The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5460
Has anyone interviewed with Gibson Dunn yet? If so what was the format of the interview (commercial based/competency based/mixture of comm/comp/tests etc)
Anyone been successful for the GLD vac scheme? I got a rejection :frown:
Original post by Kim2222
Anyone been successful for the GLD vac scheme? I got a rejection :frown:

When did you hear? I'm yet to hear!
Original post by student652
When did you hear? I'm yet to hear!

Beginning of this week.. hopefully that's good news for you!
Reply 5464
I didn't even think I would get one but I've been offered two vacation schemes for this summer - one at a US firm one at a silver cirlce firm. Had the US firm had gotten back to me sooner in the year I could have chosen dates that enabled me to do both but I only recieved the offer from the US firm yesterday and now the dates clash between the two.

Does anyone have any suggestion for what I should do? I was thinking of calling up the silver circle firm and asking if they could move my scheme dates to the end of june but that would be cutting it very close as i would start next week! Or would it be better to maybe drop the silver cirlce firm and instead ask to be considered for TC? Any suggestions welcome!!!!!
Original post by t.o
I didn't even think I would get one but I've been offered two vacation schemes for this summer - one at a US firm one at a silver cirlce firm. Had the US firm had gotten back to me sooner in the year I could have chosen dates that enabled me to do both but I only recieved the offer from the US firm yesterday and now the dates clash between the two.

Does anyone have any suggestion for what I should do? I was thinking of calling up the silver circle firm and asking if they could move my scheme dates to the end of june but that would be cutting it very close as i would start next week! Or would it be better to maybe drop the silver cirlce firm and instead ask to be considered for TC? Any suggestions welcome!!!!!

Gibson? If it is Gibson, I'm not sure I'd take it over the SC at trainee/vac scheme level (assuming that you mean somewhere like HSF, Ashurst, Hogan Lovells, Travers?

Difficult decision to make, there's a chance that you could be able to go on to the June scheme imo, considering that people often renege over the year/sign a TC elsewhere. Not sure how hard it would be to fit in an additional person, assuming that there is space. The issue with this approach is that if they say no, and then you say that you'll have to reject, may end up burning your bridges.

The second approach would probably have been better if you hadn't accepted the offer (i.e was just at the interview stage/offer had just been extended) I'm not sure how well it'll go down to ask for the silver circle firm to consider you for a TC and then go and do a scheme elsewhere. I think it would have been easier if instead of the silver circle vac scheme, you'd be able to do two schemes instead, difficult to justify when it's literally one for one. I think it would only genuinely work, if for some reason you were no longer able to do vacation schemes this summer. Choosing the US firm would be fine, but it would clearly indicate that the silver circle firm is not one of your preferred firms.

In short, which firm do you prefer? If it's the US firm, I would politely try and see whether there is space in the June scheme for your silver circle firm, if not it's worth at least asking whether you can be considered for the TC before withdrawing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5466
Original post by liarpoker
Gibson? If it is Gibson, I'm not sure I'd take it over the SC at trainee/vac scheme level (assuming that you mean somewhere like HSF, Ashurst, Hogan Lovells, Travers?

Difficult decision to make, there's a chance that you could be able to go on to the June scheme imo, considering that people often renege over the year/sign a TC elsewhere. Not sure how hard it would be to fit in an additional person, assuming that there is space. The issue with this approach is that if they say no, and then you say that you'll have to reject, may end up burning your bridges.

The second approach would probably have been better if you hadn't accepted the offer (i.e was just at the interview stage/offer had just been extended) I'm not sure how well it'll go down to ask for the silver circle firm to consider you for a TC and then go and do a scheme elsewhere. I think it would have been easier if instead of the silver circle vac scheme, you'd be able to do two schemes instead, difficult to justify when it's literally one for one. I think it would only genuinely work, if for some reason you were no longer able to do vacation schemes this summer. Choosing the US firm would be fine, but it would clearly indicate that the silver circle firm is not one of your preferred firms.

In short, which firm do you prefer? If it's the US firm, I would politely try and see whether there is space in the June scheme for your silver circle firm, if not it's worth at least asking whether you can be considered for the TC before withdrawing.

Yeah Gibson Dunn. I was leaning towards the SC firm because of the already established reputation they have in the City but then I found an article on The Lawyer that outlined the percentage of vac schemers who were subsequently offered a TC and at Gibson 100% of vac schemers were offered a TC whereas at the SC I've accepted, only 39% were offered a TC. Obviously you have to account for the difference of numbers (30 trainees at SC but only 12 at Gibson) but even so 39% is a slim chance of vac scheme-TC conversion.

I definintely think you are right. It would be slightly cheeky to ask to be considerded for TC but then renege on the vac scheme offer. Kinda contradictory as well. It's a hard one because I genuinley don't prefer one over the other. Yes there are differences between the firms but I've also understood that it is best to train at an English firm and then make the move to a US firm (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll try calling them asking to move my dates, I really hope that they can accommodate the change!
Original post by t.o
Yeah Gibson Dunn. I was leaning towards the SC firm because of the already established reputation they have in the City but then I found an article on The Lawyer that outlined the percentage of vac schemers who were subsequently offered a TC and at Gibson 100% of vac schemers were offered a TC whereas at the SC I've accepted, only 39% were offered a TC. Obviously you have to account for the difference of numbers (30 trainees at SC but only 12 at Gibson) but even so 39% is a slim chance of vac scheme-TC conversion.

I definintely think you are right. It would be slightly cheeky to ask to be considerded for TC but then renege on the vac scheme offer. Kinda contradictory as well. It's a hard one because I genuinley don't prefer one over the other. Yes there are differences between the firms but I've also understood that it is best to train at an English firm and then make the move to a US firm (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'll try calling them asking to move my dates, I really hope that they can accommodate the change!

Hi t.o, congrats on your offers! I hope you can get both, because they're 2 different firms and it would be difficult to decide unless you've had a taste of both- call up the SC and fingers crossed!

Also what did you think of GD assuming you've been to an interview? Are they nice or really conservative? And without giving too much away which direction did the interview generally take? Sorry for the infinite questions, and good luck!
Reply 5468
Original post by summerlovin'
Hi t.o, congrats on your offers! I hope you can get both, because they're 2 different firms and it would be difficult to decide unless you've had a taste of both- call up the SC and fingers crossed!

Also what did you think of GD assuming you've been to an interview? Are they nice or really conservative? And without giving too much away which direction did the interview generally take? Sorry for the infinite questions, and good luck!

Thank you very much!!

I absolutely loved the firm - everyone was really friendly and welcoming and that made the interview immediately relaxing. I would say they are both conservative and nice in the sense that the interview questions were probing but it was done so in a relaxed setting. The associate and partner were really friendly and smiley and there were a few jokes throughout the interview.

Interview was split into two sections - first part I was given an article and given 15 mins to read it and take notes. Then I had to answer some questions on it mainly about the argument that was being put forward. Second part was competency based - why GB, why law etc. All in all it lasted roughly 45 mins long

Guessing you have an interview with them too?? Best of luck!!!
Anyone heard from government legal service?

My rejection was sent last Monday from [email protected]aps search through your emails?
Hey T.O, how long did it take to hear back from your interview for gibson dunn?
Original post by t.o
Thank you very much!!

I absolutely loved the firm - everyone was really friendly and welcoming and that made the interview immediately relaxing. I would say they are both conservative and nice in the sense that the interview questions were probing but it was done so in a relaxed setting. The associate and partner were really friendly and smiley and there were a few jokes throughout the interview.

Interview was split into two sections - first part I was given an article and given 15 mins to read it and take notes. Then I had to answer some questions on it mainly about the argument that was being put forward. Second part was competency based - why GB, why law etc. All in all it lasted roughly 45 mins long

Guessing you have an interview with them too?? Best of luck!!!

Sorry didn't hit reply before so wasn't sure if you would get a notification, when was your interview for gibson and how long did it take to hear ?

Have you still not heard?
Original post by Kim2222
Have you still not heard?

Nope nothing!
Hello, any chance on some insight in the the vacation scheme for squire patton boggs?
Hey.. so I just got my first year results and I'm extremely disappointed with myself and know that there's not really much chance of me getting a vacation scheme for next year.

Grades:
Law of Torts- 61%
Public Law- 58%
Criminal Law- 58%
Contract- 58%

I know. They're bad. My coursework was all of 2:1 (65%) standard but my exams have seriously effected my overall score and I'm very upset with myself.

What are my options??

(Side point: I have attended 4 law firm open days, I have a weeks work experience with DLA Piper coming up, possibly work experience with BT's legal team, work experience at a solicitors firm, part of Pathways to Law programme, I've had a full time job as a sales assistant coming up to 2 years, ABB at A level, extra curricular = netball team, representee for a society etc)

Thank you in advance
Reply 5477
Still awaiting the results of my interview and the scheme starts in less than 4 weeks!!!
Reply 5478
I had my interview on June 11th and am still waiting to hear... Sent them a chaser email yesterday and they said they would get back to me in a day, they still haven't
Reply 5479
If anyone has been to a Berwin Leighton Paisner assessment centre, is there an interview on the day or do the interviews take place at a later date?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending