The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ridirahman
untitled.JPG

How would you draw that??
I need to draw it to find the domain

You cant really find the domain from a graph in this case, you'd need to know to use common sense that ln(x+2) x+2 cannot be zero as ln0 is undefined

IMG_1194.jpg
Original post by kdevitto
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6665_01_msc_20100218.pdf

Question 8 here, why does cot2x=0 become tan2x= infinity symbol?
Could someone explain how they solved this? Thanks!

simple! cot 2x is the same as cos2x/sin2x.

So eventually cos2x=0 AND YOU SOLVE!! :smile: YOU WILL GET 90,270

i'm guessing you got to cos(2x+(2pi/3)) = 1/2.

Since you're looking for solutions in the range 0<x<pi, if we call 2x+(2pi/3) theta, then the range of theta is 2pi/3 < theta < 8pi/3. At this point you may wish to use a CAST diagram and find all the values, and pick out the ones in the range before finding the x values.
Original post by BioAgent
For the Rcosalpha/Rsinalpha questions do you have to show all your working?

why risk it? show all working! :smile:
Original post by domcandrews
count me in too, started today and haven't looked at c3 since we finished it back in november, this is going to be fun loooool

Nah I'm messing up the studentroom's high scoring pattern
Reply 1545
Original post by kdevitto
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2013/Exam%20materials/6665_01_msc_20100218.pdf

Question 8 here, why does cot2x=0 become tan2x= infinity symbol?
Could someone explain how they solved this? Thanks!

cot = cos/sin

cos = 0

2x = cos-1(0)
Original post by Ripper Phoenix
Youll be relieved that proving by counter and stuff isnt on edexcel syllabus. Edexcel can not bring stuff outside the spec. It would result in a petition. But anyway good luck 👌🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thank you! I wouldn't have known, but it's not that bad actually but cheers for the heads up!
Anyone got the jan 2015 ial paper?
Original post by frozo123
Nah I'm messing up the studentroom's high scoring pattern

AHAHA yesss
Reply 1549

Anyone able to help with this? I've never understood this. :s-smilie:
How THE FUDGE is part a (i) the graph of f^-1(x) ?

i thought to draw the inverse function you reflect the f(x) in the y=x line.
Rather than imagining it through the head, is it possible to just times the co-ordinates by something to find the reflection in the y=x line Because i do not understand how they got that in part a (i)

Someone help!
Original post by Humbers
I feel like a butchered the answer but i got there in the end, if theres a quicker way that i missed, tell me :biggrin:
IMG_1193.jpg

thanks guys
Reply 1554
Original post by Mrkingpenguin

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1ZiqBksUHNYak5FZDJHS1ZSTHM#list

Think they combine c3/c4
Original post by SeanFM
i'm guessing you got to cos(2x+(2pi/3)) = 1/2.

Since you're looking for solutions in the range 0<x<pi, if we call 2x+(2pi/3) theta, then the range of theta is 2pi/3 < theta < 8pi/3. At this point you may wish to use a CAST diagram and find all the values, and pick out the ones in the range before finding the x values.

Nope i don't understand how they got to that first bit with cos(2x + 2pi/3)??? Am i missing something silly or...?
Original post by Mrkingpenguin

its a c34 paper not a c3 paper on its own
Reply 1557
Original post by studentwiz
someone help

20150611_181231.jpg
Original post by domcandrews
Nope i don't understand how they got to that first bit with cos(2x + 2pi/3)??? Am i missing something silly or...?

It's linked to part a. Sec(x+(pi/6)) is the same as 1/(cos(x+(pi/6)), so they've multiplied both sides by cos(x+(pi/6)) to get something of the form in part a.
How the FUDGE is part a (i) the graph of the inverse function? i thought the inverse function is a reflection in y=x line and i just can't see that with this graph in my head.
Is there a way in which you can just times the co-ordinates by something to find the reflection in the y=x line??? Someone please help!

Latest

Trending

Trending