The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE A2 German Unit 4 - 18th June 2015

Haven't seen a thread for this exam this year. Hopefully I'm not the only one on the forums this year doing this exam! You know how we're advised not to guess the essay topic and prepare essays? Well **** that, any guesses as to what will come up this year?

I feel like we're due for another immigration based discursive essay, the past two years haven't asked things explicitly about immigration, and the only years to have one were 2010 and 2012.
So far for German we haven't had any historical context essays or ones based on scenery so I'd say they're likely contenders. But I don't know; it feels like a stab in the dark because there aren't enough papers to establish whether or not there's a trend in repeating essays or if they're always different.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alaric III
Haven't seen a thread for this exam this year. Hopefully I'm not the only one on the forums this year doing this exam! You know how we're advised not to guess the essay topic and prepare essays? Well **** that, any guesses as to what will come up this year?

I feel like we're due for another immigration based discursive essay, the past two years haven't asked things explicitly about immigration, and the only years to have one were 2010 and 2012.
So far for German we haven't had any historical context essays or ones based on scenery so I'd say they're likely contenders. But I don't know; it feels like a stab in the dark because there aren't enough papers to establish whether or not there's a trend in repeating essays or if they're always different.

Hi! Thank god I found this thread! I'm doing this exam as well and my teacher basically made all the same predictions (immigration (hopefully) for the discursive and then social/cultural context for the research essay). We also said that something related to women/euthanasia/or science might come up for the discursive part?

Are you doing Der Besuch in Literature for the research essay by any chance?
Reply 2
Original post by Annabel_rose
Hi! Thank god I found this thread! I'm doing this exam as well and my teacher basically made all the same predictions (immigration (hopefully) for the discursive and then social/cultural context for the research essay). We also said that something related to women/euthanasia/or science might come up for the discursive part?

Are you doing Der Besuch in Literature for the research essay by any chance?

I'm not, I'm doing Der Vorleser by Bernhard Schlink so we're different there unfortunately. It would be a gift of an essay if we got immigration, for me at least, my presentation was based around it so I have loads of good phrases. Fingers crossed, I can probably manipulate the presentation to suit any vaguely immigration based task. What sort of preparation have you done for the research based essay in that case? I've written out a couple essays, one on Scenery and one on Period, but I find learning them off by heart just really tricky.
I just hope they don't pull a double bluff with the research based essay and repeat an essay (or worse combine) rather than continue to ask something abstract. They haven't repeated themselves yet though, and last year's was a real bitch of a paper (techniques omg), they do seem to be changing it totally each time.
Hi guys, i'm doing this exam too and need to get a good grade because I've got an offer for German (and Hist) at uni.... so you guys think immigration for discursive and then social and cultural context for the lit (i'm doing Der Besuch too!)... hmmmm.. hard to say!
I'm not, I'm doing Der Vorleser by Bernhard Schlink so we're different there unfortunately. It would be a gift of an essay if we got immigration, for me at least, my presentation was based around it so I have loads of good phrases. Fingers crossed, I can probably manipulate the presentation to suit any vaguely immigration based task. What sort of preparation have you done for the research based essay in that case? I've written out a couple essays, one on Scenery and one on Period, but I find learning them off by heart just really tricky.
I just hope they don't pull a double bluff with the research based essay and repeat an essay (or worse combine) rather than continue to ask something abstract. They haven't repeated themselves yet though, and last year's was a real bitch of a paper (techniques omg), they do seem to be changing it totally each time.

What kind of question do you think they would ask on immigration?

hmm in terms of preparation for the research based one, I'll probably make essay plans+try and learn them / learn quotes / learn useful phrases as well? When I was going through potential topics with my teacher she said that there were basically four main areas they could cover (apparently this is in the specification?) and they were: Characters/Themes/Style (or Techniques)/Social+Cultural context. So based on that, social and cultural context seems pretty likely...which is really annoying for Der Besuch, but oh well! I just think, as long as you have a good consistent focus on the question and use quotes you'll be fine??? (aha i hope)
Reply 5
Original post by Milkywaykid
Hi guys, i'm doing this exam too and need to get a good grade because I've got an offer for German (and Hist) at uni.... so you guys think immigration for discursive and then social and cultural context for the lit (i'm doing Der Besuch too!)... hmmmm.. hard to say!

I need a good grade too, I'm going to study in Germany :s-smilie:

Original post by Annabel_rose
What kind of question do you think they would ask on immigration?

hmm in terms of preparation for the research based one, I'll probably make essay plans+try and learn them / learn quotes / learn useful phrases as well? When I was going through potential topics with my teacher she said that there were basically four main areas they could cover (apparently this is in the specification?) and they were: Characters/Themes/Style (or Techniques)/Social+Cultural context. So based on that, social and cultural context seems pretty likely...which is really annoying for Der Besuch, but oh well! I just think, as long as you have a good consistent focus on the question and use quotes you'll be fine??? (aha i hope)

I feel like they've already done the most outright "People should stay in their borders" question, and they already spoke about the EU (which wasn't really immigration, but basically the same thing). I think, if there is one, it'll be something like "Immigrants are harming the economy" or "Too much immigration is bad for society" - as long as it comes up I'll be happy at this point. I do think they'll throw a global warming question in there (or homelessness), whether that happens instead of the Immigration essay, I can't say.

If they don't want to repeat their questions then it'll almost definitely be the Period essay, I just worry because it's so obvious they'll try to double bluff. And if Immigration doesn't come up... I'm losing a bit of sleep over this :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
I need a good grade too, I'm going to study in Germany :s-smilie:

I feel like they've already done the most outright "People should stay in their borders" question, and they already spoke about the EU (which wasn't really immigration, but basically the same thing). I think, if there is one, it'll be something like "Immigrants are harming the economy" or "Too much immigration is bad for society" - as long as it comes up I'll be happy at this point. I do think they'll throw a global warming question in there (or homelessness), whether that happens instead of the Immigration essay, I can't say.

If they don't want to repeat their questions then it'll almost definitely be the Period essay, I just worry because it's so obvious they'll try to double bluff. And if Immigration doesn't come up... I'm losing a bit of sleep over this :wink:

Haha don't lose too much sleep! Chill as much as poss! I agree though about the immigration question, I reckon it'd be the sort of social impacts and factors of immigration i.e. pressure on society, healthcare etc etc, so a socio-economic question rather than the thing about should there be open borders...
Reply 7
Eyyyyyyyy, someone finally made a thread for this! Unlike you guys, I'm planning on doing the geographical area essay (I've learnt the 2 most likely questions off by heart) and then I have Das Leben der Anderen (a film about the DDR) as a fallback option.

I reckon the social context is a solid shout. The thing that's annoying me is that my teacher has said all year that they wouldn't just ask about social/cultural context and when I asked him about it recently (because, like you guys, I'm sure it's very possible), he didn't really help at all.

After looking at a similar French question, I think the question this year could be "Evaluate the importance of the social/historical context in the film/book/play you have studied?"

As for the discursive, I think it's near impossible to predict it. Sure, there are things that have a better chance of coming up and things you can write off, but all in all the spec's just too broad and they're going to ask what they want. Immigration'd be a good one for me too seeing as I did the EU in my speaking!
Reply 8
I'm resitting this year after having spent 10 months in Germany and i'm ****ting myself for this exam. I feel so so unprepared although i've been speaking German for the past 10 months. Sigh. I honestly find the GCSE & A Level German specifications pathetic. The amount of time I have talked about Abortion, Ethunasia, Animal testing ect in my everyday life here has been low. My first week I had to learn the words for knife, fork and spoon. The spec needs to be based on more realistic words and topics. I am yet to meet a German who has struggled with everyday words like I did at the start.
Reply 9
Original post by Antoniaotter
I'm resitting this year after having spent 10 months in Germany and i'm ****ting myself for this exam. I feel so so unprepared although i've been speaking German for the past 10 months. Sigh. I honestly find the GCSE & A Level German specifications pathetic. The amount of time I have talked about Abortion, Ethunasia, Animal testing ect in my everyday life here has been low. My first week I had to learn the words for knife, fork and spoon. The spec needs to be based on more realistic words and topics. I am yet to meet a German who has struggled with everyday words like I did at the start.

This is so true^. At least the AS exam was a genuine test of your listening, reading and writing skills. This year (apart from the translation) is "who can get the most fancy words and quotes into sentences even though you'll never use them."
Reply 10
Is anyone doing the DDR and the historical question for the RBE?
Reply 11
And with the immigration topic- I think the question will be really really precise. Something stupid like - Immigrants take away the local peoples jobs- do you agree?. Which would be pretty narrow because you have to make sure you really stick to the questions. Ohhhhhh man I am stressed out right now.
I didn't know social and cultural context was a topic for the research based essay? My teacher didn't really teach us anything about it for Der Besuch in as much detail as we covered characters, themes etc... What on earth would you write about for Der Besuch apart from that fact that it's a transferable/timeless idea represented in the play?

Immigration would be an interesting topic to write a discursive essay on, well prepared for the discursive so they can pretty much throw anything at me.
Reply 13
I'm doing this exam too - we've been doing social/cultural context pretty much non-stop all year my teachers that confident it'll be on. Immigration is definitely a likely topic. Anyone doing Die Welle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ylime20
I didn't know social and cultural context was a topic for the research based essay? My teacher didn't really teach us anything about it for Der Besuch in as much detail as we covered characters, themes etc... What on earth would you write about for Der Besuch apart from that fact that it's a transferable/timeless idea represented in the play?

Immigration would be an interesting topic to write a discursive essay on, well prepared for the discursive so they can pretty much throw anything at me.

I did a social/cultural context essay practise for Der Besuch and basically just talked about:

- Hochkonjunktur and the Wirtschaftswunder after the war (which you can link to derelict postwar setting at the beginning, the Gülleners' greed for money, and their later prosperity?)
- The different factions in society and the Kleinstadt Mentalität or Kleinbürgertum (so der Lehrer, der Arzt, der Bürgermeister etc)
- Cultural context could be all the techniques Dürrenmatt uses (Verfremdungseffekt, Groteske, Elementen des deutschen Märchens)
etc.
But I think the strongest point (which is what I concluded with) is that, since the time and place of the play are not explicitly given, the play is largely intended to be timeless and transcedent. In fact, I think Dürrenmatt actually said that he was not the spokesperson for a particular movement or ideology, suggesting that the social and cultural context of production don't play a vital/very prominent role???
idk I think it's a hard essay topic for Der Besuch considering how ambigious a lot of issues are within the play - anyway hope this helps a bit :smile:
Reply 15
Hey, is anyone doing goodbye Lenin for the RBE? What would you write if a social setting did come up? Thanks😀😀

What would your paragraphs be if social context came up for der Vorleser
Is it only me that feels so unprepared and scared for this exam? :s
Original post by lowun
Hey, is anyone doing goodbye Lenin for the RBE? What would you write if a social setting did come up? Thanks😀😀

I'm doing Goodbye Lenin too, all I can think of writing about for this question would be to do with Ostalgie and how Becker (who comes from the West) wants to rekindle the idea nostalgia that so many Easterners have, even today. Can't think of much more though so hoping this question doesn't come up.
Reply 19
Original post by Milkywaykid
Is it only me that feels so unprepared and scared for this exam? :s

Don't worry, I feel sick because of how nervous I am. Catching a plane tonight to take this exam tomorrow morning for the second time. I'm dreading it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending