The Student Room Group

whats physics like compared to gcse

As im only predicted an A and an A in maths so i wanna know if i am capable or not..

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by youreanutter
As im only predicted an A and an A in maths so i wanna know if i am capable or not..

Okay personally I think you need to have an outside interest in physics to study it at A level. I am just finishing off my A2 exams and was planning on taking physics to this level as I want to pursue a career in engineering, however, last year I studied really hard but completely mucked up on both exams leaving me with an E. I had got a really high A (3 marks off an A*) in physics gcse and an A* in gcse maths, but, I believe this was not enough to set me up to start the AS. You really need to be interested in physics and be reading around the subject already to be successful.....either that or be dedicated to revise from the very beginning of the year and throughout so ideas are always fresh! Therefore I'd suggest you don't just do it to fill a subject but because you are really keen on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kate2996
Okay personally I think you need to have an outside interest in physics to study it at A level. I am just finishing off my A2 exams and was planning on taking physics to this level as I want to pursue a career in engineering, however, last year I studied really hard but completely mucked up on both exams leaving me with an E. I had got a really high A (3 marks off an A*) in physics gcse and an A* in gcse maths, but, I believe this was not enough to set me up to start the AS. You really need to be interested in physics and be reading around the subject already to be successful.....either that or be dedicated to revise from the very beginning of the year and throughout so ideas are always fresh! Therefore I'd suggest you don't just do it to fill a subject but because you are really keen on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. I though I was the bomb of physics in GCSE... A level is a different ball game. Would not recommend unless natural.
Reply 4
Original post by Angelo12231
This. I though I was the bomb of physics in GCSE... A level is a different ball game. Would not recommend unless natural.

Exactly!!!!!! Me too!! Did you complete AS? What did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly!!!!!! Me too!! Did you complete AS? What did you get?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still waiting on results, I just finished AS
Reply 6
Still waiting on results, I just finished AS

Ah well done!! Good luck for results!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ill add my little bit in, A* easily at GCSE and an E at AS level. And no, i did put the work in as i got an A in Geology AS.

Physics is a very difficult A level if not taught well and if your scared to go and approach your teacher if you do not get anything.

I resat Physics this year and am waiting on my new AS results :smile:
Original post by youreanutter

If you get an A in GCSE Maths then you are more than capable of doing the maths in a level physics. :smile:
The calculations in alevel physics aren't that difficult themselves, but the problem is working out HOW to actually solve the problems, if that makes sense? Haha
Reply 10
Original post by SillyGoose623
The calculations in alevel physics aren't that difficult themselves, but the problem is working out HOW to actually solve the problems, if that makes sense? Haha

Thats exactly it! Those pesky 3 mark wordy questions will be the death of me!
Original post by Xetter
Thats exactly it! Those pesky 3 mark wordy questions will be the death of me!

I've just tried to blank all my memories from my horrific A22 exam xD
Reply 12
Original post by SillyGoose623
I've just tried to blank all my memories from my horrific A22 exam xD

Yeah i know a few friends that sat that Unit 4 one. Nibidy liked it at all haha
Reply 13
It's definitely a lot more challenging. But practice makes perfect. Also need to understand concepts in and out... mark schemes are very specific and lack leniency, but actual marking by examiners, I'm not so sure about. The trick is to understand how the paper thinks, if that makes any sense. Lately that's been a little difficult as the format of papers change a lot. REMEMBER it's not just studying. It's understanding!
(Got A*s for maths and physics at IGCSE and expecting an A for As physics. If you stay motivated you can do it. Cheers!)
Original post by rayquaza17
If you get an A in GCSE Maths then you are more than capable of doing the maths in a level physics. :smile:

Its the physics in physics that makes it hard... not the maths.
Original post by Xetter
Yeah i know a few friends that sat that Unit 4 one. Nibidy liked it at all haha

Well that makes me feel a bit better! I always find physics is a subject that I can never guess how I've scored until I get my marks, which is annoying

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot! Hope everything's good on your side
Its the physics in physics that makes it hard... not the maths.

Yes but the OP was asking about if they were capable based on their maths grade.

I had a good teacher for a level physics, so I think I've had a very different experience to others on here. I loved a level physics!
I got A* in both GCSE Maths and Physics and AS Physics is wrecking me at the moment. I think I'm gonna get a B at the very best (if I got an A, then it's a fluke, low chance of an A anyway) and it can easily be lower than a B. Meanwhile Maths and Chem AS are fine for me.

Worst thing is that I have to take Physics into A2 :angry:

Edit: make sure you have good physics teachers and a department that is willing to help you outside of class. My school dept wasn't that great and partly the reason why i struggle.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just finished AS. Agree with everything said, don't just "do" physics, you really have to understand it before you even attempt to properly practice it - can be a lot of work.

The maths however, is not very tough - just a lot of using right numbers in the right formula tbh (all of which are given to you)

Good luck to everyone for exam results btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest