The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone got any good methods for learning the sec cosex cot graphs? I know I could work it out on my calculator but don't want time to pass!
What proofs do we need to know?
Reply 1742
Original post by frozo123
Anyone got any good methods for learning the sec cosex cot graphs? I know I could work it out on my calculator but don't want time to pass!

What's the problem with them? They are just reflected like so: http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt668/EMAT6680.2000/Umberger/EMAT6690smu/Day6/Resources/cosecant.gif
Original post by H1143999
which revision guide?

Can't remember the name and I don't have it with me, it's the big black one with c3 and c4 inside it

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're just the 1/cos, 1/sin and 1/tan graphs? Unless I've misunderstood your question.
What are the other identities like (sin50 = cos40), (cos50=sin40)? are there anymore that we need to know?

for sec and cosec - sketch cos and sin and remember that sec and cosec 'sit on top of the graphs'. Also, refer your asymptotes - you cant divide by 0!! For cot - the arms of the graph cross over. Just keep looking at sketches and copy them out 5 or 6 times
Original post by rory58824
What proofs do we need to know?

1 + cot^2(x) = cosec^2(x)
1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x)
Have they ever asked us to transform
secant
cosec
cot
graphs ???

Im terrible at them, and both of them combined would be killer
I'm stressing out more than I should. I get most things except finding the range and max/min values. I understand with simple questions, but I always get confused and I can't find max/min in the book! I get that you have to find the smallest value for the min. and if its say 4/12cos(x+a) you need to make denominator small as possible for positive min. value, but will they ever ask us to find the smallest possible negative min. value? am I just over-complicating things?

I had a really terrible Chem exam yesterday, so now I feel like all my others will be the same even though edexcel have been fairly nice so far.

Also there was a Q in june 2014 paper asking to find the range of (x+1)/(x-2), how am I supposed to know that's a transformed 1/x graph! I could see some familiarity but not enough to realise the graph etc. Looks like i'm so unprepared haha! Any help would be appreciated. Is there a Jan 2015 IAL paper at all?!

You don't really need to know the graphs...
My brain is still in economics mode at the moment
Could someone explain June 2013 withdrawn c and d, I'm confused by the format of H since the sign is the opposite
Original post by Leking9

omgggggg same like I can't concentrate on c3 atm guess I'll be doing an allnighter today:frown:
Original post by H1143999
is the answer any real number except 2?
What paper is this

Yes it is! Sorry, I was just ignoring part b, the denominator can't be 0 Thank you anyways.
Original post by MrBowcat
You don't really need to know the graphs...

yes you do they can ask you to draw them
and nobody wants to spend five minutes entering individual values on their calculator
All of a sudden day before the exam , i feel really unprepared?

Might be that I had a chem exam from hell yday that made the news

But yh I dont know might be nerves and , tomorrow morning ill perform but i dont like this feeling :frown:
Original post by Leking9

Yeah it's so hard to switch from one mode to another
Reply 1758
Original post by TeddyKC
Could someone help with this beast of a question?
(Part b)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434050875.568486.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll have a go and get back to you
Original post by paradoxicalme
yes you do they can ask you to draw them
and nobody wants to spend five minutes entering individual values on their calculator

Them asking to draw inverse trig graphs is very very very very very very very very very very very very unlikely.

Latest