The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

I didn't particularly enjoy that. It was okay, but not the best. I'm still hoping for 120 UMS but it's hard to tell how that went :dontknow:
What did people put of the damping question? I completely forgot what it was so I tried to work it out there, I put it has no affect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmiratesCaptain
Thought it was good, what was the graph for current supposed to look like? I had the initial current below the first graph but just the same shape which im pretty sure is wrong

Pretty sure it had a lower initial current and then a less steep gradient as time constant was greater?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fred Cantoni
Pretty sure it had a lower initial current and then a less steep gradient as time constant was greater?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the same; but was told by my peers that the current had the same start point.
Little questions:
Gravitational potential is a vector isn't it?
I put the oscillations were less damped with the metal ring - thoughts on this? I reasoned the air resistance force would be constant but as F=ma, the pendulum would deccelerate more slowly so would be less damped.
What did people put of the damping question? I completely forgot what it was so I tried to work it out there, I put it has no affect?
It has no effect from the equation of time period of a simple pendulum (at least i think?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It has no effect from the equation of time period of a simple pendulum (at least i think?)
Original post by Fvthoms
I thought the same; but was told by my peers that the current had the same start point.

Why would it? If you simplify it and treat it like a battery for the same voltage but huger resistance it would have a lower current, why wouldn't that hold for a capacitor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's more damping without the ring because the ring increases the pendulum's weight and the resistance's effect will be decreased.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Less damped with ring because of conservation of momentum.
Why would it? If you simplify it and treat it like a battery for the same voltage but huger resistance it would have a lower current, why wouldn't that hold for a capacitor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, but to be honest; my memory of the paper is already hazy; and as I have said on the student room before:

"If enough people tell you that 1+1=2, you should start to doubt if it's really 3"

Edit: they seem to think that it was the capacitance that was increased.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by simonli2575
There's more damping without the ring because the ring increases the pendulum's weight and the resistance's effect will be decreased.

That explanation means that there's less damping lol
Reply 3911
Going to have to perform a miracle in unit 5 to make up for that disaster.
Graph for current should start halfway below original and have shallower gradient
I literally made an account on this website to complain about this awful exam for rats. Terrible
Original post by chasvortex
Little questions:
Gravitational potential is a vector isn't it?
I put the oscillations were less damped with the metal ring - thoughts on this? I reasoned the air resistance force would be constant but as F=ma, the pendulum would deccelerate more slowly so would be less damped.

Gravitational potential is scalar
Original post by gaytown
I literally made an account on this website to complain about this awful exam for rats. Terrible

Strong username choice for a throwaway.
Did people get 1.4 for the height ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmiratesCaptain
Gravitational potential is scalar

Apologies that was what I meant - I circled that gravitational potential being a vector as incorrect
Original post by Fvthoms
Strong username choice for a throwaway.

Well, hey, you never know, I might fail some other exams too
Also want to compare; did anybody else have a small amount of B's in their MC paper? I counted 4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending