The Student Room Group

Want to do a course, but I may be unable to do it?

I want to do, pharmaceutical chemistry (with a year abroad)) MChem, however i've just taken my as levels and I don't think I did that well in Biology and Chemistry :frown::frown:.

The requirement is

ABB Typical offer

And an A in GCSE in maths if not taken at a-level. As it's specified do you think they will take this strongly, because I have a B in GCSE maths not an A :frown::frown:.

Also applying to the course, I assume that i'm going to resitting my as levels as well as doing a2 next year if i do well and actually get the targets, how would the applying work because I thought you apply to uni after as level but if i do apply i'll be applying with bad grades.
Original post by TheJCEP
I want to do, pharmaceutical chemistry (with a year abroad)) MChem, however i've just taken my as levels and I don't think I did that well in Biology and Chemistry :frown::frown:.

The requirement is

ABB Typical offer

And an A in GCSE in maths if not taken at a-level. As it's specified do you think they will take this strongly, because I have a B in GCSE maths not an A :frown::frown:.

Also applying to the course, I assume that i'm going to resitting my as levels as well as doing a2 next year if i do well and actually get the targets, how would the applying work because I thought you apply to uni after as level but if i do apply i'll be applying with bad grades.

wow, someone I can actually offer advice to because of similar circumstances! I'm like you but a year ahead pal, I want to do law which is typically an AAA offer.

If you haven't taken maths at A-level and they say if you havent you need A at GCSE then, well, you need it, its a requirement.
As for applying, depending on how badly you think youve done you may still get grades you can apply with, if so, then great! If not, then chances are you'll have to apply to somewhere decent that may still give you an offer - even if you have no intention of going there - and then going to the actual Uni you want to go to through Clearing or Adjustment
If you get as grades quite far off their entry requirements then it's unlikely you ll get an offer. In that case some people take gap years or do a foundation year if they ve got their heart set on a particular course / uni.
Reply 3
Original post by All-rounder
wow, someone I can actually offer advice to because of similar circumstances! I'm like you but a year ahead pal, I want to do law which is typically an AAA offer.

If you haven't taken maths at A-level and they say if you havent you need A at GCSE then, well, you need it, its a requirement.
As for applying, depending on how badly you think youve done you may still get grades you can apply with, if so, then great! If not, then chances are you'll have to apply to somewhere decent that may still give you an offer - even if you have no intention of going there - and then going to the actual Uni you want to go to through Clearing or Adjustment

Thanks for your help pal, It's so guttering I need maths at a grade A I literally looked thoroughly at the course details and fell in love and i've just realised that requirement owell haha thanks anyway!!
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
If you get as grades quite far off their entry requirements then it's unlikely you ll get an offer. In that case some people take gap years or do a foundation year if they ve got their heart set on a particular course / uni.

Yeah feel that I will get quite far off the grade requirements to add to misery I dont even do a third a-level I do a BTEC although i'm guaranteed a D* It's not what they want :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
Original post by TheJCEP
Yeah feel that I will get quite far off the grade requirements to add to misery I dont even do a third a-level I do a BTEC although i'm guaranteed a D* It's not what they want :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

i d contact the uni and check they accept btecs, is there a possibility you could do bsc chem eng instead as it could have lower requirements then switch to the masters after first year? i believe some unis are happy to do that if you get a good grade in the 1st year.
also theres nothing stopping you doing maths again just pay to do a resist (assuming the uni you are looking at accepts this)
Reply 7
i d contact the uni and check they accept btecs, is there a possibility you could do bsc chem eng instead as it could have lower requirements then switch to the masters after first year? i believe some unis are happy to do that if you get a good grade in the 1st year.

That sounds perfect really, so what would be an ideal first year course to do before trying to switch and would it have to be with the uni i'm applying for?
Original post by TheJCEP
That sounds perfect really, so what would be an ideal first year course to do before trying to switch and would it have to be with the uni i'm applying for?

well i think you d have to do chem still but as a bsc, not all unis would do it but its worth asking if its doable.
Reply 9
well i think you d have to do chem still but as a bsc, not all unis would do it but its worth asking if its doable.

Appreciate all your help friend, thank you.
Original post by TheJCEP
Appreciate all your help friend, thank you.

no problem, best of luck with your uni applications:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending