The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Environmental Studies/Science

Scroll to see replies

Exposure is when it directly penetrates the skin and body cells etc but contamination is when it is absorbed by an object or another source that then enters pathway before getting to you e.g. Contamination of control rods as they become radioactive when before they were not
Original post by AmyT997
same, 22 i got, did you get that?

I don't think it was where it crossed over I think it was where the biggest difference between insulation cost and cost to replace energy lost was because you're saving the most energy if you see what I mean - I.e. Expenditure compared to saving.
Original post by scottwhite
I put

Exposure - when you are within range of the radiation and are exposed to its effects
Contamination - when you come into contact with the source and it may exert its effect even when you have left the original source. I.e. You take a bit with you

Exposure is when it directly penetrates the skin and body cells etc but contamination is when it is absorbed by an object or another source that then enters pathway before getting to you e.g. Contamination of control rods as they become radioactive when before they were not?
Agreed Scott?
Reply 83
Original post by Aaron Penberthy
I don't think it was where it crossed over I think it was where the biggest difference between insulation cost and cost to replace energy lost was because you're saving the most energy if you see what I mean - I.e. Expenditure compared to saving.

But would you not want the lowest cost to replace and lowest insulation cost? which was where they crossed.

I think it was were they crossed, because that is where the cost of insulation was canceled out by the cost of energy saved

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by greencat55
I think it was were they crossed, because that is where the cost of insulation was canceled out by the cost of energy saved

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. Otherwise the cost of insulation would be higher than that saved.
Aaron is making me doubt my entire paper by saying different to all my answers! :frown:
Original post by greencat55

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it wasn't cost of energy saved - the cost of saving energy is installing the insulation as that's what saving it - thus it's the value of the energy saved because otherwise it would be insulation versus insulation which makes no sense
Exposure is when it directly penetrates the skin and body cells etc but contamination is when it is absorbed by an object or another source that then enters pathway before getting to you e.g. Contamination of control rods as they become radioactive when before they were not?
Agreed Scott?

Agree with exposure. But I'm pretty sure the book said the words where you "come into contact" with the souce. That's why encapsulation prevents contamination but you're still exposed?
Aaron is making me doubt my entire paper by saying different to all my answers! :frown:

Sorry mate haha - my answer to exposure and contamination was the same was it not?
Well, I hated it... Totally screwed up the whole noise pollution and battery question.

Quite liked the essay on solid waste though... Probably the best bit of the whole paper for me :s-smilie:
Reply 91
I did essay C about waste, thought I smashed it! :biggrin: haha
I thought it was a good exam in general, like the questions seemed 'nice'
Both versions of contamination will be right, mine is directly right but you might get the marks as well Scott - http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu/projects/eprep/radiological/partidx_09_01.html
Reply 93
thought the exam was horrible definitely the worst one!!!
Reply 94
What did people put for the organic mercury having more safety precautions that the inorganic?
I put about organic being a more pure form ?
Original post by joeheat
What did people put for the organic mercury having more safety precautions that the inorganic?
I put about organic being a more pure form ?

Organic mercury is liposoluble and can therefore pass into the brain and placenta whereas inorganic mercury cannot.
Reply 96
Organic mercury is liposoluble and can therefore pass into the brain and placenta whereas inorganic mercury cannot.

do you think i would of got the mark for saying its a more pure form than inorganic so if ingested could cause more damage as it was only 1 mark ?
Original post by joeheat
do you think i would of got the mark for saying its a more pure form than inorganic so if ingested could cause more damage as it was only 1 mark ?

Purity doesn't come into it, the forms of mercury are liquid, inorganic and organic and the only important characteristic differences are liquid can be inhaled as lung vapour, inorganic and enter gut and through skin via sweat, and organic can do all 3 as well as being liposoluble;

Sorry buddy done a PPQ where I answered pure and it's completely rejected because it's a known guess answer

never thought of that. like i said earlier it's so obvious when you read the mark scheme or find out the answer!
never thought of that. like i said earlier it's so obvious when you read the mark scheme or find out the answer!

I know mate, what doesn't help is they hide stuff like that in the textbook in far corners of pages or in the middle of some waffling paragraph meanwhile it is important to know; wish there were more questions like it though because I don't fall for the mistakes xD hated all the data analysis questions like the QC noise thing
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending