The Student Room Group

A2 12th June 2015 OCR Classical Civilisation Comedy Comic Drama

Hi!

Haven't seen a thread started about the Comedy paper tomorrow, how is everyone feeling about it?

Any ideas of themes that may come up?

Thanks and good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Hey doing the paper tomorrow. Really nervous about it. What questions do you think will turn up? I got a b last year in both modules so I need two As if I'm going to the A which I need for uni.
Reply 2
Original post by Clemmy1234
Hey doing the paper tomorrow. Really nervous about it. What questions do you think will turn up? I got a b last year in both modules so I need two As if I'm going to the A which I need for uni.

I was thinking maybe a big essay question on slaves? Just because I don't think they've done a large essay on it recently... someone I know thinks women will come up as an essay question or men but I don't really think they ever ask about men.

Yeah I need an A in Classics to get into uni so really hoping Chorus' don't come up again, I don't think they will.

Do you have any ideas?
Reply 3
Original post by Andromedai
I was thinking maybe a big essay question on slaves? Just because I don't think they've done a large essay on it recently... someone I know thinks women will come up as an essay question or men but I don't really think they ever ask about men.

Yeah I need an A in Classics to get into uni so really hoping Chorus' don't come up again, I don't think they will.

Do you have any ideas?

Hey, I am doing it tomorrow too! Yep I think slave or women will come up, any ideas about what texts will be in the commentary?
I think there was a chorus question in the 2014 paper so I doubt that would ever come up...
Yep, same this seems to be trend of needing an A for uni arghh I need 81% in both and I will be fine!
Reply 4
Original post by Lakesx
Hey, I am doing it tomorrow too! Yep I think slave or women will come up, any ideas about what texts will be in the commentary?
I think there was a chorus question in the 2014 paper so I doubt that would ever come up...
Yep, same this seems to be trend of needing an A for uni arghh I need 81% in both and I will be fine!

Yeah there was a Chorus question in the commentary section, they can't really make an essay out of Chorus' since there aren't any in Plautus.

I have no idea about the comment section... it was a passage from Lysistrata last year and Swaggering Soldier and in 2013 it was Pseudolous and Frogs so it's hard to tell... Lysistrata could be almost anything since it's only ever been one comment question :s

I think slavery would be a good question although I can't think of anything to write about from Lysistrata to do with slavery.
I have a feeling that it will swaggering soldier as this is only a second year it's been a text. But the other one would probably be frogs. I have feeling there will be a question comparing plesicles and calidorus. But its only a hunch. I hope they do slaves but I think it's to much to hope for. If there's one on the chorus i am doomed.
Reply 6
Yeah there was a Chorus question in the commentary section, they can't really make an essay out of Chorus' since there aren't any in Plautus.

I have no idea about the comment section... it was a passage from Lysistrata last year and Swaggering Soldier and in 2013 it was Pseudolous and Frogs so it's hard to tell... Lysistrata could be almost anything since it's only ever been one comment question :s

I think slavery would be a good question although I can't think of anything to write about from Lysistrata to do with slavery.

I think in 2011 they had a question- do dramas need a chorus? So they have done it before :s-smilie:

Hmm that is very true, I think Pseudolus will come up but I have no idea what they would write about, they is not much more to say! Maybe they might through a curve ball and use Lysistrata or Swaggering Soldier again ....

Hmm that is very true, I can only think of cinesia's servant being relevant... Do you think that the essay has to be relevant to all 4 texts?
Reply 7
Original post by Lakesx
I think in 2011 they had a question- do dramas need a chorus? So they have done it before :s-smilie:

Hmm that is very true, I think Pseudolus will come up but I have no idea what they would write about, they is not much more to say! Maybe they might through a curve ball and use Lysistrata or Swaggering Soldier again ....

Hmm that is very true, I can only think of cinesia's servant being relevant... Do you think that the essay has to be relevant to all 4 texts?

On some old papers they used to say stuff like you must refer to at least 2 plays or both playwrights. So I don't think it's necessary it just makes the questions a lot easier if you can reference all four... they would probably want at least a passing statement on Lysistrata I'd imagine.

I'm hoping fora Frogs commentary on either Aeacus scene or Landladies or Maids I don't think they've ever tested on that particular section before.

But yeah I think either Lysistrata or Swaggering Soldier will come up again to throw us off!
Reply 8
I have a feeling that it will swaggering soldier as this is only a second year it's been a text. But the other one would probably be frogs. I have feeling there will be a question comparing plesicles and calidorus. But its only a hunch. I hope they do slaves but I think it's to much to hope for. If there's one on the chorus i am doomed.

Chorus questions are awful I'd definitely avoid it, if it did happen to come up...
The essay has to be something which you can talk about 4 texts as really want you to use all of the texts you have studided in order to awnser the question. How are you guys revising. I have made a list of deffintions which are usefull and some summaries but i not sure what else i can do apart from looking at mark schemes.
Reply 10
The essay has to be something which you can talk about 4 texts as really want you to use all of the texts you have studided in order to awnser the question. How are you guys revising. I have made a list of deffintions which are usefull and some summaries but i not sure what else i can do apart from looking at mark schemes.

I'm lost on revision... so far I've re-read the plays and I've been looking at past mark schemes to see the type of things they want us to write. I;'m trying to make summaries of events or main scenes for reference in essays.
Reply 11

What type of things are you putting in definitions? Most maybe mock essay plans by going through mark scheme
Reply 12
On some old papers they used to say stuff like you must refer to at least 2 plays or both playwrights. So I don't think it's necessary it just makes the questions a lot easier if you can reference all four... they would probably want at least a passing statement on Lysistrata I'd imagine.

I'm hoping fora Frogs commentary on either Aeacus scene or Landladies or Maids I don't think they've ever tested on that particular section before.

But yeah I think either Lysistrata or Swaggering Soldier will come up again to throw us off!

Hmmm that is true, I think frogs will definitely come up but I think the examiners are going to play us :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Original post by Lakesx
Hmmm that is true, I think frogs will definitely come up but I think the examiners are going to play us :s-smilie:

I'm hoping if it is Frogs there won't be another part of Aeschylus vs. Euripides debate... I find that hard to talk about I can only ever think of a couple of points.
Original post by Lakesx
What type of things are you putting in definitions? Most maybe mock essay plans by going through mark scheme

Here are the deffintions I put togther. I have attached them below. basically they cover types of humour so I can comment in commentary question on what type of humour is used etc. I have structure definitions such as Agon, Parabasis.. etc I have some historical people and who they are from both lysistrata. and frogs. Finally I have definitions of the different stock characters used in roman plays.
Reply 15
Here are the deffintions I put togther. I have attached them below. basically they cover types of humour so I can comment in commentary question on what type of humour is used etc. I have structure definitions such as Agon, Parabasis.. etc I have some historical people and who they are from both lysistrata. and frogs. Finally I have definitions of the different stock characters used in roman plays.

Wow that looks really good! Thanks so much, I've been trying to get find some good terms I'm always stuck on what to use with comedy.

Do we need to know their clothing/outfits in detail?
I've found some stuff on their general appearances but I don't know how helpful it will be.
Wow that looks really good! Thanks so much, I've been trying to get find some good terms I'm always stuck on what to use with comedy.

Do we need to know their clothing/outfits in detail?
I've found some stuff on their general appearances but I don't know how helpful it will be.

I do not think so. unless they give a question about physical humour or the visual effect on the play it will be unlikely we need to talk about the apearence
I am so not prepared for this one, I've gone straight from a history exam to an english exam and now I can barely think :frown: My teacher told us to focus more on characterisation in Plautine and themes in Aristophanic....
Reply 18
I do not think so. unless they give a question about physical humour or the visual effect on the play it will be unlikely we need to talk about the apearence

Ah that's good cause I've found conflicting articles on Roman costume and I was confused as to whether they did wear masks etc.

Also do we have to know much on the historical background of Plautus? Such as where his plays were performed? I have a general idea that it was at festivals that were religious but not as much as Greek dramatic festivals were.
Reply 19
Original post by ToBeHeard
I am so not prepared for this one, I've gone straight from a history exam to an english exam and now I can barely think :frown: My teacher told us to focus more on characterisation in Plautine and themes in Aristophanic....

Plautine themes that's interesting. I always tend to focus more on Aristophanes so I've kind of ignored Plautus :s

Do they mean stock characters and how they're portrayed in Plautus' plays?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending