The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Hey guys.

I got an offer to study MA Philosophy at Durham 2015/16. I wondered if anyone would be able to offer advice on accommodation? If there is a particular area to look for, etc.?

Also, well done everyone!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hello, gonna be joining Durham for MA in Medieval and Early Modern Studies. I've already settled my college and accommodation, so I've gone through the process. You'll have to join a college anyway, whether you choose to stay in it, so I strongly advise going through the characteristics of the different colleges (they differ in terms of location, population size, facilities, traditional vs modern) here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/postgraduate/accommodation/features/

If you decide to live in college, then each of the colleges have different kinds of rooms to offer for postgraduates (self-catered or catered, ensuite or not, though all should offer single rooms rather than shared).

If you decide to live out, then for somewhere nearer to your department you should aim for areas like Elvet (if you can afford it), and Claypath. But then it also depends which college you end up choosing/allocated, and you'll probably want to stay somewhere between your college and your department.
Reply 162
£250 booking fees, ouch.
Hi all,

I've just been offered the MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience at Durham. I'm absolutely thrilled and can't wait to get started.

Is there still a chance that there is some postgraduate accommodation left in the colleges? Also the £250 fee is baffling me... Is it like a refundable deposit?

Has anyone set up a facebook group yet?
Original post by Diannc
I am also with conditional offer, and still doing my degree, but I need an accommodation, and it's better if I just apply first haha
But Marketing is at Ushaw college, which is a far far away campus, how are you going to get there if you're not living around uni?

Which college have you applied for, btw? I still haven't decided as I won't be much part of it anyway. I'm between Ustinov, Hatfield, St Chad's and University. I've read a few have occupied their capacity but I don't know if that applied for people who won't live at the accommodations.
Reply 165
Can someone explain the college system to me? I don't have any concept of it at all 😇

Is it important? How would I decide which I should apply for? Is my course of study (MA Philosophy) related to what my choice should be? I am confused! 😣
Original post by cmagee3
Hey guys, just had my conditional switched to an uncon today. Startin the MSc Marketing in October! I'm kind of local to Durham (15 minute bus ride away) so I'm pretty indifferent towards which college I pick. Considering University College though, purely because it's in the castle, which is completely badass.
(The bar also looks pretty sick :biggrin:)

Hey, MSc Marketing here as well (although not 100% sure as I also hold an offer from Strathclyde, which is my first choice alongside Durham). Which college did you apply to, after all? Have you been to Ushaw College?
Original post by adam.farrow
Can someone explain the college system to me? I don't have any concept of it at all 😇

Is it important? How would I decide which I should apply for? Is my course of study (MA Philosophy) related to what my choice should be? I am confused! 😣

I think the colleges run almost like the fraternities/sororities in the US (you're probably familiar with them from films). It offers accommodation, communal areas, social events, seminars, etc. But it is run by the university itself. You don't have to live there (I am guessing most of them is inhabited by undergrad freshers, apart from Ustinov) but you need to be a member. As a member, you have access to their environment, which might be good for making friends and networking. So you need to make a decision that will be good both for your professional and personal life.
Original post by JosephHoneywood
Hi all,

I've just been offered the MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience at Durham. I'm absolutely thrilled and can't wait to get started.

Is there still a chance that there is some postgraduate accommodation left in the colleges? Also the £250 fee is baffling me... Is it like a refundable deposit?

Has anyone set up a facebook group yet?

Congratulations!

From past posts I get the impression that a few of the most popular (and smaller) colleges might be fully booked by now. But I suppose give it a shot anyway? You get two choices anyway, so try and make sure that you'll be happy with either one. (Though another poster here was a little annoyed earlier that she was given neither of her choices. That could happen.)

The £250 accommodation deposit seems to be refundable up to two months before the move-in date (this year it's 30 Sept), but there are conditions.

No one's set up a 2015/16 Durham postgrad FB page yet AFAIK. Set one up and invite us if you like!
Aw heck, I had a little time in my hands this morning, so I went ahead and created one.

Join here if you like! https://www.facebook.com/groups/DurhamPostgrad2015/

(For now I'm admin. Obviously. :^_^:)
Original post by adam.farrow
Hey guys.

I got an offer to study MA Philosophy at Durham 2015/16. I wondered if anyone would be able to offer advice on accommodation? If there is a particular area to look for, etc.?

Also, well done everyone!

Hi, maybe we can help.

We run an accommodation site in Durham, in the very popular student area known as The Viaduct. We predominantly cater to postgraduates and have a selection of ensuite rooms in shared flats and studios - I have included a video of our site below.
The location is 5 minutes walk from the train and bus stations and about a 25 minute walk from most campuses and libraries and a 10 minute walk to the heart of Durham City.

[video="youtube;QvYc9WbCzh4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYc9WbCzh4[/video]

If you want any more info on us then check out our website, or just drop us a message :smile:

Hope this helps, welcome to Durham :smile:

Rachel
Universal Student Living Team
Thank you!

I thought that might be the case. I've fallen in love with some of the colleges but I think I'd be happy just being apart of the system! I'm coming from UEA and we don't have anything like that here.

Ah that's great news! Thank you so much for that. I'm trying to be as prepared as I can in terms of finance.
Reply 172
Hey, I'll be doing a PhD in Philosophy at Chad's next year. Any more philosophers?
Reply 173
Original post by JMM206
Hey, I'll be doing a PhD in Philosophy at Chad's next year. Any more philosophers?

I'll be MA Philosophy 👍🏼

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 174
Original post by JMM206

You took my place. :rant: :biggrin:
Reply 175
Original post by Josb
You took my place. :rant: :biggrin:

Sorry :tongue:
Hey, I've just accepted an offer for the English Literary Studies MA. I've been assigned to Hatfield. I live in Newcastle so I'll be commuting, but the postgraduate community sounds wonderful even for non-residents :smile:
Hey,

I have an offer for an MSc in Risk*, studying at Hatfield College. Any other geography postgraduates here?

*environmental hazards and management, rather than financial or business risk
Reply 178
Original post by Fabstone
Which college have you applied for, btw? I still haven't decided as I won't be much part of it anyway. I'm between Ustinov, Hatfield, St Chad's and University. I've read a few have occupied their capacity but I don't know if that applied for people who won't live at the accommodations.

I got in Hatfield, I'm going for the traditional colleges, so which is really awesome! But I think it's easier for people to get in when they are not staying in the accommodations! Ustinov, is all PG, but if you are going for the traditional, Hatfield and University are really good (according to my friend who is in Hatfield) haha
Reply 179
Original post by Diannc
I got in Hatfield, I'm going for the traditional colleges, so which is really awesome! But I think it's easier for people to get in when they are not staying in the accommodations! Ustinov, is all PG, but if you are going for the traditional, Hatfield and University are really good (according to my friend who is in Hatfield) haha

You can choose the college you want if you don't opt for college housing.

Latest