The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SH0405
Well, there's a difference between 'prioritising' exams and forgetting about them.

Meh exams slip my mind, not anymore though :colone:
Original post by OliviaLin
Hardly any of the standard questions came up.. What are OCR playing at? Literally.. I feel like 75% of the G484 specification wasn't even touched upon in that exam.. Where were all the definitions for additional marks? Where was Brownian motion? Kinetic theory of gases & assumptions? Experiments? CIRCULAR MOTION?

Ah I'm hoping they make the bigger unit easier since its worth more.. Seriously can't get over how every single OCR science exam has been a mockery.. One or two are fine to test your understanding.. But every one of them doesn't really give many people a chance :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i COMPLETELY agree. Considering these are the last papers on this spec too, doesn't give much hope either. I'm dreading f325 and g485. feel sick.
Guys in question two. I read the time as seconds not ms. So I got a wrong impulse. How many marks will I lose? Also for the following part where it said how would the acceleration vary over the time period I wrote 1-3 seconds and not ms. Will I lose all marks for just reading s instead of ms?
Original post by rachelc142
erm I messed up Q1, 2a, and didn't recognise the damping and resonance graphs as damping and resonance. I just tried to think through them using the equations.
In short I did much worse than I should have. And I need an A* for my firm choice uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same didn't recognise the resonance and damping graphs but come commented on the resonance in the explanation. Hopefully will get a mark or 2 for that.

I need an A* for uni as well but afterechanics today I think I've screwed my chances of that happening.:angry:
On the plus side my insurance is unconditional:smile:
Original post by pnaidu
i COMPLETELY agree. Considering these are the last papers on this spec too, doesn't give much hope either. I'm dreading f325 and g485. feel sick.

Apparently ocr make there papers a year and a half in advance, which was around the time they were debating about making a levels harder so the people making the exam probs kept that inin when making it. Plus the ocr papers are very similar to what is going to be taught in the new spec and the layout of the papers.
Original post by Elcor
Now I really want to see the QP because I feel like I read a completely different question to you

You can't create that much mass. The LHC creates gold nuclei from converting energy to mass. You'd think they could make a profit from it but no - even at those massive energies it would take billions of years to create a few grams of it so I don't know what you're on about.

I thought that as well, but I'm certain the question said "Xenon ions are created". I thought it must have something to do with the solar power, ie energy converted to mass or something :P
Original post by crypticdar
Guys in question two. I read the time as seconds not ms. So I got a wrong impulse. How many marks will I lose? Also for the following part where it said how would the acceleration vary over the time period I wrote 1-3 seconds and not ms. Will I lose all marks for just reading s instead of ms?

You'll get a method mark, but not the answer mark. Probably 1/2.
Original post by marmalademuffins
I thought that as well, but I'm certain the question said "Xenon ions are created". I thought it must have something to do with the solar power, ie energy converted to mass or something :P

Yeah because it ionised the Xenon atoms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor
Yeah because it ionised the Xenon atoms

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even though I know I'm wrong, you said energy was nowhere near enough.

It would be from the sun, to create the mass needed per second, but the conditions wouldn't be there.

But a straight E=mc², there is plenty of solar energy to form the mass of those ions
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Even though I know I'm wrong, you said energy was nowhere near enough.

It would be from the sun, to create the mass needed per second, but the conditions wouldn't be there.

But a straight E=mc², there is plenty of solar energy to form the mass of those ions

The Xenon was already in the spacecraft, the Sun's energy powered its electronics which in turn would power the component that would ionise the Xenon atoms and shoot them out with an electric field

Panels give power on the order of hundreds of Watts in space, and working that through you could get about 2.5x10^10 Xenon ions per second if ALL of that energy went into making matter (and if it was actually possible to convert energy to matter like that, which it's not). But I see what you mean, you get non-negligible values by the E=mc^2 argument
Original post by Elcor
The Xenon was already in the spacecraft, the Sun's energy powered its electronics which in turn would power the component that would ionise the Xenon atoms and shoot them out with an electric field

Panels give power on the order of hundreds of Watts in space, and working that through you could get about 2.5x10^10 Xenon ions per second if ALL of that energy went into making matter (and if it was actually possible to convert energy to matter like that, which it's not). But I see what you mean, you get non-negligible values by the E=mc^2 argument

I know that now :tongue: exam just made me go into 'they're trying to catch me out' paranoia mode
Reply 1932
Original post by marmalademuffins

Said the xenon ions are accelerated
I think what people need to understand here is that a book on resting on the table is acted on by two forces - its weight and reaction force from the table. The force on the table is not the book's weight! It is the normal electrostatic force exerted on it by the book, which is also the normal reaction force exerted on the book of the same type, and also the normal force exerted by earth on it. If the book accelerated due to weight, it means the electrostatic force exerted on the book was unequal to its weight, so it will tear through the table. Weight only acts on the book, not the table. This is third law.
Original post by suprisefish
Did you not stop and think that your answer might be a tiny bit too small for the mass of a planet...some people have no common sense.

Could just be a small planet, or not very dense. I did think it was small but for some reason I didn't notice the units.
Original post by Danmoss1729
Could just be a small planet, or not very dense. I did think it was small but for some reason I didn't notice the units.

99% sure it asked to calculate the mass of the star and not a planet.
Original post by steffanwb
99% sure it asked to calculate the mass of the star and not a planet.

yeah it was a star it was similar size to ours I think

edit: by ours I meant the sun haha. realised that sounded a bit off
Posted from TSR Mobile
I really don't know why so many people (not necessarily on here but in my school) failed with the golf ball question. Its simple projectiles LOL. Its not even M2 its more G481 or M1.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
360-210=150/300 for C

150-48=102/240

So you need 102/240 for exams

Let's say you get highest U possible

35/90

102-35=67/150

So you need 67/150 in G485

So you need an E in g485 for a C overall :smile:

Might as well aim for a B! In which case you would need 127/150 (low-mid A)

thank you so much!!
Has anyone got a copy of the newtonian world paper or a link to a copy? Also in question 6 for the time question did the question provide you with the power or did you have to work it out?

Latest

Trending

Trending