The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Track Apprenticeship Scheme 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurakyna
As someone who has spent the past 3 years working full time on various minimum wages (apprenticeship min and then 18-20 yr old min) until a year ago when I finally got a job that paid me 15k, this apprenticeship is a lifesaver. I'll finally be paid enough to be able to save, live away from parents and run a car.
Plus after the two years I think we'd get at least the department min for eo, which seems to be in the low 20's outside of London.
I'm just so ecstatic about finally getting a job that's got prospects and it pays so much more than anything I've had before.
Actually, how many of you are school leavers and never worked before? I've worked from 17-21 and I found it a real shock for the first 6 months or so, it's so different from schoo!

I'm a school leaver but I've been working in the family business since I was 15, but never had an actual job per se. So it'll be a bit of a shock to the system for the first couple months. Oh and btw we start on the department minimums for EO level, so if you're in HMRC outside of London it's around £22600!
As someone who has spent the past 3 years working full time on various minimum wages (apprenticeship min and then 18-20 yr old min) until a year ago when I finally got a job that paid me 15k, this apprenticeship is a lifesaver. I'll finally be paid enough to be able to save, live away from parents and run a car.
Plus after the two years I think we'd get at least the department min for eo, which seems to be in the low 20's outside of London.
I'm just so ecstatic about finally getting a job that's got prospects and it pays so much more than anything I've had before.
Actually, how many of you are school leavers and never worked before? I've worked from 17-21 and I found it a real shock for the first 6 months or so, it's so different from schoo!

Royal Air Force from 17-21, towards the end I was on 27k. Left that and I haven't even got close to the pay since. The last thing I did was a cadetship with the merchant navy which was around 10k a year and you had to pay accommodation costs whilst at college. This for me, like others, is a lifesaver.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joshsolman
Royal Air Force from 17-21, towards the end I was on 27k. Left that and I haven't even got close to the pay since. The last thing I did was a cadetship with the merchant navy which was around 10k a year and you had to pay
accommodation costs whilst at college. This for me, like others, is a lifesaver.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am currently 16, 17 next week and have just finished my AS. I didn't want to go to college but with parents like mine that was not an option so after finding this I was happy I found something I enjoyed. I also work though part time, well 32 hours a week on top of college so an intense timetable and hard work won't come as a shock to me. I know some people don't like the fact there are going to be younger individuals on the course. However young apprentices are just as likely to succeed with the motivation 😄
Original post by Lucydrysdale
I am currently 16, 17 next week and have just finished my AS. I didn't want to go to college but with parents like mine that was not an option so after finding this I was happy I found something I enjoyed. I also work though part time, well 32 hours a week on top of college so an intense timetable and hard work won't come as a shock to me. I know some people don't like the fact there are going to be younger individuals on the course. However young apprentices are just as likely to succeed with the motivation 😄

I've found working with younger apprentices a lot better. Less bitter and more eager. Sometimes they're immature. But so was I at 16..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Completely agree! Sounds like some people expect to earn more than is realistic. I'm 30 and have been working 2 jobs for the last 12 years. I finally started earning £17500 last year which was enough to run a house and car without the second job.....just! So, £19.5 is an awesome wage for me, at 30! and to have the opportunities for training and progression too......well, life experience tells me that that is rare! This apprenticeship is like a breath of fresh air to me, a chance to get out of 'just working to get by' and have a real career! Good luck to everyone taking it up and don't scoff at the wage! As a young person, without a degree you'll be hard pushed to find this money elsewhere. (I'm in Yorkshire by the way so am aware that in London it's a different situation!)

I'm 18 and just finishing my A2s. For the last 2 years I've attended sixth form for 35 hours a week (8.30-3.30 mon-fri), plus studying in my spare time and I've also worked 20-30 hours a week on top. I wouldn't change anything though, I love working hard and it's allowed me to learn to drive, run a car and get a flat with my boyfriend :smile:
I'm so looking forward to this new job as I think it's the start of my career and I'm pleased my hard work has paid off! :smile:
Reply 1026
I got accepted which is good news, however I originally had my first choice as Commercial, and they placed me as a Business Admin Apprentice. I know nothing about Business Admin as I didn't read up on that bit. Can someone tell me the roles of this apprenticeship?

Also, how long do I need to wait for them to reply to me after they do the health, security and required minimum qualifications checks?
Original post by KaineP
I got accepted which is good news, however I originally had my first choice as Commercial, and they placed me as a Business Admin Apprentice. I know nothing about Business Admin as I didn't read up on that bit. Can someone tell me the roles of this apprenticeship?

Also, how long do I need to wait for them to reply to me after they do the health, security and required minimum qualifications checks?

Did you find out just now?
Reply 1028
Original post by AFellaW
I'm a school leaver but I've been working in the family business since I was 15, but never had an actual job per se. So it'll be a bit of a shock to the system for the first couple months. Oh and btw we start on the department minimums for EO level, so if you're in HMRC outside of London it's around £22600!

Hey, where did you hear this about the salary, if you don't mind answering?
Reply 1029
Anyone from Manchester heard anything this week?
Original post by K94W
Anyone from Manchester heard anything this week?

I had my interview in Manchester and heard back with an offer last week for cyber security, not sure if that's because they're likely gonna put me in London or what.
Reply 1031
Original post by Ilereth
I had my interview in Manchester and heard back with an offer last week for cyber security, not sure if that's because they're likely gonna put me in London or what.

Thanks for replying. My first choice was commercial in the North West, yeah I guess they might prioritise London before other areas. I really want to know either way now
Interview in Manchester and been offered cyber too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1033
Original post by Dazman0106
For an apprenticeship £19,500 is anexcellent wage.

Appreciate that it is a good wage, particularly for schoolleavers but as someone who has left college in 2013 and worked ever sinceit is not that great a salary for me personally.
I am a young person without a degree and I earn more than 20k,maybe I should count myself lucky but I need to earn more. I currentlywork the equivalent of an E-grade job in CS so D grade would be a step up forme. I am not too bothered about the apprenticeship, its getting my foot in thedoor into the kind of job you wouldn’t necessarily be able to walk straightinto.
�
Reply 1034
I also spoke to my reference - she said they asked about me as a person and did not specify a role.
Reply 1035
Completely baffled by the recruitment process now!

At the assessment centre, when handing them my proof of address, I asked them if a letter from the council would be okay, and was told yes. Then when I got the email through asking for all docs to be provided by the 8th, I called up to confirm they had everything from me, and was told yes...but today I just got a call saying that they were missing proof of address for me! Ahhhh!
Hey peeps - I've been offered a digital & technology post but I applied for business admin.I think the only reason they have offered me the digital & technology one is because of the fact I have two A Levels in a STEM subject. However, I don't know anything about it or what it involves. So i was wondering if there is anyone on here who actually wanted it the Digital & Technology apprenticeship or who has also been offered it? And if they know what this apprenticeship actually involves and what the benefits are because I have a bad feeling it's just going to be providing basic IT support to civil servants...
Has anyone from Milton Keynes/midlands heard back yet? I had my assessment day on the 29th of May and still waiting to hear back and was just wonering if anyone from this area has.

And well done everyone who has received job offers!
Reply 1038
Just spoke to capita the first of the op development offers will be sent out today with the rest being sent out over the next few working days.
Reply 1039
Original post by G3251
Just spoke to capita the first of the op development offers will be sent out today with the rest being sent out over the next few working days.

That's great to hear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending