The Student Room Group

OCR B Salter's Chemistry by Design F335 - 15th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by davvv
As I'm sure you all know F334 was a bloodbath. I worry that F335 is going to be just as awful. Does anyone have any advice on how to comprehend the questions quickly? You can sit there and read the question through but it saps precious time so there's a trade-off. Also is there anything in particular I should focus my revision on over the weekend apart from just stuff I'm not sure about?

F335 is like the entire chemistry course in one paper...

so much to learn esp the reactions..
Reply 61
Original post by suyoof123

Indeed, but I've always preferred it to F334 for some reason. Think it's because there's more synoptic stuff from AS. I've made a few last-minute organic reaction cards, just gonna be testing myself with those at random points until the exam. Hopefully it'll stick.
Reply 62
Original post by davvv
As I'm sure you all know F334 was a bloodbath. I worry that F335 is going to be just as awful. Does anyone have any advice on how to comprehend the questions quickly? You can sit there and read the question through but it saps precious time so there's a trade-off. Also is there anything in particular I should focus my revision on over the weekend apart from just stuff I'm not sure about?

Generally I read the actual question before reading the context because then I can make the links whilst reading it, then I answer the questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol the reactions are killing me but i memorised it by singing it in the tune of the element song.
I'm sensing that a disgusting nmr spectrum is awaiting us
Original post by EggsterminateMe
Lol the reactions are killing me but i memorised it by singing it in the tune of the element song.

Dont be shy, whats the lyrics ^^

Its the reagants that are deadly imo.
Dont be shy, whats the lyrics ^^

Its the reagants that are deadly imo.

Yes lol It's not all that and the reagents just come to me when I say the name. It's only the benzene ring reactions.

*Cough Cough*
# There is Acylation, Alkylation, Bromination, Chlorination, Hydrogenation, Nitration, Reduction, and Sul-fo-nation!#

Just ordered it in alphabetical order lol.

(The mini font is what i say in ym head when im Singing it. No kidding.

Probs missed a few things.

There is Acylation (RCOCL, AlCl3 catalyst, reflux) Alkylation (AlCl3, RCl, Reflux)
Bromination (Br2, FeBr2, room temp) Chlorination (Cl2, AlCl3 catalyst, warm)
Hydrogenation (H2, 300 degrees, 30 atm) Nitration(Conc. H2SO4, below 55 degrees) Reduction(Add Sn and HCl to Nitrobenzene) and Sul-fo-nation! (Conc H2SO4) #
Yes lol It's not all that and the reagents just come to me when I say the name. It's only the benzene ring reactions.

*Cough Cough*
# There is Acylation, Alkylation, Bromination, Chlorination, Hydrogenation, Nitration, Reduction, and Sul-fo-nation!#

Just ordered it in alphabetical order lol.

(The mini font is what i say in ym head when im Singing it. No kidding.

Probs missed a few things.

There is Acylation (RCOCL, AlCl3 catalyst, reflux) Alkylation (AlCl3, RCl, Reflux)
Bromination (Br2, FeBr2, room temp) Chlorination (Cl2, AlCl3 catalyst, warm)
Hydrogenation (H2, 300 degrees, 30 atm) Nitration(Conc. H2SO4, below 55 degrees) Reduction(Add Sn and HCl to Nitrobenzene) and Sul-fo-nation! (Conc H2SO4) #

WHOOP WHOOP :smile:

Is it Febr2 or FeBr3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron%28III%29_bromide

And then you got the alkane-alkene-carboxylic acids- amine .....
Original post by tealover96
I'm sensing that a disgusting nmr spectrum is awaiting us

I think so too, I'm absolutely dreading it. I think my tactic is going to be spend a couple minutes on it and if I'm not getting anywhere then to skip it and come back at the end.
how do you answer questions regarding ph of a buffer and after they have reacted with certain amount of something like sodium hydroxide
WHOOP WHOOP :smile:

Is it Febr2 or FeBr3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron%28III%29_bromide

And then you got the alkane-alkene-carboxylic acids- amine .....

Yes FeBr3 sorry.

I don't how I'm gonna learn those. Maybe use my mind palace somehow
Yes FeBr3 sorry.

I don't how I'm gonna learn those. Maybe use my mind palace somehow

All that extra story line bs about van gough and his useless painting is annnoying.

WHO CARES ABOUT MORDANTING AND MONSTRAL BLUEEE"!!!£!"£

People are their 'interests'...
What are fibre reactive dyes...I thought there was only acidic and direct dyes.

Are direct dyes more color fast than acidic?

and what bonds do they have.
All that extra story line bs about van gough and his useless painting is annnoying.

WHO CARES ABOUT MORDANTING AND MONSTRAL BLUEEE"!!!£!"£

People are their 'interests'...

I don't have the storylines book. It's a very boring one. Hopefully I can find all the important content on the internet
I don't have the storylines book. It's a very boring one. Hopefully I can find all the important content on the internet

Dont many ppl take f335, this thread is dead.

We need to bloat it so more people are here to impart their knowledge :smile:

Like here, what happens first.

A dipole is induced on chlorine by benzene, so the negative chloride reacts with alcl4?

and the positive chloride then accepts a pair of electrons from benzene to form a covalent bond?
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
I think so too, I'm absolutely dreading it. I think my tactic is going to be spend a couple minutes on it and if I'm not getting anywhere then to skip it and come back at the end.

Good tactic
Bbc news has an article about a really difficult nmr in the ocr a paper (and paper in general) this year so I assume theyve got one for us too
Dont many ppl take f335, this thread is dead.

We need to bloat it so more people are here to impart their knowledge :smile:

Like here, what happens first.

A dipole is induced on chlorine by benzene, so the negative chloride reacts with alcl4?

and the positive chloride then accepts a pair of electrons from benzene to form a covalent bond?

Not many schools in England take OCR B. Whats the mechanism for this reaction. Will we have to know the whole mechanism? If so, RIP to my grade.
Not many schools in England take OCR B. Whats the mechanism for this reaction. Will we have to know the whole mechanism? If so, RIP to my grade.

I think we have to have an idea of the general mechanism, it applies to all of them so it's not too bad. I think the general mechanism is in the official revision guide

Does anyone have any tips for working out the structure of a molecule from NMR? Like any tips that just make it a whole lot easier? or am I just clutching at straws...

Electrophillic substitution iirc

chlorination bro ^^
Electrophillic substitution iirc

chlorination bro ^^

I know, but you see, I'm just memorising the reactions. I should've guess since benzene reaction undergo substitutions. Hydrogen is subsitituted for the chlorine?

Original post by Solarburst
I think we have to have an idea of the general mechanism, it applies to all of them so it's not too bad. I think the general mechanism is in the official revision guide

Does anyone have any tips for working out the structure of a molecule from NMR? Like any tips that just make it a whole lot easier? or am I just clutching at straws...

Ah thank you.
I read the CGP explanation that was helpful. Watch a video on it on youtube.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending