The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NEWT0N
Why were there 50 answer boxes for the multiple choice?

There are other AQA subject exams that do multiple choice too and they use the same answer sheet. I'm guessing some of the subjects have 50 multiple choice questions
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chizz1889
Q is negatively charged so work is done by the positive test charge

Thank god! I said Q was negative as well
Original post by NEWT0N
initial was just BAN because it was perpendicular to the field

Final was 0 because parallel to the field

So average emf was in fact BAN divided by time

I hope so cos that's what I put but I feel like I got it wrong 😊
Original post by NEWT0N
Why were there 50 answer boxes for the multiple choice?

Its a standard multiple choice answer sheet, so its used for other exams where there may be more than 25 questions
Original post by xela238
I got something like 0.12?

Yep emf is 0.12V

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jf1994
There was another MC sheet, didn't you do it?

What other one?
Wasn't a fan of that at all tbh. Felt like an easy paper but as someone prone to brainfarts I'd have preferred a harder one.
Original post by QueNNch
Q.22 is 1/√2
I got 21 wrong (I put A)

All other answers SAME! Weeeeeeee :biggrin:

Q.20 is wrong, it would be 0, obviously the force is twice as great but the current is reversed to the force acts upwards thus the reading is zero, it asks for the reading not the relative force :smile:
Original post by salicional
Do you think it's worth writing a complaint to AQA about the obvious typo in the capacitors question? Just in case it hasn't come to their attention that their proof-reading process is awful...

What was the typo, don't think I noticed!
Original post by chizz1889
Definitely not incorrect, I got it incorrect I said no damping. Change in Damping is not how to air resistance varies. It his how the air resistance varies in relation to change in momentum. If you don't believe me go and do an experiment, damping has no effect on time period in the first place.

The added mass doesn't effect damping. Of course damping affects the time period, but the mass added has not increased the damping force, as the time period is independent to the mass added, vmax is independent, and this equation here, the 'drag force' which is what the damping force in this instance is, is denoted below. It is true a damping force changes the time period, but changing the mass doesn't change the maximum velocity , assuming the ring has no significant area, which is a fair assumption. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434024041.290457.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've seen a general trend that the grade boundaries have been getting higher and higher every year for PHYA4.

It will definitely stay the same or go higher this year too, considering the paper was easier than last years
Original post by Chazley123
Q.20 is wrong, it would be 0, obviously the force is twice as great but the current is reversed to the force acts upwards thus the reading is zero, it asks for the reading not the relative force :smile:

No, there has been a very similar question to this in a previous year (identical but with different numbers) and what they put for 20 is right :smile:
What did people write for the ammeter questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amanzz
The added mass doesn't effect damping. Of course damping affects the time period, but the mass added has not increased the damping force, as the time period is independent to the mass added, vmax is independent, and this equation here, the 'drag force' which is what the damping force in this instance is, is denoted below. It is true a damping force changes the time period, but changing the mass doesn't change the maximum velocity , assuming the ring has no significant area, which is a fair assumption. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434024041.290457.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Approximately everything you said there is wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Disney0702
What other one?

Lol, a lot of confusion (CD) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the capicitance Discharge question, what did people get for how long capacitor could be used before needing to recharge

I got 1000
Original post by QueNNch
Yep emf is 0.12V

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dont you divide by square root of 2 due to avergae, for 2 marks part ii divided by time seems too generous
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lau14
What was the typo, don't think I noticed!

The first part of the question used a 150Ω resistor, and the second part a 300,000Ω resistor. This lead to a graph that could not be drawn accurately, as it had to start at 1/2000th of the height of the original line! Clearly they missed a 'kilo' off the 150Ω, or added one in on the 300kΩ
Original post by ssargithan
Dont you divideutby square root of 2 due to avergae, for 2 marks part ii divided by time seems too generous

No idea
Original post by NEWT0N
YES

YES MAN FINALLY A QUESTION I ACTUALLY GOT RIGHT LOOOOOOL

i was stuck on this one for 20 minutes. Was kicking myself because I had done it before in a past paper!!!

Quick Reply

Latest