The Student Room Group

Which University is better for studying Graphic Design?

Just wondered what people's recommendations are for studying Graphic Design at University?? :biggrin:

I'm looking to study Graphic Communication at University, as I was told that this focuses more, on the digital aspects of design (that im already good at and interested in) like: web, apps, and motion graphics, than more traditional 'Graphic Design' - focusing on more illustration, packaging, and editorial design.

When looking through the prospectuses I saw that Norwich University of the Arts and Birmingham City University had a Graphic Communication course that particularly focused on these areas.

I applied to Birmingham City University for there BA Hons Visual Communication (Graphic Communication) course as I currently live and work in Birmingham, and managed to get an offer from them.

Whats people's views on Birmingham City for Graphic Design? is it a good university? would I be better moving away? Any recommendations on which unis are the best for more digital based Graphic design courses?

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by thetruekimbo
Just wondered what people's recommendations are for studying Graphic Design at University?? I'm looking to study Graphic Communication at University, as I was told that this focuses more, on the digital aspects of design (that im already good at and interested in) like: web, apps, and motion graphics, than more traditional 'Graphic Design' - focusing on more illustration, packaging, and editorial design.When looking through the prospectuses I saw that Norwich University of the Arts and Birmingham City University had a Graphic Communication course that particularly focused on these areas.I applied to Birmingham City University for there BA Hons Visual Communication (Graphic Communication) course as I currently live and work in Birmingham, and managed to get an offer from them.Whats people's views on Birmingham City for Graphic Design? is it a good university? would I be better moving away? Any recommendations on which unis are the best for more digital based Graphic design courses?Thanks

Hi there,
Something that would be really worthwhile for Graphic Design is to look for a work-based course. To get a career in the creative arts, you need all the creative and digital skills but you also need to know people and have a raft of professional skills like time management, client liaison etc. A work-based course will give you this really broad range of skills, plus work placements/internships often lead to employment after you graduate if you do well on the job :smile:

We offer a work-based Graphic Design degree at Weston College, and one of our graduates from last year is now working as a Designer in the digital department of Aardman Animations and just got a credit for the new Shaun the Sheep film! And that's all thanks to the work placement he did while he was studying. Although some of our graduates have gone into packaging and print, the majority do go down the digital route e.g. web and apps. We try to make sure the course moves with the changing industry and digital is where it's at at the moment hence why most of our graduates get jobs in that area!

Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

-Aislinn
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by UniCentreWeston
Hi there,
Something that would be really worthwhile for Graphic Design is to look for a work-based course. To get a career in the creative arts, you need all the creative and digital skills but you also need to know people and have a raft of professional skills like time management, client liaison etc. A work-based course will give you this really broad range of skills, plus work placements/internships often lead to employment after you graduate if you do well on the job :smile:

We offer a work-based Graphic Design degree at Weston College, and one of our graduates from last year is now working as a Designer in the digital department of Aardman Animations and just got a credit for the new Shaun the Sheep film! And that's all thanks to the work placement he did while he was studying. Although some of our graduates have gone into packaging and print, the majority do go down the digital route e.g. web and apps. We try to make sure the course moves with the changing industry and digital is where it's at at the moment hence why most of our graduates get jobs in that area!

Let me know if you have any questions :smile:

-Aislinn

Yes, the digital route does seem to be the way forward - this is the reason for me looking to do a degree within this field :smile:

I have been working through my gap year in a Marketing Agency to try and gain some experience before doing my degree in September - doing various roles including designing for live client briefs in print and digital formats etc.

Thanks
Yes, the digital route does seem to be the way forward - this is the reason for me looking to do a degree within this field :smile:

I have been working through my gap year in a Marketing Agency to try and gain some experience before doing my degree in September - doing various roles including designing for live client briefs in print and digital formats etc.

Thanks

That's really valuable experience and it's exactly what employers value, so keep an eye out for courses that use live briefs as part of the assessment, it's the best way to learn and get all the skills you need :smile:
Just wondered what people's recommendations are for studying Graphic Design at University?? :biggrin:

I'm looking to study Graphic Communication at University, as I was told that this focuses more, on the digital aspects of design (that im already good at and interested in) like: web, apps, and motion graphics, than more traditional 'Graphic Design' - focusing on more illustration, packaging, and editorial design.

When looking through the prospectuses I saw that Norwich University of the Arts and Birmingham City University had a Graphic Communication course that particularly focused on these areas.

I applied to Birmingham City University for there BA Hons Visual Communication (Graphic Communication) course as I currently live and work in Birmingham, and managed to get an offer from them.

Whats people's views on Birmingham City for Graphic Design? is it a good university? would I be better moving away? Any recommendations on which unis are the best for more digital based Graphic design courses?

Hey there!

I don't know if you've already chosen where to go but have you heard of Ravensbourne?
We are in London and next to the O2 arena. Check our BA Graphic design course! 3 years duration and the requirements you need is all in the website Visit us and go to our open day! Tickets
Good luck!
Ahlia :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest