The Student Room Group

OCR PHYSICS B G495~ 18th June 2015 AM ~ A2 Physics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cerdic
Yeah you can assume 5pm is the wavelength or you can use your answer, a mark scheme will take both.

The smallest detail that can be resolved by a microscope using normal light is

R=0.61λNAR=\frac{0.61\lambda}{NA}

but you can take this as the resolving power is just R=λ2R=\frac{\lambda}{2} for this, so you would use
Unparseable latex formula:

250\times10^-^9m

as it's half the wavelength of the light.
Non Latex in spoiler.

Spoiler

Do we need to know those formulae?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Do we need to know those formulae?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea, it seems quite obscure for G495 tbh. Knowing the simplification ie R=λ2NA R=\frac{\lambda}{2NA} can't hurt, but I doubt a question like that will come up, although to be fair I haven't read the advanced notice article, it just seems a bit far off. If it was in G491 then you'll have to as it's synoptic, but it's been two years now since I did that.
Original post by Cerdic
No idea, it seems quite obscure for G495 tbh. Knowing the simplification ie R=λ2NA R=\frac{\lambda}{2NA} can't hurt, but I doubt a question like that will come up, although to be fair I haven't read the advanced notice article, it just seems a bit far off. If it was in G491 then you'll have to as it's synoptic, but it's been two years now since I did that.

What's R=λ2NA R=\frac{\lambda}{2NA} ?? What's R? N? A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Mutleybm1996
What's R=λ2NA R=\frac{\lambda}{2NA} ?? What's R? N? A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

R is the resolution, so the smallest resolvable detail. NA you shouldn't worry about (I don't think), but as a matter of interest it stands for numerical aperture and is calculated by NA=nsinθ NA=n\sin\theta where n is the refractive index of the material that the light is travelling through and θ \theta us the angle of the light to the edge of the lens. As I said, do not worry about that! Just remember that the resolution is roughly equal to half the wavelength of the light.
Anyone else find it difficult to understand the electron energy levels section? It's not so much I don't understand it, I just don't know what they want us to know. Do we need to know the derivations of certain formulae? If so, they haven't really mentioned anything in the specification (we all know how useless the OCR specs are anyway - I doubt they bother referring to it whilst writing exam papers, at least).
Reply 45
What are peoples suggestions to revise for section C?
Reply 46
Anyone have any hard electromagnetism questions? I find magnets really hard :frown:
Reply 47
Original post by Robbo54
Anyone have any hard electromagnetism questions? I find magnets really hard :frown:

Are you having problems with the calculations or getting the explanations right?
Reply 48
Original post by Cerdic
Are you having problems with the calculations or getting the explanations right?

Both really, I can do the basic Farday's law and draw the graphs of flux and emf, but the questions on eddy currents/motors usually cause me concern.
Reply 49
I need an A* in physics to get into Uni. Based on my coursework raw marks, and how many UMS i think i'll have got in G494, i reckon i need 138UMS in G495.
Anyone know roughly what sort of raw mark 138UMS would translate to? I was thinking maybe around 80/100 but not too sure
Reply 50
Original post by RoryV
I need an A* in physics to get into Uni. Based on my coursework raw marks, and how many UMS i think i'll have got in G494, i reckon i need 138UMS in G495.
Anyone know roughly what sort of raw mark 138UMS would translate to? I was thinking maybe around 80/100 but not too sure

Of course it depends on how the paper is.

But 80-85 is a safe bet.
Reply 51
Original post by Robbo54
Both really, I can do the basic Farday's law and draw the graphs of flux and emf, but the questions on eddy currents/motors usually cause me concern.

Ah I can't really help you there, it's always been my hardest bit as well. Do you understand the markscheme when you mark your answers?

Original post by RoryV

Average is 84 for 138 UMS
Reply 53
Original post by Robbo54

Do you have any particular questions? I think I have a decent understanding of magnetism, though haven't touched G495 for 3 weeks or so now, so it will be helpful revision for me too (seeing If I can explain it properly).
Reply 54
Help please. June 2010 G495 Q2 part c.
My thought process was that field strength at first equipotential is 195k/0.005 = 3.9 x 10^7, and the field strength will get stronger, the closer you go to the surface, so chose 4x10^7 as the answer.
The mark scheme says the answer is 1x10^6????
Original post by RoryV
Help please. June 2010 G495 Q2 part c.
My thought process was that field strength at first equipotential is 195k/0.005 = 3.9 x 10^7, and the field strength will get stronger, the closer you go to the surface, so chose 4x10^7 as the answer.
The mark scheme says the answer is 1x10^6????

You use dV/dx (change in voltage/ change in distance)

If I remember that question correctly, the difference between the equipotentials is 5kV and the distance from the surface is 5mm.

so 5000/0.005 = 1x10^6 V m^-1
Reply 56
Original post by Nikeshp79
You use dV/dx (change in voltage/ change in distance)

If I remember that question correctly, the difference between the equipotentials is 5kV and the distance from the surface is 5mm.

so 5000/0.005 = 1x10^6 V m^-1

Yep, silly me, thankyou :smile: I was doing V/x, rather than dV/dx
Original post by RoryV
Yep, silly me, thankyou :smile: I was doing V/x, rather than dV/dx

You're welcome, everyone makes silly mistakes :tongue: Some more than others (I usually make silly mistakes, and is why I bought the silver CASIO calculator for maths hehe)
Original post by Nikeshp79
You're welcome, everyone makes silly mistakes :tongue: Some more than others (I usually make silly mistakes, and is why I bought the silver CASIO calculator for maths hehe)

The one that can do definite integrals a for you? I got that for maths last year as well 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
The one that can do definite integrals a for you? I got that for maths last year as well 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it may just possibly get me an A* >_< But I can say with confidence that, if I get an A, it has definitely helped me move my extremely low B up to that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending