The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Josh771
Still ECF though no matte the answer :smile: everyone I talked to after the exam got the same as me using the N system, but fingers crossed for low boundaries!! I got extreamely excited when I read the first question as I'd spent 10 minutes before the exam explaining how it works with something on a table to everyone!!!

You actually knew how to answer the first question?! I left it til last and babbled about how the student was talking about the weight but the weight varies depending on its position in the gravitational field blah blah blah and that the actual opposite force is from the centre of gravity of the moon... It was my "Ladies, you have 5 minutes left" panic scribble!
Original post by Josh771
Ahhh well, everyone I talked to did the same as me so at least I'm not the only one! Still, the rest of the paper seemed to be ok, and hopefully a load of ECF marks for the weird bits

Everyone I talked to used both volumes so at least I am not the only one! Someone upload paper so we can see who is right!
teacher teacher cool, where are you?
Original post by maya997
What did people get for the time of the photons question?

very small value I believe, can't remember exactrly
Original post by maya997

Something really tiny, in the order of 1000th of a second
Original post by rachelc142

I ended up with this too. My friend did KE = WD so 1/2 m. v^2 = Fs

I did SUVAT so didnt have an M in miine??!!
Original post by verello12
very small value I believe, can't remember exactrly

I recall 2ms ish?
Original post by maya997

I think it was around 2 = 10^-3

Original post by tory_lee_x
Out of interest, how many people who sat the exam today do maths? What are you guys applying for Uni to do? I don't do maths (I hate it) and I've got a place to study veterinary medicine :smile:

me, and further maths, applied for physics :-)
Original post by chem@uni

I did suvat too and ended up with weird trig. I think this was the wrong thing to do tbh. Conservation of energy seemed to work much better!
Original post by tory_lee_x
You actually knew how to answer the first question?! I left it til last and babbled about how the student was talking about the weight but the weight varies depending on its position in the gravitational field blah blah blah and that the actual opposite force is from the centre of gravity of the moon... It was my "Ladies, you have 5 minutes left" panic scribble!

Ahah yeah I hope so at least, its because the force acting on the equipment by the surface is a reaction to the force due to the interaction with the equipment and the surface and not the weight on the surface. Also it needs to be the same type of force, and the weight isn't an attractive force. The reaction to the weight would be a frictional force I think

Suvat is the correct method and the distance should not be dependent on the mass.

d=u^2sin(2θ)/g
I did suvat too and ended up with weird trig. I think this was the wrong thing to do tbh. Conservation of energy seemed to work much better!

How did you do that?
where is he?!??!! :-(

I did the former

I ended up with this too. My friend did KE = WD so 1/2 m. v^2 = Fs

Watching this thread :tongue:

Will probably type it up when he's at home
Original post by suprisefish
Suvat is the correct method and the distance should not be dependent on the mass.

d=u^2sin(2θ)/g

Oh I got d=U^2cosOsinO/g
Original post by Elcor
How did you do that?

my friend did 1/2 mv^2 = force x distance
Oh I got d=U^2cosOsinO/g

you seem to be missing a 2. 2sinθcosθ = sin2θ
my friend did 1/2 mv^2 = force x distance

What force? What distance? You can't do it by energy.
Original post by suprisefish
you seem to be missing a 2. 2sinθcosθ = sin2θ

You dont need that.... As long as you state they are constant as its a fixed angle, a lot of physics people dont do core so wouldn't know that identity
Original post by Josh771
You dont need that.... As long as you state they are constant as its a fixed angle, a lot of physics people dont do core so wouldn't know that identity

yeah it won't be in the mark scheme. but u will need the correct equation with either 2sinθcosθ or sin2θ
Original post by sometimestigz
it was massively harder than past papers- have you DONE any past papers?! I've been regularly getting 100%s on past papers I've never seen before but this exam took it out of me. Maybe you're possessed by the spirit of Newton or sommit.

Hahahaha XD I found it quite hard but most of my peers said it was decent (one guy even said he enjoyed it o_o') so I'm gonna say overall it was hard but not the hardest so far. I hope you're right though; the lower the grade boundaries the better!

Latest