The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lau14
12th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 22nd :/ so after S2 tomorrow morning I'll be focusing on unit 5 chem and FP2 until Monday/Tuesday pretty much, with some reading for PHYA5 hopefully to spread the load out. Wednesday will be entirely PHYA5 focused because I haven't done much for a while, and then I have three days (and only three remaining papers) to prepare for M2!

You have STEP II on the 17th don't you?
Reply 281
Original post by morgan8002
You have STEP II on the 17th don't you?

No? I have a physics offer for Oxford, no STEP for me fortunately!
Reply 282
Original post by Lau14
12th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 22nd :/ so after S2 tomorrow morning I'll be focusing on unit 5 chem and FP2 until Monday/Tuesday pretty much, with some reading for PHYA5 hopefully to spread the load out. Wednesday will be entirely PHYA5 focused because I haven't done much for a while, and then I have three days (and only three remaining papers) to prepare for M2!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lau14
No? I have a physics offer for Oxford, no STEP for me fortunately!

For some reason I thought you were taking it. Good luck in your A-levels anyway.
Reply 284
Original post by morgan8002
For some reason I thought you were taking it. Good luck in your A-levels anyway.

Having watched one of my friends worrying about it I'm quite glad I don't! Good luck to you too :smile:
Reply 285
Might sound really basic but could someone draw out what Q4 (d) is doing in the mark scheme for January 2011?

It takes moments about PR but I wasn't sure how it gets the distances it uses. I've done the question correctly all bar that sub question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 286
Can someone enlighten me as to where the mark scheme has got this weird 14t4\frac{1}{4} t^4 term from?

June 2011 question 3(d);

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434275945.903484.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Can someone enlighten me as to where the mark scheme has got this weird 14t4\frac{1}{4} t^4 term from?

June 2011 question 3(d);

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434275945.903484.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume it's a mistake on the markscheme you've got the online one says the correct answer http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MM2B-W-MS-JUN11.PDF
Reply 288
Original post by Shadez
I assume it's a mistake on the markscheme you've got the online one says the correct answer http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MM2B-W-MS-JUN11.PDF

What the 😂

Thank you! I don't understand what version mine is then!

Do you understand Q4(d) January 2011?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
What the 😂

Thank you! I don't understand what version mine is then!

Do you understand Q4(d) January 2011?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having a go at it now but don't expect an answer I'm rubbish at centre of mass questions :tongue:
@CD223

taking moments about line PR with clockwise motion being positive. So the distance of B from line PR is 30 cm and the mass is m and you also take into consideration the triangle the centre of its mass from the line PR is 20 (30-10) and multply it by its mass 4. so you end up with 30m-20*4=0 and so m=8/3
Reply 291
Original post by Shadez
@CD223

taking moments about line PR with clockwise motion being positive. So the distance of B from line PR is 30 cm and the mass is m and you also take into consideration the triangle the centre of its mass from the line PR is 20 (30-10) and multply it by its mass 4. so you end up with 30m-20*4=0 and so m=8/3

Did you discard the rectangle because it's centre of mass lies along PR?

I can understand your way now, but I was attempting to do it using the effective centre of mass of the whole lamina - of mass 9kg.

Do you just take the horizontal distance from PR to the centre of mass of the lamina? 80/9?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Did you discard the rectangle because it's centre of mass lies along PR?

I can understand your way now, but I was attempting to do it using the effective centre of mass of the whole lamina - of mass 9kg.

Do you just take the horizontal distance from PR to the centre of mass of the lamina? 80/9?

Yes I did since you're taking moments about the line PR the mass that lies there doesn't affect it.

Yes and then don't forget to multiply it by 9
Reply 293
Original post by Shadez
Yes I did since you're taking moments about the line PR the mass that lies there doesn't affect it.

Yes and then don't forget to multiply it by 9

Cool - thanks!

How are you finding M2? What grade are you aiming for overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Cool - thanks!

How are you finding M2? What grade are you aiming for overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's going well but I still get caught out by the tricky questions. I'm only doing AS FM so I'm going for the A grade.
Reply 295
Original post by Shadez
It's going well but I still get caught out by the tricky questions. I'm only doing AS FM so I'm going for the A grade.

Yeah it's easy to lose so many marks on the last couple of questions.

Nice! I'm A2 so hoping for an A* in A2 maths overall but Core 4 was tough this year so I don't think I will have done enough 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah it's easy to lose so many marks on the last couple of questions.

Nice! I'm A2 so hoping for an A* in A2 maths overall but Core 4 was tough this year so I don't think I will have done enough 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck in getting your A* may the grade boundaries be ever in your favor
Ah I've already done A2 I'm just picking up further maths as an extra qualification in my gap year. Core 4 was tough when I did it too, it seems most exams have increased in difficulty compared to the previous years
Reply 297
Original post by Shadez
Good luck in getting your A* may the grade boundaries be ever in your favor
Ah I've already done A2 I'm just picking up further maths as an extra qualification in my gap year. Core 4 was tough when I did it too, it seems most exams have increased in difficulty compared to the previous years

Thanks! Oh I see! Are you off to uni this September?

Thanks! Core 3 went really well but not everyone thought so, so I'm hoping for as close to 100 in that as possible to make up for a lower Core 4 score!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Thanks! Oh I see! Are you off to uni this September?

Thanks! Core 3 went really well but not everyone thought so, so I'm hoping for as close to 100 in that as possible to make up for a lower Core 4 score!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully if I improve my grade from the resit in F324 (chem4) then I will be! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 299
Original post by Shadez
Hopefully if I improve my grade from the resit in F324 (chem4) then I will be! :biggrin:

I heard that was a tough paper!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending