The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jf1994
Do we need to know cos(-x) = cos(x) and sin(-x) = -sin(x)?

say whaaatttt
Original post by frankthebunny
Guys what are the tips tricks and **** like that for tomorrow im ****tng myself

Don't **** up
Reply 1942
Original post by suyoof123
Thanks!

didnt know that but we still have to learn those weird graphs.

It is probably best to learn the graphs but if you really get stuck I would leave it until you've done the rest of the paper and then go back and plot the graph using your calculator so you don't waste time. Good luck tomorrow! :smile:
Original post by lightningdoritos
Just had another go at it, not sure what you would do after putting the discriminant to <0 because surely you would have to square root a negative value?

No you put the discriminant = 0.
Original post by mb_12
It is probably best to learn the graphs but if you really get stuck I would leave it until you've done the rest of the paper and then go back and plot the graph using your calculator so you don't waste time. Good luck tomorrow! :smile:

Thanks bro, Good luck to you too :smile:.

But thanks to your hint before, all you have to do is draw sin,cos,tan graphs and reflect on y=x

:colone:

I'll still memorise them, in the heat of the moment, i might forget how to mirror graphs...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ojj_12
Can anyone help with transformations and things with ln graphs and the asymptotes things. I cannot draw anything! I never got more than a 2b in art :colondollar:

For transformations I used this site http://astarmathsandphysics.com/a-level-maths-notes/C3/a-level-maths-notes-c3-transformations-of-graphs.html

Essentially, if there is something inside the bracket i.e f(x+2) it does what you wouldn't expect it to do, to the x value - therefore x decreases by 2. Same with f(2x), it would half the x value. Outside the bracket does the opposite, inverse function reflects it in y=x
Reply 1946
Could someone help me with question 4b? Never seen this question come up before.image.jpg
Just wanted to say, hope everyone is heading off to sleep soon. Sleep is key before an exam.
I want to wish everyone the best of luck and hope you all do to the best of your ability tomorrow. Just not too good, I don't want mega high grade boundaries :wink:

GOOD LUCK! :smile:
if a paper like june 13 come up tomorrow, i would jump out the window
Original post by Tiwa
Could someone help me with question 4b? Never seen this question come up before.image.jpg

What paper is that? I've never even heard of proof by contradiction
Original post by LukeTownsend123
Just wanted to say, hope everyone is heading off to sleep soon. Sleep is key before an exam.
I want to wish everyone the best of luck and hope you all do to the best of your ability tomorrow. Just not too good, I don't want mega high grade boundaries :wink:

GOOD LUCK! :smile:

nice hairline
Original post by Gome44
I haven't done this question but I'm fairly certain you don't have to use the discriminant. Could be wrong though :smile:

Well I started finding the gradient of f(x) but then didn't know what to do after that....haha
Original post by Tiwa

Assume it is rational, ie log2(3)=p/q q=/= 0

Get to a stage where 2^q = 3^p (or other way wrong, I can't remember), clearly not true as q=/=0

Therefore contradiction
Any particularly tough papers anyone can recommend? (I've done all the Gold Edexcel papers, Solomon papers, Zig Zag papers, and S&T and U-V IYGB papers on madasmaths)
Original post by Tiwa

photo_2015-06-11_22-12-47.jpg
you don't need to know it, don't stress :smile:
Original post by Tiwa

I'd say 2^x=3 then attempt to solve for x, the question tells you something won't work when solving, but I don't know the specifics without doing it myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tiwa

Ooo, looks like a quadratic
Original post by lightningdoritos
Well I started finding the gradient of f(x) but then didn't know what to do after that....haha

As a is +ve, the tangent will be in the reflected part, so you need to find the gradient of -f(x). At a point, say z, the gradient of the tangent is the same as the gradient if the line. Sub in, rearrange, sub in some more and hopefully you get the answer :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending