The Student Room Group

Aqa unit 3 law 15th june 2015

Hello guys, I know that we now only have a week until the exam now. Was wondering how everyones revision was going and what they expect will come upp??? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by Olive_1996
Hello guys, I know that we now only have a week until the exam now. Was wondering how everyones revision was going and what they expect will come upp??? :smile:

I've moved this to law :smile:
Original post by Olive_1996

Law is by far my best subject, and I've got the application questions down to a fine art now, so I'm feeling really good about it :smile:

The two application questions I don't think you can predict with any degree of certainty, but the first tends to involve non-fatal offences and the second some form of homicide.

For the evaluation, I'm taking a risk and not evaluating the defences (as they came up last year); my bet is on murder and voluntary manslaughter coming up because they've not asked that for ages!

How are you feeling about it? :smile:
How do you guys cope with the time given in the exam? I've been practising with the past exam papers and I keep running out of time really badly, even though I have all necessary knowledge I can't keep up with the time especially that for each application question there is so much to write about the AR and MR of each offence and then we have to go through all the stages in defences :/ Any hints?
Original post by Michal544
How do you guys cope with the time given in the exam? I've been practising with the past exam papers and I keep running out of time really badly, even though I have all necessary knowledge I can't keep up with the time especially that for each application question there is so much to write about the AR and MR of each offence and then we have to go through all the stages in defences :/ Any hints?

Write the full word/term out once, then abbreviate it:

Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (OAPA 1861)
Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH)
Actus reus (AR)
Mens rea (MR)

You do not need to explain the facts of cases for problem solving. All you need is the principle which you get from the case, and to apply that principle to the scenario:

e.g. Instead of saying 'in Constanza the victim received several threatening letters and it was established words can constitute an assault', I would simply write 'Words can constitute an assault (Constanza).

You have to be very, very concise and cannot afford to waffle. Do not spend time discussing issues within the offences which are not a problem in the scenario. E.g. for murder, if there are no causation issues, it is sufficient to say 'causation is not in doubt' and not even mention any of the rules/cases.

Hope this helps :smile:
I'm absolutely brilliant at A Level Law.

Received almost full UMS at AS and on track to get an A* overall. Pretty much mastered all the cases, concepts and evaluation and already have all three Unit 4 concepts off head and nailed A*'s in all the mocks I have done!

If anyone needs a helping hand, give me a shout.
Original post by SuperSah

Received almost full UMS at AS and on track to get an A* overall. Pretty much mastered all the cases, concepts and evaluation and already have all three Unit 4 concepts off head and nailed A*'s in all the mocks I have done!

what do you think will be the evaluation question for unit 3! also do u think murder will come up this yr?

aaaaaaand for unit 4 which concepts do u think will come up

thnx
Original post by cruciverbalist
what do you think will be the evaluation question for unit 3! also do u think murder will come up this yr?

aaaaaaand for unit 4 which concepts do u think will come up

thnx

Murder & Voluntary Manslaughter seem to be the most likely as it has not been up since 2012 if I remember accurately. Second to that, possibly defences of choice.

For concepts, certainly Fault. Justice has a secondary chance of coming up, and I'd say not to expect Morals has it has been up often, but make sure you know it just incase AQA pulls a fast one.

I haven't done Balancing Conflicts or Judicial Creativity as we only learnt one.

Best of luck.
Murder & Voluntary Manslaughter seem to be the most likely as it has not been up since 2012 if I remember accurately. Second to that, possibly defences of choice.

For concepts, certainly Fault. Justice has a secondary chance of coming up, and I'd say not to expect Morals has it has been up often, but make sure you know it just incase AQA pulls a fast one.

I haven't done Balancing Conflicts or Judicial Creativity as we only learnt one.

Best of luck.

i doubt defences will come up for evaluation; they came up last year....but i agree, i do think voluntary manslaughter/murder will come up

also i just revised judicial creativity n im taking a risk by revising just that only...do u think im doing the right thing? ur an A* student thats why i ask for ur opinion loll
Original post by cruciverbalist
i doubt defences will come up for evaluation; they came up last year....but i agree, i do think voluntary manslaughter/murder will come up

also i just revised judicial creativity n im taking a risk by revising just that only...do u think im doing the right thing? ur an A* student thats why i ask for ur opinion loll

Defences is more of a random one, it has tendency to pop up randomly, but yes, Murder and Vol Man is most likely.

Remember, Morals has came up twice in a row, so no reason defences cannot!

Revising one is a bit of a dangerous tactic because it could easily be ditched for another year. I say try and do all three, or two if you really can't do three then you have some leeway as to what you can do. Luckily all you're essentially doing is memorising and re-writing so it shouldn't be too hard to get one more down!

For concepts of law, is it worth discussing a few things outside of the specification to show wider reading?
Defences is more of a random one, it has tendency to pop up randomly, but yes, Murder and Vol Man is most likely.

Remember, Morals has came up twice in a row, so no reason defences cannot!

Revising one is a bit of a dangerous tactic because it could easily be ditched for another year. I say try and do all three, or two if you really can't do three then you have some leeway as to what you can do. Luckily all you're essentially doing is memorising and re-writing so it shouldn't be too hard to get one more down!

true but i do hope the defences for the evaluation bit doesnt come up cuz im prepared to do non fatals and vol manslaughter/murder question haha
Thanks for your reply :smile:

I know about abbreviating certain terms but thanks for point out that I don't need to discuss case facts, just the principles :tongue: my law teacher kept telling us to explain everything but that was very time consuming. I'm still really nervous about the time because I'm really awful when it comes to timing in law, in all other subjects I'm just fine but in law I just can't keep up with time :/
Does anybody have any model essays or any tips for both the essay questions, unit 3 and 4? We literally had one lesson on each topic over May and haven't covered it much at all in class and I dont feel confident at all :frown: Any help?
Original post by Michal544
Thanks for your reply :smile:

I know about abbreviating certain terms but thanks for point out that I don't need to discuss case facts, just the principles :tongue: my law teacher kept telling us to explain everything but that was very time consuming. I'm still really nervous about the time because I'm really awful when it comes to timing in law, in all other subjects I'm just fine but in law I just can't keep up with time :/

If you read the mark schemes, it actually says 'It is usually sufficient to associate a relevant case with an explained/applied rule' - don't waste your time explaining cases if they don't get you marks! Just practise loads of the problem solving questions over the weekend using the tips I have given you, it really just is a matter of practise :smile:

The evaluation questions are always set in the same format so a good tip for unit 3 may be to write your essays now, learn them to memory, and do that question in the exam first really quickly to leave you more time for problem solving? That's the way I'm planning to do it
Original post by snikutsmullac
For concepts of law, is it worth discussing a few things outside of the specification to show wider reading?

Yes. They like it to be up to date, but you will not gain extra marks.

It just looks sleeker and stands out to all the bogged down usual copy and paste answers.
Yes. They like it to be up to date, but you will not gain extra marks.

It just looks sleeker and stands out to all the bogged down usual copy and paste answers.

Fair enough, my justice and fault essays have cases in literally from a couple of weeks ago lol
Original post by sophhhhhs
Does anybody have any model essays or any tips for both the essay questions, unit 3 and 4? We literally had one lesson on each topic over May and haven't covered it much at all in class and I dont feel confident at all :frown: Any help?

Which options are you doing for unit 3 and 4?
Original post by snikutsmullac
Fair enough, my justice and fault essays have cases in literally from a couple of weeks ago lol

My latest cases were in 2012 and all my essays are almost full marks and ready to be regurgitated haha.

Modern cases just look nicer but everyone will be equally marked whether content was ripped word for word from a textbook or masterfully written yourself!

Looking forward to these two papers, surely my best A Level for sure. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest