The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL A2 PE 11th June 2015 [Discussion Thread]

Can't find another thread for the exam on Thursday, feel free to discuss ideas and what you think will come up!

Scroll to see replies

20 markers predictions??
Reply 2
Original post by otapeiris1
20 markers predictions??

Possibly elite sports systems? Unsure really judging by my other exams this year the question could be really obscure!
think energy systems will make an appearance... possibly as a 20 marker, not to sure, could be a horrible paper
Reply 4
Original post by otapeiris1
think energy systems will make an appearance... possibly as a 20 marker, not to sure, could be a horrible paper

Hope not! But if it is at least I have the coursework to fall back on! Thank god for the 50/50 split!
Reply 5
When writing a 20 mark question are you's all told to discuss and argue each point?
Reply 6
Original post by abcd12348
When writing a 20 mark question are you's all told to discuss and argue each point?

If you can argue against I would especially if the question is a discuss.
It's looking like there will be a lot on history as it hasn't come up in a few years. If it does I'm in trouble 😲
Ocr pe predictions?
Reply 9
How did everyone do?
went well. 20 markkers gd. u?
Overall it was ok. I liked the first half of the paper, but struggled with the elite sports management stuff because I didn't really get around to revising that. What did you guys write for the 20 marker on performance profiling? Found question 9 good
@Niall_18 , Helps to identify strengths and weaknesses, build a relationship between coach & performer, provides baseline to monitor future performance, wagon wheel as an example, to identify role for performer, to compare against other performers. Counterarguments: waste of time, could be spent doing an actual training session and a couple others points.
Original post by ewanarmstrong
@Niall_18 , Helps to identify strengths and weaknesses, build a relationship between coach & performer, provides baseline to monitor future performance, wagon wheel as an example, to identify role for performer, to compare against other performers. Counterarguments: waste of time, could be spent doing an actual training session and a couple others points.

Very similar to what I wrote. For the question on fatigue, did you mention about how the bod begins to utilise fat for energy once it has run out of glycogen, leading to fatigue?
@Niall_18 oops no I didn't but that's a good point. I basically kept repeating myself, something along the lines of:

- depletion of glycogen means no respiratory substrate --> resp slows --> less energy
- depletion of CP stores means no resp substrate --> resp. slows --> less energy
- no energy to remove lactic acid --> accumulates --> fatigue
- mentioned central governor's theory.

I wasn't too sure with that qn.
@Niall_18 oops no I didn't but that's a good point. I basically kept repeating myself, something along the lines of:

- depletion of glycogen means no respiratory substrate --> resp slows --> less energy
- depletion of CP stores means no resp substrate --> resp. slows --> less energy
- no energy to remove lactic acid --> accumulates --> fatigue
- mentioned central governor's theory.

I wasn't too sure with that qn.

That's quite detailed. I also mentioned depletion of calcium ions leads to muscle inefficiency. What did you put for anaerobic adaptations?
Original post by Niall_18
That's quite detailed. I also mentioned depletion of calcium ions leads to muscle inefficiency. What did you put for anaerobic adaptations?

anaerobic adaptations: increased enzymes which buffer lactic acid, increase breakdown of lactic acid --> glycogen, inc breakdown lactic acid --> CO2 + H2O, increase phosphocreatine stores, increase myofibrillar hypertrophy, increased muscular hypertrophy. pretty much that
There's loads of adaptations for anaerobic. I mentioned: increased rate of fibre recruitment---greater force production, increased strength of connective tissue---reduce chance of injury, increased vo2 max---greater cardiovascular ability and delays onset of fatigue and muscular hypertrophy. What methods did you mention for q9?
Original post by Niall_18
There's loads of adaptations for anaerobic. I mentioned: increased rate of fibre recruitment---greater force production, increased strength of connective tissue---reduce chance of injury, increased vo2 max---greater cardiovascular ability and delays onset of fatigue and muscular hypertrophy. What methods did you mention for q9?

yeah all sounds like good stuff. err.. i went into quite a bit of detail with regards to kit selection, diet manipulation, hydration strategy. how about you?
yeah all sounds like good stuff. err.. i went into quite a bit of detail with regards to kit selection, diet manipulation, hydration strategy. how about you?

Divided it into physiological, psychological and technical;

Physiological;
Warm up
Stretching
Dietary manipulation-pre performance meals
Psychological:
Rituals such as the Haka
Coping strategies
Technical:
Ice vests if playing in hot environment
Computer software such as prozone to remind players of tactics
Discussion: