The Student Room Group

WJEC French FN4 - Mon 15 Jun

A thread for us doing this on Monday.

@L'Evil Fish for one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What have you studied for the last question? Doing a film/book?
Original post by adeel96
What have you studied for the last question? Doing a film/book?

I'm doing L'Étranger.
Do you know any good websites for L'étranger as I'm doing that too! I really struggle to revise for it…
Original post by isabella96xx
Do you know any good websites for L'étranger as I'm doing that too! I really struggle to revise for it…

Our teacher has been giving us these notes as we studied it:
http://www.d-barfield.co.uk/Contents%20for%20l'Etranger.html

I was planning to type up my chapter-by-chapter summaries and add them to TSR as well.
Thanks very much! What are your predictions for questions? I'm thinking the role of Salamano and his dog or the theme of the natural world and its importance.

Original post by Saracen's Fez
Our teacher has been giving us these notes as we studied it:
http://www.d-barfield.co.uk/Contents%20for%20l'Etranger.html

I was planning to type up my chapter-by-chapter summaries and add them to TSR as well.
Thanks very much! What are your predictions for questions? I'm thinking the role of Salamano and his dog or the theme of the natural world and its importance.

I'm praying for Salamano, yes. Nature would be awful though, there's just not that much to say.

Last year they had it easy with "Pourquoi Meursault est-il un étranger?" though.
I'm praying for Salamano, yes. Nature would be awful though, there's just not that much to say.

Last year they had it easy with "Pourquoi Meursault est-il un étranger?" though.

Nature is quite a difficult one... although I feel like it is a very prominent theme so I will try and revise it.

I've started to type up my notes on L'Étranger and they should be available here as I upload them:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources?q=&level_id%5B%5D=a2&subject_id%5B%5D=french&topic%5B%5D=L%27%C3%89tranger
I've started to type up my notes on L'Étranger and they should be available here as I upload them:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources?q=&level_id%5B%5D=a2&subject_id%5B%5D=french&topic%5B%5D=L%27%C3%89tranger

Great, thanks for that :smile: I'm most worried about the translation to be honest!
Hey Guys,
Anyone doing the film ''Le Grand Voyage'' and knows any good links that they could give me?
I have been ''teaching myself'' so to say and am having rouble with the essay structure etc...

THank you :smile:
Is anyone doing "Au Revoir Les Enfants" ?
Original post by Wjec.Lang
Hey Guys,
Anyone doing the film ''Le Grand Voyage'' and knows any good links that they could give me?
I have been ''teaching myself'' so to say and am having rouble with the essay structure etc...

I'm doing it as well

I don't have any links since my teacher gave us all of the information on hand-outs, but I'll try and help you with anything you don't understand

essay structure is very difficult to describe since it varies depending on the essay title

in general, I follow this
Introduction - Outline and define key words in the question and describe their overall role in the film (big, small, important etc)
Point 1 - Point, Evidence from the film, explain - If possible make this a positive point
Point 2 - Point, Evidence from the film and explain - If possible make this a negative point
Point 3 - Point, Evidence from the film and explain - It can be either positive or negative
Conclusion -Brief summary of points made and your final opinion

I've been following this and have been getting As in my mock essays

I would recommend researching the Hajj and the five pillars of Islam since it is important to the film as well :smile:
Original post by OkazakiTomoya
I'm doing it as well

I don't have any links since my teacher gave us all of the information on hand-outs, but I'll try and help you with anything you don't understand

essay structure is very difficult to describe since it varies depending on the essay title

in general, I follow this
Introduction - Outline and define key words in the question and describe their overall role in the film (big, small, important etc)
Point 1 - Point, Evidence from the film, explain - If possible make this a positive point
Point 2 - Point, Evidence from the film and explain - If possible make this a negative point
Point 3 - Point, Evidence from the film and explain - It can be either positive or negative
Conclusion -Brief summary of points made and your final opinion

I've been following this and have been getting As in my mock essays

I would recommend researching the Hajj and the five pillars of Islam since it is important to the film as well :smile:

Thank you, so much :smile:
Good luck on Monday :biggrin:
Reply 14
anyone doing la haine?? I'm struggling to think of possible themes that could come up
Reply 15
For those of you doing L'Etranger, what am I supposed to know? I've realised it's two days until the exam and I have very little knowledge of either of my GS options (L'Etranger or La Haine), as I've been taught nothing over the year. I'm now hoping SparkNotes can teach me everything I need to know about L'Etranger by Monday, as there's very little I can find on La Haine.
Reply 16
Original post by Wjec.Lang
Hey Guys,

I used these for my oral :smile:

http://www.austinfilm.org/page.aspx?pid=2885
http://institutfrancais.de/cinefete/IMG/pdf/le_grand_voyage.pdfhttps://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/films/films.php?id=9667http://collegeaucinema77.com/wp-contenu/uploads/2013/10/Le-Grand-Voyage-de-Ismaël-Ferroukh.pdf
Original post by Pourquoi
For those of you doing L'Etranger, what am I supposed to know? I've realised it's two days until the exam and I have very little knowledge of either of my GS options (L'Etranger or La Haine), as I've been taught nothing over the year. I'm now hoping SparkNotes can teach me everything I need to know about L'Etranger by Monday, as there's very little I can find on La Haine.

You need to know the roles of the secondary characters (Raymond, Salamano, Marie...) in showing aspect's of Meursault's character and the message of the novel. Also the main themes (nature, justice, love).

Surely you've already done the oral on one of these options though and only need to learn the one now?
Reply 18
You need to know the roles of the secondary characters (Raymond, Salamano, Marie...) in showing aspect's of Meursault's character and the message of the novel. Also the main themes (nature, justice, love).

Surely you've already done the oral on one of these options though and only need to learn the one now?

Thank you. Do you have any good links? And any ideas about what could come up. My teacher has taught us nothing.

We studied three Guided Studies Options, so now have two left for the paper. However, we have done none in detail, not studying characters or themes or anything. The only one I know really well is the one I did for oral, because of all the extra research I did, and I can't do that one for the paper.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pourquoi
Thank you. Do you have any good links? My teacher has taught us nothing about this book.

We studied three Guided Studies Options, so now have two left for the paper. However, we have done none in detail, not studying characters or themes or anything. The only one I know really well is the one I did for oral, because of all the extra research I did, and I can't do that one for the paper.

That is a daft policy. Do they let you choose which one you do for the oral or do they tell you which one? We were told we were doing La Haine for SN3 and L'Étranger for SN4, and that was what we were taught guided studies-wise, nothing more.

See further up in the thread for the Barfield notes on L'Étranger, and Shmoop is also a decent site for notes on The Stranger. (Also my notes on L'Étranger chapter-by-chapter that I'm adding to the resources section on TSR.)

Most of what we've done on L'Étranger and La Haine has been on paper though, and not coming from the internet, so I'm a bit stuck for other sites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending