The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544

Hey guys, does anyone have any tips for section A from OCR psychology G544?
I feel so stressed about it and I'm not sure of how to structure it... :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SophieGromald

specifically for the practical project I tend to write who what when where why and how down the side of the page, then cross them out as I do them, best way to make sure you dont forget anything

Other than that just making sure you're extremely explicit, for example if they say like used a matched pairs, say how youre going to do it and then state "this is matched pairs design" cause otherwise you wont get the replicability marks even though you have used the correct design
Original post by Paige_ATL
specifically for the practical project I tend to write who what when where why and how down the side of the page, then cross them out as I do them, best way to make sure you dont forget anything

Other than that just making sure you're extremely explicit, for example if they say like used a matched pairs, say how youre going to do it and then state "this is matched pairs design" cause otherwise you wont get the replicability marks even though you have used the correct design

Thank you!!
Original post by SophieGromald

You have to revise all the methods and know their strengths and weaknesses. Also have to know the stats test you'll use for each method. Practice writing operationalised hypotheses making sure you know the difference between a null/one tailed/two tailed. A tip for writing your practical project..write it in a similar way you learnt the G543 studies:
Aim - specifically relating to the option you've chosen
Sampling - how you'll recruit your participants
Method - how they've told you to carry out research (independent measures/repeated/matched/observation/ correlation/self report)
Ethics - how you obtained consent/confidentiality/overcoming deception/right to withdraw/protection
Materials..if you used any
Findings - how you'll gather your data, relating to the method (if it's correlation..you'll quantify and statistically analyse to establish a relationship between the variables, if it's an observation..event/time sampling)
Stasticial test you'll use
The type of data you'll collect..nominal/ordinal

Also have to know a little about probability and p>0.05/type 1 and 2 errors

Yeah, I think that's it for section A
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
My teacher has predicted:
Either Correlation or Repeated measures for section A

and....Physiological v Developmental
Reductionism v Determinism
Data
Ecological validity
Nature/nurture
Observation method
Longitudinal study

For section B
Reply 5
Is stress inoculation therapy cognitive?
does anyone have the june 2014 past paper?
Reply 7
any websites to help revise for this?
Heya for part A

We were taught

My - materials used with specific examples
Silly - sample used and sampling method
Little - location and time
Acronym - allocation to groups
Encourages - ethics (this should be brief!!)
Top - timings within procedure and groups etc
Design - Data collected, how it would used and analysed
Original post by Abzz789
My teacher has predicted:
Either Correlation or Repeated measures for section A

and....Physiological v Developmental
Reductionism v Determinism
Data
Ecological validity
Nature/nurture
Observation method
Longitudinal study

For section B

Oh what thats so different to what we were told

They were like we STRONGLY think that individual difference is going to come up
Original post by Mquinn
any websites to help revise for this?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_u2zr_a7Y0SaQpQtNqdcQk8E-COko2kT

some of the stuff she says is quite useful :smile:
Original post by YasminAbdi
does anyone have the june 2014 past paper?

There ya go
any predictions?for part A and b
In the strength and weakness of the approach do you have to give examples from different studies or does it not matter?
Original post by thegiggler
In the strength and weakness of the approach do you have to give examples from different studies or does it not matter?

Wait is your question asking can we get away with giving 2 strengths of an approach from one study and a weakness from another ?
Original post by PensAndPaper
Oh what thats so different to what we were told

They were like we STRONGLY think that individual difference is going to come up

And the moral of the story is...learn everything!
Original post by PensAndPaper
There ya go

Thanks!
how would I answer this question: If the researcher expects a significance level at p<0.05 but having carried out the inferential statistical test, the actual significance was found to be 0.07. What does this mean?

What I say that the it means that the result is still significant? like a 0.05 probability???
Original post by YasminAbdi
how would I answer this question: If the researcher expects a significance level at p<0.05 but having carried out the inferential statistical test, the actual significance was found to be 0.07. What does this mean?

What I say that the it means that the result is still significant? like a 0.05 probability???

p<0.05 means that the probability that the differences between the conditions occurred due to genuine factors is 95% therefore the probability that it was down to chance is 5% so in that case, you reject the null and accept the alternate hypothesis..so I'd imagine that 0.07 is still significant because that would be 7% insignificant and 93% significant...this part is so confusing
Reply 19
Original post by cherryred90s
p<0.05 means that the probability that the differences between the conditions occurred due to genuine factors is 95% therefore the probability that it was down to chance is 5% so in that case, you reject the null and accept the alternate hypothesis..so I'd imagine that 0.07 is still significant because that would be 7% insignificant and 93% significant...this part is so confusing

wait, but if its 0.07 isn't that more than 0.05 and so the results would be more than 5% due to chance so we would reject the alternate hypothesis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending