The Student Room Group

2015 Edexcel Politics Unit 4C - Governing the USA discussion

Couldn't find a post on this years exam so thought I'd make one.

Federalism seems like a tricky subject - how would you answer a question on federalism eroding as a constitutional principle? Any help on this or the exam in general appreciated, thanks

Scroll to see replies

For federalism eroding as a principle, you could talk about Bush's presidency and his promise to 'starve the beast' whilst increasing spending, including creating the DHS and expanding medicaid prescription drug benefit. Then there's Obama, taking Arizona to court in US v Arizona.
Has anyone got any hunches on what may come up? Or on any revision tips? Thanks xxx
Original post by georgia-moore
Has anyone got any hunches on what may come up? Or on any revision tips? Thanks xxx

I've heard a 45 marker on federalism is possible,but who knows? Also appointments as a 15 marker.
I would really like that, federalism is one of the things I'm more comfortable with. I just hope there isn't 2 15 markers on judiciary, I'm going to avoid it if possible.
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
I've heard a 45 marker on federalism is possible,but who knows? Also appointments as a 15 marker.

What kind of 15 marker on appointments are you thinking? One that I would like is 'how political are supreme court appointments?' or similar
what topics do you think is going to come up for 45marks like out congres, presidency, constitution and judiciary?
Original post by Lost_hope
what topics do you think is going to come up for 45marks like out congres, presidency, constitution and judiciary?

For Presidency, a 45 mark question on the nature of a Presidency could be likely since Obama is coming to the end of his two years in his second term. So questions could be on "To what extent are modern presidents 'imperial' or how powerful is the lame-duck president?

For Congress, questions could be on how well it performs it's functions or how powerful is Congress. Judiciary questions could be on one of the theories like judicial activism, i.e Is Judical activism justified or the power of the judiciary etc.

I'm not so sure about a Constitution 45 mark q but it could be "How effectively does the Constitution protect individual rights?"
Original post by Alphascout1
For Presidency, a 45 mark question on the nature of a Presidency could be likely since Obama is coming to the end of his two years in his second term. So questions could be on "To what extent are modern presidents 'imperial' or how powerful is the lame-duck president?

For Congress, questions could be on how well it performs it's functions or how powerful is Congress. Judiciary questions could be on one of the theories like judicial activism, i.e Is Judical activism justified or the power of the judiciary etc.

I'm not so sure about a Constitution 45 mark q but it could be "How effectively does the Constitution protect individual rights?"

what would you write for the lame duck president one?
I looked at the last year exam and it looks hard :s-smilie:

i would love the modern president is imperial and the congress question. i think the lame-duck one kind of came up last year with why second term presidents decline power
what would you write for the lame duck president one?

I have done a past paper question on this, "A Presidents power inevitably declines in a second term in office. Discuss" Key word is inevitably so you would need to discuss relative importance

I did this question in point/counterpoint style. My arguments for the lame-duck president being powerful were: Veto use could rise as there is no re-election, lame duck President can set policy agenda for next president e.g Obama foreign policy on ISIS and lame duck President can influence domestic policy still e.g Obama immigration EO.

Counterpoints are: high usage of veto can make president appear obstructive which can affect approval ratings, some second term policy areas fail e.g Obama on Guanatamo Bay and Congress can set agenda more e.g TPA in 2015 has stalled due to Congress

I hope that helps otherwise fire away your questions or if you want more detail, ask :smile:
I have done a past paper question on this, "A Presidents power inevitably declines in a second term in office. Discuss" Key word is inevitably so you would need to discuss relative importance

I did this question in point/counterpoint style. My arguments for the lame-duck president being powerful were: Veto use could rise as there is no re-election, lame duck President can set policy agenda for next president e.g Obama foreign policy on ISIS and lame duck President can influence domestic policy still e.g Obama immigration EO.

Counterpoints are: high usage of veto can make president appear obstructive which can affect approval ratings, some second term policy areas fail e.g Obama on Guanatamo Bay and Congress can set agenda more e.g TPA in 2015 has stalled due to Congress

I hope that helps otherwise fire away your questions or if you want more detail, ask :smile:
thank you that helped a lot, do you mind explaining the second term one, plz and how is revision going
thank you that helped a lot, do you mind explaining the second term one, plz and how is revision going

The failure of second term policies? A president can become less powerful if he doesn't fufill second term pledges as the electorate can hold him to account. This makes them weak as the electorate can use a mid term election as a referendum on the President e.g 2014 mid terms seen as referendum on Obama. In addition, policy failures can make a President weak within his party as other party members may credit their loss in mid terms to an unpopular president. Also the failed polices of a lame duck president give a incoming president clear policy areas to work on as the electorate will want to see improvements and in a second term, Congress and media look towards the next election which can make second term policy failures more important.

My revision is going okay, I feel able to answer any topic for 15 mark questions. For the 45 mark questions, I feel happy to answer Judicary, Congress or Presidency. I am feeling quite confident and am hoping to improve on my Unit 3 exam as that one didn't go so well I think. How is your revision going?
The failure of second term policies? A president can become less powerful if he doesn't fufill second term pledges as the electorate can hold him to account. This makes them weak as the electorate can use a mid term election as a referendum on the President e.g 2014 mid terms seen as referendum on Obama. In addition, policy failures can make a President weak within his party as other party members may credit their loss in mid terms to an unpopular president. Also the failed polices of a lame duck president give a incoming president clear policy areas to work on as the electorate will want to see improvements and in a second term, Congress and media look towards the next election which can make second term policy failures more important.

My revision is going okay, I feel able to answer any topic for 15 mark questions. For the 45 mark questions, I feel happy to answer Judicary, Congress or Presidency. I am feeling quite confident and am hoping to improve on my Unit 3 exam as that one didn't go so well I think. How is your revision going?

i'm feeling ok too, would love congress, presidency and judiciary 45 marks too. hope its better than last years paper, a lot of people found it hard

do you do 3c for unit 3
do you do 3c for unit 3

Yes I did 3C, Representative Processes in the USA
Yes I did 3C, Representative Processes in the USA

oh okay, what 45 mark did you do?
oh okay, what 45 mark did you do?

The one on Parties, "The Republicans are more divided than the Democrats" Discuss.
The one on Parties, "The Republicans are more divided than the Democrats" Discuss.
did you think this paper was harder than last years one?

Quick Reply

Latest