The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
Addition formulae, P124 of the textbook.

I've used the addition formulae. I get 2sinxcosx + 2sinycosy. How do they get from this to:
2sin(x+y)cos(x-y)
Original post by Oxyfrost
Hello, can anyone help me? I'm stuck on C3 Solomon paper C Question four. Attached is the question and mark scheme. It's a trig proof question. What I can't figure out, is for example, the numerator is sin2x + sin2y. The first step of the mark scheme sets the numerator as
2sin(x + y)cos(x-y)
How did they get to this? It's driving me insane! Really thrown my confidence, day before exam :/

Screenshot_2.png
use these
Original post by Raj_B961
quick question, how do we find the maximum or minimum value in trig questions?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The maximum of sinx or cosx is 1. So if you've got a harmonic form question, the maximum is R*1.
Need help on part b.
Thanks ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434057895.915545.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JizzaStanger
set the two functions equal to each other to get an equation for their points of intersection. It should be a quadratic in x. Since they curves are tangential, you know this equation only has one solution. This means the discriminant of the equation is zero. You'll then get an equation you can solve for k.

Fantastic!! Thank you :smile: good luck tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've used the addition formulae. I get 2sinxcosx + 2sinycosy. How do they get from this to:
2sin(x+y)cos(x-y)

I've used the wrong name, I'm terribly sorry. :frown:

It's the factor formulae. SinP + SinQ = 2sin((P+Q/2)cos((P-Q)/2), so putting in P=2x and Q=2y gives the result.

It *is* in the formula booklet, so don't worry.
Original post by frozo123
It's really nice of you spending your evenings during exam week to help people out :smile:

You're too kind :colondollar: Good luck with your exam, you and everyone else :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeddyKC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please please tell me what paper that is I'm going mad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1987
Original post by JayGreen
I have done most of the c3 papers and to my knowledge factor formulae has never come up (I might be wrong though so dont hold me to that)

Only ones I havent done are June 12 and Jan 13 & ive never seen it so I think were good
Original post by AbubakarB
Screenshot_2.png
use these

thanks. We've never used these ones in class examples. Foolish me didn't even consider them.
The maximum of sinx or cosx is 1. So if you've got a harmonic form question, the maximum is R*1.

how about when theres fractions
When was the last time they asked for factor formula proof?
I have an inkling

Posted from TSR Mobile
My apologies, I was trying to tell you how to do it without having done it myself! If you do it as I suggest you will indeed have to take the square root of a negative number!

First do a sketch to determine roughly where the graphs touch. Because the one of the functions is |f(x)|, you use the sketch to determine whether you're in the section where |f(x)| = -f(x) or the section where |f(x)| = f(x).

Now you've determined that with a sketch (from the fact that you would otherwise have to take the square root of a negative number, it's in the region where |f(x)| = -f(x) ). You should now set -f(x)=g(x), and follow the method again. It will get you k = +/- 2a.

You can determine whether k = 2a or -2a by using your sketch again. The question tells you that g(x) cuts |f(x)| at another point, Q. You'll find that one value of k makes it impossible for the curves to cross at Q and that one makes it possible. The one the makes it possible is, of course, 2a.

I hope this clears it up!

Great, finally got the answer!
Original post by TeddyKC

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually sat it last year; I'm doing a bit of good will, but thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by Bustamove
wait whaaa?
what formula is that? When is it used?
thanks

I think I learnt it in FP1 or FP2, can't remember
If you're doing a transformation of a function with several parts, when do you apply the modulus ? At the end or at the start?

Posted from TSR Mobile
so proof by contradiction is in the specification but theres never been any questions on it? what could they ask us to prove?
Original post by frozo123
how did you find the chem yesterday?

it was kind of hard :frown: , how did you find it ?
Original post by Maham88
it was kind of hard :frown: , how did you find it ?

I liked A and C, made loads of mistakes on B hopefully 78/80though
cba for Unit 5gonna get like a C on it lol
I actually sat it last year; I'm doing a bit of good will, but thanks anyway :smile:

Hey can you explain the last part I'm really really confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending