The Student Room Group

Harvard University 'affirmative action' discriminates against Asians

Asian Americans have filed law suits against Harvard University because of its unfair practice of discriminating against Asians in favour of other minority groups.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083757/Asian-groups-file-complaint-Harvard-admission-practices.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How is this only just happening? Harvard (and other top Ivies) have been doing it for years. There's at least one study (at least a year old) which showed the difference in standard across different minority groups (and the main result to take away from it, if I remember correctly, was that if you were Asian you had to do much better, if you were black you could afford to do worse).
Original post by Noble.
How is this only just happening? Harvard (and other top Ivies) have been doing it for years. There's at least one study (at least a year old) which showed the difference in standard across different minority groups (and the main result to take away from it, if I remember correctly, was that if you were Asian you had to do much better, if you were black you could afford to do worse).

Asians are about 5% of US population but make up 20% of Harvard students. obviously Harvard is panicking because Asian application are only increasing.

I've been saying for ages 'positive discrimination' is not for minorities in general, but only select minorities.

Maybe now the hypocrites who thought it would benefit them might start taking a moral stance against it. No one seemed to care when the assumption was that it was only white people who were discriminated against.
But isn't it 'positive'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
haha brilliant, can't wait to see how this all turns out.

But yeh it's the 21st century people should not be emitted to universities based on their ethnicity or color of their skin, hopefully this helps to change that.
Affirmative action is an immoral evil!
Lets not forget that Harvard were the ones who started "holistic" admissions to limit the growing number of Jews who would have been admitted in the early 1900s. Affirmative action is nothing but history being rehashed.

Although, who can blame them. If they stopped with quotas and ended up with 95% Asians and Whites in an admission season, they would have been met with chants of racism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Fango_Jett
Lets not forget that Harvard were the ones who started "holistic" admissions to limit the growing number of Jews who would have been admitted in the early 1900s. Affirmative action is nothing but history being rehashed.

Although, who can blame them. If they stopped with quotas and ended up with 95% Asians and Whites in an admission season, they would have been met with chants of racism.

To which they should say "So what?"
'We are seeking equal treatment regardless of race,' said Chunyan Li, a professor and civil rights activist, who said they'd rather universities use income rather than race in affirmative action policies.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083757/Asian-groups-file-complaint-Harvard-admission-practices.html#ixzz3cjNoZNAe
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

argue that affirmative action policies should be banned at colleges across the nation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083757/Asian-groups-file-complaint-Harvard-admission-practices.html#ixzz3cjO18vth
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

oh lawd.
Original post by capitalismstinks
Asians are about 5% of US population but make up 20% of Harvard students. obviously Harvard is panicking because Asian application are only increasing.

Why should they panic getting the top students?
I'm Chinese and I spent primary school time in China, I am now doing my GCSEs in the UK. When I started attending school in UK, I was very shocked at how much the students take their education for granted and aren't that hard-working. For most Asians, we all believe that education has a great importance, and we work so hard because we want a good education. Our parents would support us however they could to help us get into the best Universities, and we will all try our absolute best too. I don't think some people understand how terrible it will feel to not get into a good University just because of your race, and you have been working harder than the people who have been accepted. Reading this article truly makes me sad, and I hope Harvard understands that just because something is legal, it doesn't mean it is acceptable.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Why should they panic getting the top students?

Because they called racist if they end up with 95% Whites and Asians. In order to fill diversity quotas they hold ethnic groups to different standards, which in itself can be viewed as racist. It's virtually impossible to get into these liberal arts schools as a middle class White or an Asian, unless your test scores and extracurriculars are perfect. Latinos and Blacks are held to a different standard, even if they come from a similar economic background, and can get away with sub par scores.
(edited 8 years ago)
Because they called racist if they end up with 95% Whites and Asians. In order to fill diversity quotas they hold ethnic groups to different standards, which in itself can be viewed as racist. It's virtually impossible to get into these liberal arts schools as a middle class White or an Asian, unless your test scores and extracurriculars are perfect. Latinos and Blacks are held to a different standard, even if they come from a similar economic background, and can get away with sub par scores.

In a way, it'd be like Oxbridge being attacked for having too many private school pupils when those applicants do have better grades.

But the difference here would be that there would not only be white students but also Asian (all kinds of Asians) students, meaning people who claim racism would then need to claim that it's racist exclusively only against black applicants. It'd be a lot more difficult to resonate.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
In a way, it'd be like Oxbridge being attacked for having too many private school pupils when those applicants do have better grades.

But the difference here would be that there would not only be white students but also Asian (all kinds of Asians) students, meaning people who claim racism would then need to claim that it's racist exclusively only against black applicants. It'd be a lot more difficult to resonate.

Ehh, I doubt Oxbridge has quotas to fill in like in American universities, and it's probably not as to the extent as to what's going on in the US, and it's certainly not as bad the holistic admission system in the US.
Asian Americans have filed law suits against Harvard University because of its unfair practice of discriminating against Asians in favour of other minority groups.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083757/Asian-groups-file-complaint-Harvard-admission-practices.html

Well according to the article you've provided Harvard has not yet been found to use affirmative action/positive discrimination in its admissions process. The group that has sued them have only claimed that the university uses it.

I've been saying for ages 'positive discrimination' is not for minorities in general, but only select minorities.

Because Harvard is a huge university and will take many international students.
Ehh, I doubt Oxbridge has quotas to fill in like in American universities, and it's probably not as to the extent as to what's going on in the US, and it's certainly not as bad the holistic admission system in the US.

No, there aren't quotas. I'm saying they admit based on actual grades and have been criticised for having too many privately educated applicants (who do tend to have higher grades due to their better family background and other factors).

I'm just saying whilst what you said was true, it's different because it is not going to just be white students, but multiple different ethnicities. Also, doing it by economic background could alleviate the effect.
Original post by SHallowvale
Well according to the article you've provided Harvard has not yet been found to use affirmative action/positive discrimination in its admissions process. The group that has sued them have only claimed that the university uses it.

Because Harvard is a huge university and will take many international students.

No, Harvard and almost every Ivy League/Top Libarts uni uses affirmative action, as well as MIT and some other prestigious schools. It's a well known fact and the universities themselves admit to using in the process. They have been doing it for years, and they have made no attempt to keep it a secret.

Some research by princeton researchers found that, even after controlling for grades, economic background, legacy and such whites were three times, Hispanics six times, and blacks more than 15 times as likely to be accepted.at a US university as Asian Americans. Now this doesn't prove discrimination by the admissions team or anything, but it certainly raises some questions as to how fair affirmative action is. It's similar to how Jews have been historically punished or persecuted for being successful.

Source:
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9072.html
http://www.apa.org/pi/oema/resources/ethnicity-health/asian-american/article-admission.aspx
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Xiuchen
hen I started attending school in UK, I was very shocked at how much the students take their education for granted and aren't that hard-working. For most Asians, we all believe that education has a great importance, and we work so hard because we want a good education

That's because we have these things called benefits, which pulls us backwards. It will be funny when it all explodes though, wonder who will pay the taxes.
Original post by SotonianOne
That's because we have these things called benefits, which pulls us backwards. It will be funny when it all explodes though, wonder who will pay the taxes.

Dunno if it'll be "funny" or terrifying lol, either way it'll be interesting:biggrin:
Its interesting people brought up Jewish quotas in the past.

I looked at the figures and 25% of Harvard is white Jewish today despite them making up just 6% of top achievers and 3% of population.....So i was right about 'affirmative action' being only for select minority groups! lol

'Holistic' approach seems to mean Jewish faculty ignoring grades and just giving places to Jews because they are Jewish. Obviously, if Harvard was serious about diversity these numbers would have to be drastically cut. Instead its Asians and white non-jewish being rejected to make room for quotas.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-myth-of-american-meritocracy/
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending