The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by F13ND
Damping decreased with ring. T=2πxsqrt(m/k) with larger mass gives longer time for same oscillation so lower velocity. Lower velocity reduces effect of the damping force air resistance.

No it wasn't spring
Original post by F13ND
Damping decreased with ring. T=2πxsqrt(m/k) with larger mass gives longer time for same oscillation so lower velocity. Lower velocity reduces effect of the damping force air resistance.

But it wasn't a mass spring system was it?! I put that reason but crossed it out as I realised it's for a simple pendulum so mass doesn't even matter as it's just T=2pi root l/g
Original post by F13ND

That's the equation for mass spring system??
Reply 4003
Original post by Willow1.21
I hope so. The worst bit is I spent so long going back over that question, trying to see if I was wrong, I didn't get to check through any of my other answers. But never mind, may as well focus on the next exam now.

I hate capacitors so drew a line and went yeah ok
Original post by jf1994
Anyone else get 131 degrees for question 5a?

Yes!! You have no idea how great it feels when even one person gets the same answer as you, I had no clue what I was doing just kept plugging numbers in! Did you get 2 revolutions per second as well?
What did you put for the last MC question about the steel core?
Original post by Sbarron
No it wasn't spring

Doesn't damping result in increased time anyway? I said m doesn't affect t and damping would require t to decrease??
Reply 4007
Original post by Cmog
Was it steeper gradient with less area under graph, I forgot to adjust my current :angry:

I did a less steep graph because I thought with greater time constant it would discharge at a slower rate :/
I'm thinking they have to scrap the 3 marks for the graph of the 300 Kohm question
Original post by k9000
The last multiple choice question, did people put allows current to go to low resistivity sheath or structural reinforcement

Structural reinforcement!

Posted from TSR Mobile
But it was oscillating left to right not spring oscillation so mass doesn't affect
Original post by jf1994
Anyone else get 131 degrees for question 5a?

yes :smile:
Reply 4012
Did anyone else find that a fair few of those questions were from old spec/past papers
Original post by emmalem2406
What did you put for the last MC question about the steel core?

C but not sure
How did you guys calculate the electric potential energy?
Reply 4015
Original post by MSB47
I did a less steep graph because I thought with greater time constant it would discharge at a slower rate :/

From what i've been told it's less steep
Original post by Cmog
Did anyone else find that a fair few of those questions were from old spec/past papers

Yep I was surprised
The question where we had to prove the capacotor was 30nC or something...can;t remember, just know I managed to get something like 28. something and it worked out to be 30nC to 1sf
anyone get 3400 vm-1 for one of the questions
Original post by MSB47

I did a less steep graph with double the time consant at starting from the same current. Is that correct?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending