The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OliviaLin
Exactly. Literally.. Exams are meant to be about testing your knowledge of using the theoretical content you've learnt and using it practically in realistic hypothetical situations. However, every year the theme seems to be to learn the points and key terms stated on every markscheme and make sure you remember it all for the typical questions that come up. So that's how they've indoctrinated us to process a question.

This time, they've actually gone and changed their style which has completely thrown everyone because we are so used to doing exams for the statistical purpose of making it into the top however many percent for the top UMS.

I'm fuming about OCR but it's out of our hands now.. We've just got to hope for the best & if it doesn't go our way - regardless of how hard we've studied - then let's just be grateful for the new Clearing process UCAS have made for this year.

This wasn't that different from a usual paper at all. Only thing I'd say was different and quite hard was the first 6 marks
to Failures, If you failed, watch this video, if you passed don't watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFoo5Vh8i0c :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I read into the wrong questions

Should have read into the ****ing SHM, and I would have seen 8Hz was a natural frequency, and I would have done the resonance ****ing graph lmao I'm so annoyed :frown:

Yeah I'm quite annoyed I didn't realise that haha. I got an A in this last year and thought I might as well resit it to get to an A* but I forgot about it and had to learn the full module this morning, so I didn't have time to look into anything in any sort of detail 😂
Original post by JackNorman
This wasn't that different from a usual paper at all. Only thing I'd say was different and quite hard was the first 6 marks

I did this paper last year and just scraped an A and the one last year seemed so much easier than this one.. Even with the Star Trek quoted question about geostationary orbits lol.. I was just really hoping for an A* to get me into the uni I didn't get into last year but I guess I'll just have to depend on G485 now..

Do you or anyone else know what percentage each unit counts towards the final grade?
I did this paper last year and just scraped an A and the one last year seemed so much easier than this one.. Even with the Star Trek quoted question about geostationary orbits lol.. I was just really hoping for an A* to get me into the uni I didn't get into last year but I guess I'll just have to depend on G485 now..

Do you or anyone else know what percentage each unit counts towards the final grade?

G484: 30%
G485: 50%
G486: 20%

Of A2,half that for whole A Level

30 50 20
4,5,6 respectively

Yeah I was redoing this to try and get an A*. My practical was my weakest grade at a B. Seehow managed 94% in G485 and I scraped an A at 72 ums in this because I didn't finish in time. Teacher forgot to put me in for practicals this year so my only way to get up to an A* was to get 89 Ums in this paper 😂 so I need 100% and I doubt I go it. Only remembered I had the exam the other day and I've been so busy with others I only got chance to look at it this morning and a little bit last night. I thought the paper today was better than last years, except question 1. But yeah I thought the paper last year was alright but the last 8 or 9 marks were hard. I think the grade boundaries for this will be similar, because although it was easier in general, there were less memory reliant questions, and a lot of people are used to them coming up a lot. That said I hope they are lower cos I need 100ums to be around 50 or lower to get what I need 😩
Just want to make sure, but which law/equation did they ask us to define in words again? Can't remember which question it was

I'm fuming about OCR but it's out of our hands now.. We've just got to hope for the best & if it doesn't go our way - regardless of how hard we've studied - then let's just be grateful for the new Clearing process UCAS have made for this year.

New Clearing process? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kateyl
Just want to make sure, but which law/equation did they ask us to define in words again? Can't remember which question it was

Newton's Law of Gravitation
Original post by Exaltation
New Clearing process? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check your emails..

Basically universities contact you if you have the grades for their clearing places if you don't get the uni you applied for instead of you having to call a busy AF line for 3 days straight to find the place was already taken :smile:
Newton's Law of Gravitation

oh my ****ing god omg i made the stupidest mistake how did i not read the question properly omG I DEFINED KEPLERS THIRD LAW WTH i hate my life
Original post by verello12
Well yeah mass is constant for F=ma but lets say you got 2 F=ma equations. Since it says the ions are ejected at a constant rate you can assume F is the same in both equations, because ions are ejected the mass of the spaceship decreases, hence acceleration increases. That's how I went about it, but I kind of see what you are saying. Not sure

The mass was constant, the question specified that xenon ions were created, then projected. Something about solar energy being turned into mass, which is then accelerated outwards. Therefore, the mass of the spacecraft is constant.

I reasoned that as the spacecraft accelerated the relative velocity at which the ions were projected decreased, so the change in momentum decreased, so the force decreased, so F=ma the acceleration decreased.
Check your emails..

Basically universities contact you if you have the grades for their clearing places if you don't get the uni you applied for instead of you having to call a busy AF line for 3 days straight to find the place was already taken :smile:

Wow thank you haha I didn't know about that. That's a lot easier. Will have a look through my emails now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackNorman
Yeah I was redoing this to try and get an A*. My practical was my weakest grade at a B. Seehow managed 94% in G485 and I scraped an A at 72 ums in this because I didn't finish in time. Teacher forgot to put me in for practicals this year so my only way to get up to an A* was to get 89 Ums in this paper 😂 so I need 100% and I doubt I go it. Only remembered I had the exam the other day and I've been so busy with others I only got chance to look at it this morning and a little bit last night. I thought the paper today was better than last years, except question 1. But yeah I thought the paper last year was alright but the last 8 or 9 marks were hard. I think the grade boundaries for this will be similar, because although it was easier in general, there were less memory reliant questions, and a lot of people are used to them coming up a lot. That said I hope they are lower cos I need 100ums to be around 50 or lower to get what I need 😩

Ah damn that's so annoying.. Practicals are the easy backup marks! How could they forget? Yeah I agree.. Either way I doubt either of us have improved on our grade for this unit so we may as well forget it since there's no point in retaking it again only to have the same thing happen! :')

Let's just hope g485 is a lot kinder.
Wow thank you haha I didn't know about that. That's a lot easier. Will have a look through my emails now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah no problem! Make sure you sign up to it or you'll have to go about it the other grilling prolonged way..

Love how we're already depending on clearing btw looool
Haha yeah no problem! Make sure you sign up to it or you'll have to go about it the other grilling prolonged way..

Love how we're already depending on clearing btw looool

Loool that's so true. This exam was horrible for me and with those grade boundaries I will need an A in G485 to get into my insurance choice university.

Will definitely sign up for it after my last exam. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah damn that's so annoying.. Practicals are the easy backup marks! How could they forget? Yeah I agree.. Either way I doubt either of us have improved on our grade for this unit so we may as well forget it since there's no point in retaking it again only to have the same thing happen! :':wink:

Let's just hope g485 is a lot kinder.

Luckily I don't have to resit g485. I really enjoyed the unit but Jesus there was so much content, no chance I'd be able to redo that along with my other exams
Loool that's so true. This exam was horrible for me and with those grade boundaries I will need an A in G485 to get into my insurance choice university.

Will definitely sign up for it after my last exam. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell me about it...

Need an A to go UCL got an A last year and an A* in coursework this year but this was a bit dodgy I think I lost around 15ish. Just flicking past the first couple of the questions at the start was pretty demoralizing.

Rest was okay, few silly mistakes. Had Econ this afternoon who knows how that went and C3 tomorrow..
Original post by ibanezmatt13
I said that if you extrapolate the graph back to where v=0, the intersection with the temp axis is the point of absolute zero, the point at which the gas would occupy zero volume and would have min energy.

I'm not sure how many marks this would get, I never said V prop to T...

But it's not proportional, to be proportional it must be a straight line yes but it must also go through the origin. I used exactly the same answer.
Overall, mega floppy floppy flop

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending