The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Literature LITA3: Love Through the Ages, 11 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Not sure how to feel about that exam...
Pleased with the first question - I'd read both poems before. I used Sonnet 18 (the idea that youth doesn't fade), to contrast Herrick. Was also happy to see Mrs Dalloway on there - read that earlier this year. However... what on earth was the last extract? Really struggled to get my head around it in the time given. Spent far too much time working out what was going on. Ended up just having a stab in the dark and doing my best with the time I had left.
Fingers crossed that AQA realise the last extract was somewhat tricky for some of us.
I liked the first question and had so much further reading XD Didn't have time/didn't want to mess up the balance so couldn't include all the poems I knew

Question 2 was trickier....I'm more worried that I interpreted C wrong :frown: Can anyone confirm please? (I thought that it was memory first paragraph and the rest was present but everyone said that it was continued in memory so I'm worried that what I wrote is bs...)
Original post by pie-inator
I liked the first question and had so much further reading XD Didn't have time/didn't want to mess up the balance so couldn't include all the poems I knew

Question 2 was trickier....I'm more worried that I interpreted C wrong :frown: Can anyone confirm please? (I thought that it was memory first paragraph and the rest was present but everyone said that it was continued in memory so I'm worried that what I wrote is bs...)

I wrote that it was the present too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
I wrote that it was the present too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was really ambiguous, right? I have no idea how people were able to tell that it was a memory (which I think it was, looking up the summary...). Uuugh....well the examiner has to go with our interpretation if we have evidence, right?
It was really ambiguous, right? I have no idea how people were able to tell that it was a memory (which I think it was, looking up the summary...). Uuugh....well the examiner has to go with our interpretation if we have evidence, right?

It changed from past/ present although it was very ambiguous . I connected that to extract C as that also mixed the past/ present

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilialucy
It changed from past/ present although it was very ambiguous . I connected that to extract C as that also mixed the past/ present

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you talking about D if you connected it to C? I was referring to C originally, sorry just checking

It was ....!! 'Going to meet Sally' or something wasn't it = present tense! So i think the examiners will understand ( i hope so anyway i only wrote like a side for question 2, need all the marks i can get :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you talking about D if you connected it to C? I was referring to C originally, sorry just checking

Sorry I meant D instead of C

Posted from TSR Mobile
I messed up and didn't read question two so my essay isn't related to memory will I gain any marks for what I wrote ?
Overall I reckon that that was a good exam :h:. My friends and I agreed that the extracts were good this year (They were easier than quite a few previous ones imo) . I found items A and B good to compare and the extracts for Q2 were interesting

Did anyone write about Othello as Wider reading for question two? I know its not the most original link because they mention it in Item C but I found it useful for comparing the idea that Othello had a long way to fall in his view of Desdemona which left him vulnerable to being deceived , just as Krapp's vision of an idealized life with a fictional character left him vulnerable to being disappointed by other women.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by I_failed
I messed up and didn't read question two so my essay isn't related to memory will I gain any marks for what I wrote ?

I wouldn't worry - you should be credited for your analysis, communication, wider reading, comparison etc
That exam could of been so much worse!
Particularly happy with items A to C 😊
It said in the question they were both based on memories of love so I wrote that it was a memory but that it was a omniscient narrator, but I do remember thinking it changes to the present!!! I don't think I wrote that though... Hopefully
Original post by Zeldork
Overall I reckon that that was a good exam :h:. My friends and I agreed that the extracts were good this year (They were easier than quite a few previous ones imo) . I found items A and B good to compare and the extracts for Q2 were interesting

Did anyone write about Othello as Wider reading for question two? I know its not the most original link because they mention it in Item C but I found it useful for comparing the idea that Othello had a long way to fall in his view of Desdemona which left him vulnerable to being deceived , just as Krapp's vision of an idealized life with a fictional character left him vulnerable to being disappointed by other women.

I made a really quick reference to Othello! Yeah, it was rather obvious since they mentioned it..
I assumed it's only further proof that we read the extract carefully :smile:
I mentioned the inter textual link but I've never read it and from the top of my head I said othello is about jealousy.. Is this right?!
Original post by Hollywooddreamer
It was ....!! 'Going to meet Sally' or something wasn't it = present tense! So i think the examiners will understand ( i hope so anyway i only wrote like a side for question 2, need all the marks i can get :/)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, it was talking about being excited to meet her so I also thought that they were being re-united or something :L I wrote 4 sides for both the questions. It really depends on the examiner and their mood during the day though -_- Which is rather annoying...

Original post by Zeldork

Exam not too bad but could have been better...question 2 was tricky for a lot of people I talked to
I talked a little about Othello how the quote marked the fulcrum point in her relationship just like it was for Othello, foreshadowing only the failure of the relationship
What did you write about context in both questions?
Original post by Zeldork
What did you write about context in both questions?

they never specified publish date for item A but i talked about the renaissance period and when i compared it to Marvell's metaphysical poem i talked about the similar era and the movement of beliefs of love moving away from the traditional religious beliefs combines with Elizabethan view on predetermined fate etc

item B talked about early modernist with victorian influences

Mrs Dalloway - early modernist - the love would have been forbidden as homosexuality wasnt legalised until the 80's I WROTE 80'S WHEN REALLY IT WAS LATE 60'S AHHHHHH
and i contrasted Krapp's last tape as it is the modernist era too but 33 years later
Original post by Holprice
they never specified publish date for item A but i talked about the renaissance period and when i compared it to Marvell's metaphysical poem i talked about the similar era and the movement of beliefs of love moving away from the traditional religious beliefs combines with Elizabethan view on predetermined fate etc

item B talked about early modernist with victorian influences

Mrs Dalloway - early modernist - the love would have been forbidden as homosexuality wasnt legalised until the 80's I WROTE 80'S WHEN REALLY IT WAS LATE 60'S AHHHHHH
and i contrasted Krapp's last tape as it is the modernist era too but 33 years later

Ooh that sounds good :cute:. I generally don't really have much to say for context but I wrote in Q1 that perhaps the context of both poem's publications could reflect their differing attitudes to love - I linked item A's ideas of being adventurous and making the most of the present to the ideas of new discoveries and adventure in metaphysical poetry and said that the gloom of the Great Depressionin and the impending world war could be reflected in the pessimistic tone in item B.

For Q2 i only brought in context in the conclusion. I think I said something about how the optimistic tone in item A is redolent of post war roaring 20's etc but then i ran out of time so i just put 'and item B is not'. Lol :bl::banana2:
Original post by Zeldork
Ooh that sounds good :cute:. I generally don't really have much to say for context but I wrote in Q1 that perhaps the context of both poem's publications could reflect their differing attitudes to love - I linked item A's ideas of being adventurous and making the most of the present to the ideas of new discoveries and adventure in metaphysical poetry and said that the gloom of the Great Depressionin and the impending world war could be reflected in the pessimistic tone in item B.

For Q2 i only brought in context in the conclusion. I think I said something about how the optimistic tone in item A is redolent of post war roaring 20's etc but then i ran out of time so i just put 'and item B is not'. Lol :bl::banana2:

context for item B sounds really good! im so worried about my response to question 2. this is how i did it:
intro with explanation and what wider reading i'll use with reasons
first para on the given extracts
second on item C and wider reading
third on item D and wider reading

That is all is not my usual structure and no conclusion!!:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending