The Student Room Group

My mother is completely and utterly racist.

Every single day it's "those Indians next door" or "those polish people" or "those Bengali people" or even "these black people" (we're black) followed by some completely derogatory remark involving smell/attitude/mannerisms/appearance.Seriously?
It's not only effecting my self esteem "all black people must be loud, big noses and mouths are unattractive, black people are victims of no one but themselves and have themselves o blame for the state of Africa"
It's polluting the minds of my little brothers who hear constantly that other races are rude ignorant etc.

She's highly irrational and even asking her to cover her mouth whilst coughing leads to a barrage of insults so I have no idea of how to approach the subject and ultimately ask her to stop. Any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Wait she's black? I guess in a sence she hates all races which is better than hating go only a certain race lol.
Reply 2
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Wait she's black? I guess in a sence she hates all races which is better than hating go only a certain race lol.

She doesn't seem to criticise black people as much (it's not daily). Same with white people that aren't Eastern European.
She has her derogatory remarks regarding each group but they're less frequent.
Original post by Anonymous
She doesn't seem to criticise black people as much (it's not daily). Same with white people that aren't Eastern European.
She has her derogatory remarks regarding each group but they're less frequent.

Just make me her watch the movie this is england
Reply 4
What about your father?
What is your mother's personality like in other ways?
You can't really stop her saying those things racist people tend to be extremely ignorant and don't care if you disagree with them. I would just personally in your situation make sure that your brothers don't believe what she is saying is right because if all they're hearing is her opinion there is a big possibility that they will grow up with that opinion so make sure they know what she's saying is wrong
In terms of stopping your mother it's difficult I would say to tell her you find it offensive/upsetting but there is no guarantee that works and it usually doesn't.
Reply 6
Original post by llys
What about your father?
What is your mother's personality like in other ways?

My father is even worse, don't live with him though so it doesn't bother me as much.
She loves me but she's very... yeah

Original post by riahlouise
You can't really stop her saying those things racist people tend to be extremely ignorant and don't care if you disagree with them. I would just personally in your situation make sure that your brothers don't believe what she is saying is right because if all they're hearing is her opinion there is a big possibility that they will grow up with that opinion so make sure they know what she's saying is wrong
In terms of stopping your mother it's difficult I would say to tell her you find it offensive/upsetting but there is no guarantee that works and it usually doesn't.

Yeah i have tried telling her why this can't be true and she looks at me as if i'm the stupid one often getting quite frustrated.
My father is even worse, don't live with him though so it doesn't bother me as much.
She loves me but she's very... yeah

Yeah i have tried telling her why this can't be true and she looks at me as if i'm the stupid one often getting quite frustrated.

Where is your mother from ?

Has she always held this views or has something happened which lead to her gaining this views?
Reply 8
Maybe she's just a hater in general not only a racist.
Yeah that's what they tend to do...
There isn't really much you can do because they're beyond ignorant unfortunately. How old are you? If you're going to uni soon then you don't have to be around her as much.
For now whenever she makes an offensive comment I'd personally just blank it out and try not to listen because it's not fair being offended in your own home
Original post by riahlouise
Yeah that's what they tend to do...
There isn't really much you can do because they're beyond ignorant unfortunately. How old are you? If you're going to uni soon then you don't have to be around her as much.
For now whenever she makes an offensive comment I'd personally just blank it out and try not to listen because it's not fair being offended in your own home

I'm 18, university in 2 months! yay

Original post by LenaSim
Maybe she's just a hater in general not only a racist.

Yeah maybe she just hates everyone. Would make sense.

Original post by Pure class
Where is your mother from ?

Has she always held this views or has something happened which lead to her gaining this views?

Africa, no idea, my first memory of her saying something of the sort is in year 6 so as far as i know it's been this way forever.
you need to respect your parents views and accept ur mom for who she is
Original post by FunkItsMechanics
you need to respect your parents views and accept ur mom for who she is

I should respect racist views. Lol even if they are negatively impacting me??

I probably should point out my father is biracial.

You should respect them. You don't have to share them, but you should respect them
You should respect them. You don't have to share them, but you should respect them

Why.

So your mum is racist but married or had a relationship with a mixed raced man who is also racist. This doesnt seem to add up . Apart from calling other races or ethinic groups ugly does she feel superior or better than them. This just seems to be colour ism rather than racism which is very prevalent in the black community

You should respect their right to have those views, you shouldn't necessarily respect the views themselves. If my parents are neo-nazis should I respect their views? Hell no
Why.

cus they r your parents
Original post by Zargabaath
You should respect their right to have those views, you shouldn't necessarily respect the views themselves. If my parents are neo-nazis should I respect their views? Hell no

If my parents were neo-nazis I would probably be one too

Quick Reply

Latest