The Student Room Group

UCL VS OXFROD BROOKES Architecture

I have received both an offer from UCL and Brookes for architecture with the same offer and i now have to choose my firm. i have no idea which to chose as i love them both. Anyone with tips or info on which to chose?
Reply 1
Hey :smile: I've moved this thread in to here as I think you'll get more of a response in here :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by LH2015
I have received both an offer from UCL and Brookes for architecture with the same offer and i now have to choose my firm. i have no idea which to chose as i love them both. Anyone with tips or info on which to chose?

UCL Architecture is way better than Oxford Brookes Architecture. Architecture is one of those courses that UCL is really good at teaching. It's one of their best courses.
Wow congratz on getting offers from these schools! UCL is personally one of my fav, it has a much higher reputation than oxford brookes even for globally. Out of curiosity, do you have any of your artwork that you sent to architecture schools and can I take a look at them for reference?:smile: im applying uni nxt year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LH2015

Its amazing that you got an offer for both and you probably have chosen your firm by now. I just want to let you know that sometimes, reputation is not everything. There is still a chance to fail in architecture even if you go to the best universities. Think that way, UCL is in London, which means busy area and accommodations very expensive. Though Oxford Brookes are lower on the league tables, it has an amazing environmental course and its is much more practical (also no exams). I have gone to UCL Summer School for Architecture and absolutely hated it, the course is way boring and the people are just stuck up, even teachers. When I went to Oxford Brookes, I just felt in love with everything. The course, teachers, students and their amazing work.

But all depends on you, some people from the summer school are going to study in UCL next year... so it really depends on you!
(edited 8 years ago)
UCL 100%, more job prospects
Brookes - Oxford is a much nicer place to live.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
UCL 100%, more job prospects

Yeah sure just study in a place for 5 years (Architecture) that you might hate, just for "job prospects"
Read history at Warwick my friend
Original post by patriciacouceiro
Yeah sure just study in a place for 5 years (Architecture) that you might hate, just for "job prospects"

Or just spend 9k a year for 5 years and have no job at the end of it.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Or just spend 9k a year for 5 years and have no job at the end of it.

Yes because it isnt like Brookes has an 85% employment rate too (which is pretty good considering how bad the construction industry is affected by recession). Going to the Bartlett won't give a huge advantage over a Brookes student given that both are well known schools within industry. Very ignorant.
Original post by HarryW03
Yes because it isnt like Brookes has an 85% employment rate too (which is pretty good considering how bad the construction industry is affected by recession). Going to the Bartlett won't give a huge advantage over a Brookes student given that both are well known schools within industry. Very ignorant.

Thank you! Finally someone that actually knows that they're talking about. I was just trying to help someone, but kinda lost the energy when started to get those kind of comments.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you! Finally someone that actually knows that they're talking about. I was just trying to help someone, but kinda lost the energy when started to get those kind of comments.

You and your friend have no EQ.
Its amazing that you got an offer for both and you probably have chosen your firm by now. I just want to let you know that sometimes, reputation is not everything. There is still a chance to fail in architecture even if you go to the best universities. Think that way, UCL is in London, which means busy area and accommodations very expensive. Though Oxford Brookes are lower on the league tables, it has an amazing environmental course and its is much more practical (also no exams). I have gone to UCL Summer School for Architecture and absolutely hated it, the course is way boring and the people are just stuck up, even teachers. When I went to Oxford Brookes, I just felt in love with everything. The course, teachers, students and their amazing work.

But all depends on you, some people from the summer school are going to study in UCL next year... so it really depends on you!

Would be interested to hear more about how it went down in Summer School at the Bartlett? Never been there but I'm no fan of the place, other than reports similar to what you've given they seem to be trying to be too clever for their own good but often focusing on areas other than architecture, i.e. electronics, oddities, etc. While its generally got its name spread around as a top status brand in architecture perhaps only matched by the AA in the UK its really produced remarkably little to warrent its notable status. For sure the allure is probably there for OP and many students that get an offer and I can see the attraction that status / name recognition brings. That said, I struggle to find an ex-student of the Bartlett that has ever come to much in architecture, particularly of recent. The few I have noticed in passing haven't seem to have got very far/amounted to much. Perhaps if a student at Oxford brookes is mediocre they will just not get a look in where a mediocre student at the Bartlett might do on the back of the schools name when job hunting afterwards. For sure for some people getting an offer/into the Bartlett is the ulitimate achievement so if it is for OP then he should go for it, the type of architecture at the Bartlett or lack there off never interested me so hence why I never applied there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Brookes Student Here:

Firstly (just to reiterate) at Brookes we have a pretty good employment rate as well - last year every third year that wanted a job with an Architects firm got one.

UCL is higher in league tables (usually Bath, UCL and Cambridge make up the top 3), but again Brookes isn't that far behind, and league tables are far from perfect.

With Architectural education being like it is (intensive course, lots of time spent with fellow students, tutors and in the studio) I think THE MOST important thing is that you like the feel of the school that you're going for. If you don't like the people you are learning with and being taught by you WILL hate it and will likely do really badly as a result.

Both of them are very good places to study Architecture and for the foreseeable future the Job market is pretty good too.

Personally I absolutely didn't want to study in London, I find it a really stressful place to be, and it is much more expensive than Oxford (although Oxford is still pretty expensive). For me, I visited all of the universities that I applied for (Brookes, Nottingham, Kent, Cardiff and Plymouth - I got offers from all of them, but when I went to Brookes it just felt right so I went for that (and really glad that I did, I've really enjoyed it so far).

Anyway long story short - both of them are good and have different merits and downsides. Go and visit both if you haven't already and go for whichever one feels like the best fit for you. Anyway, good luck, and maybe see you in Oxford this September!
Reply 15
Hi - is anyone going to the Brookes london show applicant day?
I haven't been yet and thought I should see the work. We could meet up - its 1-4 at Clerkenwell gallery - 20 clerkenwell green.
Reply 16
UCL

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending