The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Biology BIOL5 - 17th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, im not sure if these were posted before, but in case they weren't here are some really useful Biol Unit 5 notes :

https://7def787516e26c878dc93b38d6ceba5f41124eea.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYaUI1b2xvb0QwSDQ/Key%20Points%20-%20Unit%205%20AQA%20Biology%20A-Level.pdf

hope they help :smile:
Original post by rashed_k
how long do you think the essay should be?

Mine are about 600-700 words, which is about 2 A4 lined pages; which equates to about 4 pages in the exam paper. It does depend on how large your writing is though.
Reply 482
Has anyone got the link to pre written essays for all the essays that have previously comee up as I don't think I'll have enough revision time to do the essays but I would like a but of a plan
Original post by Hudl
Has anyone got the link to pre written essays for all the essays that have previously comee up as I don't think I'll have enough revision time to do the essays but I would like a but of a plan

I have four essays which have been marked at A/A* grade if they are any use? :smile:
The essays are:
Causes of Disease in Humans
Uses of DNA Technology
Importance of Shapes Fitting Together
CO2 may affect organisms directly and indirectly
Reply 484
Original post by prophetkid
I have four essays which have been marked at A/A* grade if they are any use? :smile:
The essays are:
Causes of Disease in Humans
Uses of DNA Technology
Importance of Shapes Fitting Together
CO2 may affect organisms directly and indirectly

Yes please upload them on here thanks or send them via pm

but surely someone would have done all the essays to an A* level and posted them online, surely
If I post my essay in about half hour would anyone be willing to mark it? I'm not aiming for full marks so don't expect much, I'd just like an idea of how I'm doing ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hudl
Yes please upload them on here thanks or send them via pm

but surely someone would have done all the essays to an A* level and posted them online, surely

Here you go :smile:
I'd really appreciate it if someone could glance through my essay and let me know how I'm doing. As said before I'm not aiming for full marks so don't expect a spectacular essay. Ps sorry if you can't read it my writing gets very messy when I rush
Attachment not found

Attachment not found
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434024017.706572.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1434024040.420327.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434024062.118727.jpg
Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sleepisheaven
3-5 sides I hear

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Original post by prophetkid
Mine are about 600-700 words, which is about 2 A4 lined pages; which equates to about 4 pages in the exam paper. It does depend on how large your writing is though.

Cheers
Do essays have to include diagrams and info/examples that aren't on the spec?
If the essay was on proteins and the role of proteins, what would everyone suggest should be included ? :smile:
Reply 492
Original post by lyricallies
If the essay was on proteins and the role of proteins, what would everyone suggest should be included ? :smile:

Enzymes involved in the digestive system (Lactase, Maltase etc.)
Protein structure
Haemoglobin - involved in associating and dissociating oxygen, could add oxygen dissociation curves too (High affinity, Low affinity)
Receptor proteins and relay proteins involved in cell division (proto-oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes)
Polypeptide synthesis
Could maybe talk about photosynthesis&nitrogen cycle they involve enzymes too.
Muscle contraction - Tropomyosin & Troponin
Original post by lyricallies

1 - primary/secondary/tertiary structure of a protein
2 - Structural roles
3 - Movement involving muscles
4 - Channel/ carrier proteins (transport)
5 - Enzymes
6 - Chemical Hormones/Mediators

Describe each one about with 100-125 words including two examples in each so for Structural you could use the examples of keratin and collagen. Talk about their structure then why it is important. Repeat and watch the marks pile up
Thankyou that's really useful :smile:
Original post by Ozy96
Enzymes involved in the digestive system (Lactase, Maltase etc.)
Protein structure
Haemoglobin - involved in associating and dissociating oxygen, could add oxygen dissociation curves too (High affinity, Low affinity)
Receptor proteins and relay proteins involved in cell division (proto-oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes)
Polypeptide synthesis
Could maybe talk about photosynthesis&nitrogen cycle they involve enzymes too.
Muscle contraction - Tropomyosin & Troponin

Don't talk about polypeptide synthesis as you will probably lose marks because it's irrelevant to the title
Reply 496
Original post by Vengefulcandy
Don't talk about polypeptide synthesis as you will probably lose marks because it's irrelevant to the title

Yeah you're right, my bad. we could also talk about how translation is prevented by siRNA how it guides the enzyme and whatnot.
Also, what do you think of the likelihood this will come up? It hasn't been asked yet I don't think...It would be god sent if it does come up. Although AQA aren't that generous.
Can there be an essay on transport systems or is that too vague?
(edited 8 years ago)
I was thinking there could be one on ATP
Don't suppose anyone has 5mins to go through my essay above 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending