The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAnnabelle
Also, sorry to bug, is it 90 ums in each paper? Or 90 ums average against both papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

180 UMS in core 3 and 4 put together for an A*
Original post by shuff_joe
You have to consider it as 1/cos not sec on its own, I understand your confusion but the sec graph has an indeterminable minimum y value

So treat sec as 1/cos
25/21×(1/cosx) (or whatever the fraction was)

Cos needs to be it's maximum for 1/cos to be the minimum, so cos(x) = 1

25/21 × (1/1)

25/21

I apologise if I got the fraction wrong, on phone and forgot what it was :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK thank you, I'm just being stubborn really - I gave the positive answer in the mock as it was asking for speed
Original post by TheAnnabelle
Is "proof by counter example" part of the spec? Is there a reason it crops up in the Soloman papers? It really makes me panic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's been taken out the spec, Edexcel just haven't updated it (from what I hear)
anyone come across any particularly hard past paper questions that would be worth seeing??
Does anyone have the jan 2015 IAL paper ?
Any chance a June 2013 type of paper could come
Anyone know any hard papers that are worth doing?
Original post by lucief96
anyone come across any particularly hard past paper questions that would be worth seeing??

june 2013
Original post by lucief96

Try 2014 R paper, hardest one ive seen
Original post by Maham88

have you checked on the physicsandmathstutor website?
Original post by imedico10
You need to use the other equation because x is now bigger than for. Sub in x=5 into e^(2x-8) -4

Oh my bad. I was trying to do it altogether at once. I understand now :P. Do f(0) first to get 5 and then f(5) and since x>4 this time around, you use the f(x) equation for when x>4. Thanks ^_^
Original post by JayGreen
have you checked on the physicsandmathstutor website?

yeah i have they dont have it
Original post by Maham88

Yes, use this link! https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1ZiqBksUHNYak5FZDJHS1ZSTHM#list
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=254&v=Dl9DOikeb0k

Was there a reason he went the long way for the second solution?

couldnt he left it 2(theta) = 5pie / 6

Also as original values were between 0 - pie , since its 2 theta you double the range.

then using the cast rule, add a pie to that first solution , 5pie/ 6 , for the 3rd quadrant solution

so you have 2(theta) = 5pie / 6 and 11pie/6

to find theta divide both by 2 and they are your answers.
Original post by iKaneee
Try 2014 R paper, hardest one ive seen

Really? I just did it earlier and found it wayyyy easier than some other papers. Which questions do you think were hard?
Original post by anonwinner
dx/dy never gives the gradient

when using dx/dy if you sub in the y value and flip the answer that gives you the gradient
Original post by JayGreen
when using dx/dy if you sub in the y value and flip the answer that gives you the gradient

Whats the reason for flipping? i thought if you do dx/dy and sub in the Y value then this gives you the gradient ?
How do you work out max volumes and min volumes again (we learnt it in C2 but Ive forgotten and i can't find my notes anywhere!)
Reply 1499
Original post by SuperMushroom
Whats the reason for flipping? i thought if you do dx/dy and sub in the Y value then this gives you the gradient ?

You need to find dy/dx.

Latest

Trending

Trending