The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by M1llward
The Electric field strength should have been negative as the charge was negative. -1560 Vm^-1.

I got this wrong.

Also any clues on the damping question? I wrote there would be more damping without the ring as the total energy given to the system with the ring will be greater as GPE=mgh. The work done against air resistance is the same as time period is not affected - because the pendulum system has more energy with the ring it will take longer for the initial energy to be lost through doing work against air resistance. Thus the amplitude will decrease at a slower rate.

Your answer makes sense assuming the initial displacement of both was the same and it wasn't pushed by a force(to its initial displacement). I can't remember if it mentioned this.
Original post by king cobra
Did people get 1.4 for the height ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes

Original post by Ruyshi
Surely the ring has no effect on damping... It was placed in such a way that no extra surface area was provided to the cone.. so no effect on air resistance..
time period is no different, so velocity is no difference and so again air resistance does not change..

I said what you did but I realise its wrong

light damping has no effect on the time period because Amplitude is not related to time period, but with damping the amplitude generally increases

heavier damping should be with the ring on i think
For the coil with a power supply and ammeter, which way should the needle have initially gone? And which way should it have gone in the next part?
I explained using lens's law and faradays law, did anyone else do this?
Original post by Greg213
Yep

Don't you get 4mJ from the battery and then minus 2mj to get the energy used up which is 2. So B couldn't havw been incorrect.
First question 10000% was weight, by laws of dimensional analysis 😋
What was the capacitance curve supposed to be? I didn't even register that one of them was supposedly 'k' ohms
Original post by NEWT0N
Yes, and KE is proportional to v^2 since the factor of 0.5m is constant since both are electrons and therefore have the same mass m.

Kinetic energy of x is twice that of y, hence vx2=0.5vy2v_x^2=0.5v_y^2 by what I just said. Hence vxvy=0.5\frac{v_x}{v_y}=\sqrt{0.5}.

Now, the field exerts a force of F=BQv on a charge Q moving at right angles to the field with velocity v. BQ is the same for both electrons for obvious reasons, so F is proportional to v. Therefore, FxFy=vxvy=0.5\frac{F_x}{F_y}=\frac{v_x}{v_y}=\sqrt{0.5} which is the same as 12\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}. (option B I think)

I got that too! And i think it was option C but it doesnt matter
Original post by TheRAG
For Coulombs law, would I get any marks for quoting the formula and saying what each symbol meant?

Yeah they've accepted that in past papers so should be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NEWT0N
Yes, and KE is proportional to v^2 since the factor of 0.5m is constant since both are electrons and therefore have the same mass m.

Kinetic energy of x is twice that of y, hence vx2=0.5vy2v_x^2=0.5v_y^2 by what I just said. Hence vxvy=0.5\frac{v_x}{v_y}=\sqrt{0.5}.

Now, the field exerts a force of F=BQv on a charge Q moving at right angles to the field with velocity v. BQ is the same for both electrons for obvious reasons, so F is proportional to v. Therefore, FxFy=vxvy=0.5\frac{F_x}{F_y}=\frac{v_x}{v_y}=\sqrt{0.5} which is the same as 12\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}. (option B I think)

Yeah, might be the one for that question

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434021396.113753.jpg

My multi choice, might not have done well though
Original post by Humbers
No, force = rate of change momentum look up newton's 2nd law

if you don't believe newton Force = Mass x Acceleration = Kg x Ms-2 = N!!!!!!

by saying unit of force = unit of acceleration you're saying that Mass has no unit, which is totally wrong

So the answer should have been weight?
Original post by Disney0702
But the unit of rate of change of momentum is Newtons as it equals Force. So how can it be acceleration. I do not understand

It isn't acceleration the guy you quoted got it wrong. You are right rate of change of momentum is force which has the unit Newtons
Original post by AR_95
yes

light damping has no effect on the time period because Amplitude is not related to time period, but with damping the amplitude generally increases

I thought it would be more dampened with the ring off because the air resistance would be the dampening force, and with no ring the air resistance would have had a greater effect than with the ring on?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4193
Original post by Alexie56
Don't you get 4mJ from the battery and then minus 2mj to get the energy used up which is 2. So B couldn't havw been incorrect.

So, everyone agrees A was right (as in correct so this was not the answer) Between BCE. if C was wrong then so was D and vice versa (there were only two components not including the cell) So B was left
Original post by AR_95
yes

Less damping 100% certain. Just imagine swinging a pice of paper from a pendulum & a mass from a pendulum, which takes longer to stop?...
Original post by smoothER
Same, and I know two others who got this

I got it too
Original post by TheRAG
So the answer should have been weight?

indeed

Weight is a force so has unit N

or

Weight = mg = Kg ms-2 which is another unit of force
Original post by chizz1889
First question 10000% was weight, by laws of dimensional analysis 😋

Oh yeah, you're right. I was confused that a=ma haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k9000
So, everyone agrees A was right (as in correct so this was not the answer) Between BCE. if C was wrong then so was D and vice versa (there were only two components not including the cell) So B was left

Nope B is wrong as some energy is used to oppose resistance in the circuit
Original post by TheRAG
For the coil with a power supply and ammeter, which way should the needle have initially gone? And which way should it have gone in the next part?
I explained using lens's law and faradays law, did anyone else do this?

Yeah I said the needle would initially go in one direction and then in the opposite direction because of Lenzs law

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending