The Student Room Group

Gcse media studies 2015- exam topic television news help

Hi Everyone,

My GCSE Media Exam is soon and I need to respond to a brief by picking out 3 out of 6 stories that appeal to 16-24 year olds and reasons why and I don't know what to pick the stories are below please could you help me out...
:LATEST FIGURES SHOW UNEMPLOYMENT FOR 16-24 YEAR OLDS
:POWERFUL HURRICAINE HITS CARRIBEAN AND HEADS FOR USA
TEENAGER CROSSES ENGLISH CHANNEL
:FOOTBALLER TALKS ABOUT RACISM IN SPORT
16S MAY BE ALOUD TO VOTE
POLICE WARN FESTVAL GOERS ABOUT CIKET FRAUD
(Please could you help by picking three story's and reasons why each story has been picked, mentioning perhaps the news values)
THANK YOU :smile:
Hi there! I do media studies too, and I'm stuck between which 3 stories I have to choose. I would say that the lead story should be of the hurricane, and the other two stories should be:
- Unemployment figures: this would be appealing as many 16-24 year olds are either working or looking for a job. This will affect them, and they can relate to it if they themselves are currently unemployed.
- Teenager crosses the Channel: if you read the brief, it mentions that the teenager swam across the channel "in memory of her brother, who was killed by a drunk driver". I would say this is appealing because this audience can identify with someone of a similar age as them. Also, the audience will definitely be aware of the dangers of drink-driving, and perhaps even some members of this young audience drink and drive, so they will become aware of these dangers.

The other stories are softer than the ones I have mentioned, although they do, in one way or another, appeal to the target audience. You have to keep in mind the fact that this audience is NOT you, so don't base it on things YOU find appealing, as you are not part of this audience (or maybe you are - 16 years of age - but there is an older, and wider audience, above you, so you need to think about the demographics and psychographics of this audience.

I'm struggling with the brief myself, I have to say, but keep in mind the questions they might ask you. Take a look at past papers, and see the format of the questions asked previously.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by mkeshefkhan
Hi there! I do media studies too, and I'm stuck between which 3 stories I have to choose. I would say that the lead story should be of the hurricane, and the other two stories should be:
- Unemployment figures: this would be appealing as many 16-24 year olds are either working or looking for a job. This will affect them, and they can relate to it if they themselves are currently unemployed.
- Teenager crosses the Channel: if you read the brief, it mentions that the teenager swam across the channel "in memory of her brother, who was killed by a drunk driver". I would say this is appealing because this audience can identify with someone of a similar age as them. Also, the audience will definitely be aware of the dangers of drink-driving, and perhaps even some members of this young audience drink and drive, so they will become aware of these dangers.

Hi everyone:
I am going through the preliminary material and I think the hurricaine should go first like mkeshefkhan quoted and the unemployment next but instead of the swim I think the ticket fraud as it is more appealing the audience? What do you think ?
Please can someone explain whether this makes a good third story and why or should I stick to the swim story?
Reply 3
hey guys so my media teacher told me that hurricane story doesnt need to be used due to the show being of national rather than international which the story contains, do you think thats something that should be done and also what questions do you guys think will come up, lke maybe a website layout the news site?
The hurricane is definitely a no no.To revise, just plan your ideas out in a brainstorm or on lined paper.

Here's a practise paper website I found; http://gcseenglishandmedia.weebly.com/exam-practise.html

The second paper is especially useful I think because it kind of suits the pre-release material.

Remember it's aimed at 16-24 year old's so it has to be very entertaining!

I got 87/90 in coursework which was an A* and in my last mock I got 57/60 so I am feeling ready... good luck!
G
Original post by dawideksoltysik
The hurricane is definitely a no no.To revise, just plan your ideas out in a brainstorm or on lined paper.

Here's a practise paper website I found; http://gcseenglishandmedia.weebly.com/exam-practise.html

The second paper is especially useful I think because it kind of suits the pre-release material.

Remember it's aimed at 16-24 year old's so it has to be very entertaining!

I got 87/90 in coursework which was an A* and in my last mock I got 57/60 so I am feeling ready... good luck!

I hope it's ok to ask but what storieS did u pick and why also have u any ideas for an openings ident a storyboard u have made maybes and finally how does e media a sip supptv news

P.s my media teacher hash not been in for 3 months
Thank u
Goodluc
The hurricane is definitely a no no!

if the Hurricane story is a definite no no, what would you do to meet the client brief of saying they pride themselves in being 'the first to break news'? :smile:
Original post by benxshelton
if the Hurricane story is a definite no no, what would you do to meet the client brief of saying they pride themselves in being 'the first to break news'? :smile:

The hurricane story is global, not national. But seeing that, it makes you think more about the USP you will have to fulfil that criteria. :smile:
Well at this stage I would say the lead story should be Story 1 - Latest figures show increase in number of unemployed young people in Britain. The second story could be either Story 5, or Story 6 (can someone tell me why they would pick each of these?) and lastly, the 3rd story should be Story 4, because of the news value of an elite person, and it's a bit softer than the others - though it's intriguing because it shows racism is still an issue in today's society, and the audience will want to know whether there will ever be an end to this issue.
I suppose the story about ticket prices isn't appealing for the WHOLE audience... I don't know... Yes, it's appealing as many young people attend summer festivals, but there is also another (older) audience which attends festivals. I think the crossing the Channel story is appealing as it represents the audience as heroic and brave, which breaks the stereotype that is laid on young people that they are 'good-for-nothing'. I think this is important as the audience will feel powerful and will feel good about themselves. This will also make the audience want to return to the programme as it compliments them. And as I mentioned earlier, it will raise awareness of the dangers of drink-driving.
However, after thinking about the lead story again, I now wouldn't put the story about the hurricane as the lead story. This is mainly because the hurricane wouldn't affect the audience as much as the others because it isn't something that is directly affecting the audience i.e. putting their life in danger.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well at this stage I would say the lead story should be Story 1 - Latest figures show increase in number of unemployed young people in Britain. The second story could be either Story 5, or Story 6 (can someone tell me why they would pick each of these?) and lastly, the 3rd story should be Story 4, because of the news value of an elite person, and it's a bit softer than the others - though it's intriguing because it shows racism is still an issue in today's society, and the audience will want to know whether there will ever be an end to this issue.
I suppose the story about ticket prices isn't appealing for the WHOLE audience... I don't know... Yes, it's appealing as many young people attend summer festivals, but there is also another (older) audience which attends festivals. I think the crossing the Channel story is appealing as it represents the audience as heroic and brave, which breaks the stereotype that is laid on young people that they are 'good-for-nothing'. I think this is important as the audience will feel powerful and will feel good about themselves. This will also make the audience want to return to the programme as it compliments them. And as I mentioned earlier, it will raise awareness of the dangers of drink-driving.
However, after thinking about the lead story again, I now wouldn't put the story about the hurricane as the lead story. This is mainly because the hurricane wouldn't affect the audience as much as the others because it isn't something that is directly affecting the audience i.e. putting their life in danger.

I chose story 5 about the politics as the lead story because it's elite nations, appeals to the demographic and seems still quite proximate and the elections thing still continues until today.

Story 6 should go next because it hits the E demographics and it's negativity and simplicity.

Then story 4 which is a typical convention of sport going at the end of the bulletin and typically many of the younger demographic will be interested in the football and London is a very multicultural society so it will be relevant (if you're not from London, this might propably not appeal to you)

That's what I think anyway and my teacher has certainly agreed.
I chose story 5 about the politics as the lead story because it's elite nations, appeals to the demographic and seems still quite proximate and the elections thing still continues until today.

Story 6 should go next because it hits the E demographics and it's negativity and simplicity.

Then story 4 which is a typical convention of sport going at the end of the bulletin and typically many of the younger demographic will be interested in the football and London is a very multicultural society so it will be relevant (if you're not from London, this might propably not appeal to you)

That's what I think anyway and my teacher has certainly agreed.

I must say, I agree too. But yes, I am a little concerned about whether Story 5 would appeal to the whole audience, because only the 16-17 year olds are the subject of this (anyone 18 and over can vote anyway, so would they care?)

Besides, the summer festival is definitely appealing, because it's suitable for that lifestyle.
I must say, I agree too. But yes, I am a little concerned about whether Story 5 would appeal to the whole audience, because only the 16-17 year olds are the subject of this (anyone 18 and over can vote anyway, so would they care?)

Besides, the summer festival is definitely appealing, because it's suitable for that lifestyle.

Well, Yh, the elections thing is a bit of a difficult one. However, in the visual material section is talks about Vox Pops to illustrate reaction so it could be that the older 18-24 demographic could be the ones who react ot the proposal.

Maybe? I' don't really know now, I'm just going to roll with things as they are. :smile:
Sure, if you're comfortable with that, as long as you justify your choices there isn't a right or wrong answer in the end. I'm going for Stories 1, 4 and 6.
By the way, what are your thoughts on Story 3?
How did you lot find it? I though it was a fairly decent and fair exam! :smile:
EASY!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending