The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I thought if a nucleus is too proton or neutron rich, it decays, and releases the relevant ****

So an alpha particle or beta particle

hmm yeah makes sense but for elements with low Mr it seems that their binding energies are really low which might suggest that low energy is required to separate the nucleus into separated protons and neutrons, like things which are more stable will require more energy to break it. so i'm not sure, i understand what you mean though, elements with really high mass in excessive nucleons will likely to decay like uranium.
Original post by Chung224
hmm yeah makes sense but for elements with low Mr it seems that their binding energies are really low which might suggest that low energy is required to separate the nucleus into separated protons and neutrons, like things which are more stable will require more energy to break it. so i'm not sure, i understand what you mean though, elements with really high mass in excessive nucleons will likely to decay like uranium.

F18 decays too :tongue:
Really?
Can someone please help with this?
June 2013 Q6cii
Reply 623
Can someone please explain to me the evolution of the sun? The cambridge book explanation is confusing and I feel it's wrong? Every source I've looked at says that the fusion of protons in the hydrogen shell causes the expansion. :s for example http://www.astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro201/evol_sun.htm and wikapedia and lots of other sources :frown:

So beta minus decay due to too many neutrons
Beta plus decay from too many protons
What's the cause of alpha decay?
no.. good question though if you look at the fission/fusion graph the binding energy will increase up to iron but then decrease past iron, i'm suggesting it has something to do with the electron configuration of elements maybe? either way that's a pretty saucy question if they were gonna ask that.

After g484 i'm expecting some saucy questions lol. So really I just need to know that it has the highest average binding energy (per nucleon) & that is a good enough reason as to why its the "most" stable.
This exam is gonna be a pain:colonhash:
G484 went relatively well:tongue:
My weakest parts are magnetic field theory and remembering the processes of a nuclear reactor

Someone test me on it:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leechayy
This exam is gonna be a pain:colonhash:
G484 went relatively well:tongue:
My weakest parts are magnetic field theory and remembering the processes of a nuclear reactor

Someone test me on it:wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you understand precession? And were you able to qs 1 a and b on page 191 in the ocr textbook? I struggled on that

What it is F18?
Original post by nothepreacher
What it is F18?

Fluorine 18
Do you understand precession? And were you able to qs 1 a and b on page 191 in the ocr textbook? I struggled on that

Precession? Is that based off of spin? Because that sounds more like particle physics to me:colonhash:
Remind me what the questions were again:colondollar:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you guys finished G484? If so, how was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any prediction of those essay question bit you know them 4-10 markers!~ Especially on medical physics :L

Last year ultrasound +A&B scan and PET came up
Ultrasound and Gamma camera in 2013 june
MRI 2013 Jan

actually idk maybe MRI again?

also Rutherford experiment has been overdueeee
Original post by Leechayy
Precession? Is that based off of spin? Because that sounds more like particle physics to me:colonhash:
Remind me what the questions were again:colondollar:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Well they aren't questions but I just do nt understand the concept very well, i do not understand the explanation in the book very well. You don't need to know it in great detail but I you do need to make reference to it when explaining MRI.
any nice revision suggestions/sources? I think I've exhausted past papers
Original post by rachelc142
any nice revision suggestions/sources? I think I've exhausted past papers

Did u pps from june 2010 onwards? what about all the textbook questions?
Did u pps from june 2010 onwards? what about all the textbook questions?

by pps do you mean just past papers or specimen too? cos just the former
yeah good idea; will start on the textbook. Thanks!

Textbook questions look like utter ****e lol

I've never ever done them for anything

They're like unrelated

yeah just past papers, and no problem!
Btw does anyone think we will be questioned on the diffraction pattern stuff from AS cause I do not remember a single thing!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending