com/DMUinternational

Look forward to hearing back :smile:
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi, choosing universities is tough, especially if you are an International student. Having a look through your thread you are looking at Computing? We have a number options that would suit you. if you are worried about achieving the entry requirements here at DMU we also offer a Computing Foundation - this is a great start. It would be well worth considering applying for our Computer Science degree course.

At DMU we have a great support system for International students, from welcome week activities, a buddy scheme - so you can meet up with someone that can tell you exactly what to expect when you arrive. We have some great information about our representatives in India on our website too - http://www.dmu.ac.uk/international/en/your-country/india/india.aspx

The DMU Indian society have a Facebook page, a good start for making friends before you come: www.facebook.com/DMU123IndianSociety

If you have any questions about the computing courses or DMU in general let me know. We can also contact us via our International Facebook page : www.facebook.com/DMUinternational

Look forward to hearing back :smile:

I have 64% i my 4 subjects,Am I eligible,and if i do a 1st year from mumbai university are those grades accepted for a 1st or 2nd year there?I have currently enrolled for a bsc it degree here.
Hi, I have just spoken with the Admissions team and they strongly recommend you apply. We would also consider a transfer if you were to study at Mumbai University for your first year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending