The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4: Physics on the Move 6PH04 (11th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nick.p97
anyone else get 4.1A for the max charge on that ring question??

Yes I did
Reply 461
Original post by iceangel8
You will definitely get some ecf I wouldn't worry it was a straight out trick question which threw me a bit at first but I think it was just 3.3 as one plate had a deficiency of 3.3 and the other one had accumulated 3.3 as charge moves from one to the other.

Ah okay that's reassuring. So annoyed cos you had to use that in the second part tho :/ That makes sense!
Pretty nice paper to cheer me up after the flop that f324 was yesterday and give a boost of confidence. Only mistake I'm aware of doing was taking 6.6 µC instead of 3.3
Reply 463
Original post by cerlohee
I have a really bad memory but could we try to compile a list of all the questions to make an unofficial markscheme and I'll add it to the original post.

For the momentum one, did people put that the increase in KE had to be due to chemical converstion to kinetic energy in the shuttle? Or am I jsut getting my markschemes muddled up lool

I'll try and write down the questions I remember.

Q11.a) Draw the direction the copper(?) rod will move in.
b) State the direction of magnetic field that will cause the rod to move to the right.

Q12. This was to do with quarks, specifically the pi- pion. The first bit was select the quark composition and the second was convert the mass (140 MeV, I think) to kg.

Q13. This was about the boy in the merry-go-round thing. Find the minimum time taken for the boy to complete one revolution given that the boy's mass is 20 kg and the size of the frictional force is 0.35*(weight of the boy). The second part was: Explain how the time changes if a child of different mass sits on the merry-go-round.

Q14. This was the 6 marks question about the probe in space. Discuss whether conservation of momentum and energy applies and why its speed increased.

Q(I don't know) A question about capacitors. A circuit diagram of a battery and capacitor connected in series was given. The capacitance was 220 nF and the charge on each plate was 3.3 uC, with one having a plus sign and the other a minus sign.
Part 1: Calculate the voltage of the battery and the energy stored by the capacitor.
Part 2: Calculate the time taken for the capacitor to discharge 80% of its charge.
Part 3: Use and equation to determine whether the time taken for the energy stored in the capacitor is greater than or less than the time taken for the charge on the capacitor to half
Part 4: State two advantages of using a data logger to measure the voltage on the capacitor (I think).

Q(I don't know) Part 1: State what is meant by Faraday's law.
Part 2: A diagram of a magnet hung vertically (with S at the bottom and N at the top) on a spring with it placed inside a copper ring was given. The question was: The magnet is displaced and then let go. It oscillates. Why does this produce an alternating current in the ring?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cerlohee
I have a really bad memory but could we try to compile a list of all the questions to make an unofficial markscheme and I'll add it to the original post.

For the momentum one, did people put that the increase in KE had to be due to chemical converstion to kinetic energy in the shuttle? Or am I jsut getting my markschemes muddled up lool

My freidn wrote that. I didnt

Posted from TSR Mobile
direction of current in the copper rod?
Was did you put as the base units for the permitivity of free space?
I thought kinetic energy isn't conserved because chemical energy is transferred to kinetic energy?
Original post by johntoby

kg^-1 m^-3 s^4 A^2 i think

Down?
Original post by bbyturtlexox
energy of photon

I don't think that's right. Energy of a photon = hf, and E=mc^2 can't be applied as a photon has no mass

A friend and I got current going downwards
Original post by Eeeeeeee
I thought kinetic energy isn't conserved because chemical energy is transferred to kinetic energy?

kinetic energy in the system increases but total energy is conserved
Original post by ertuu
I'll try and write down the questions I remember.

Q11.a) Draw the direction the copper(?) rod will move in.
b) State the direction of magnetic field that will cause the rod to move to the right.

Q12. This was to do with quarks, specifically the pi- pion. The first bit was select the quark composition and the second was convert the mass (140 MeV, I think) to kg.

Q13. a. minimum time for a single revolution where the child won't slip off
b. if the mass of the child was higher, explain the effect of this on the time

Q14. This was the 6 marks question about the probe in space. Discuss whether conservation of momentum and energy applies and why its speed increased.

:smile:
Down?

I said down
Original post by johntoby

I got C kg^-1 m^-3 s^2
Down?

i had it going down and then part two i said it was into the page, wasn't sure why that second part was 2 marks though :/
Poll on difficulty:

http://strawpoll.me/4601250
i had it going down and then part two i said it was into the page, wasn't sure why that second part was 2 marks though :/

Same! So I also said perpendicular to the current?
Original post by andysharp
I don't think that's right. Energy of a photon = hf, and E=mc^2 can't be applied as a photon has no mass

no it was; the energy of the photons produced when a proton and antiproton collide , or something like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending