The Student Room Group

OCR MEI exam board?

I have just found out that my school has chosen to do OCR next year for Maths/Further Maths.

I've heard that it's a really tough exam board. Am I screwed basically for maths? xD I'm only used to Edexcel now for maths and don't know how different OCR would be...

How is it really? Are all the core, mechanics and further modules and so on all basically the same as other exam boards?

Bleh.

Edit: it's the OCR MEI board. And there's a coursework element. Oh dang. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stableintegral
I have just found out that my school has chosen to do OCR next year for Maths/Further Maths.

I've heard that it's a really tough exam board. Am I screwed basically for maths? xD I'm only used to Edexcel now for maths and don't know how different OCR would be...

How is it really? Are all the core, mechanics and further modules and so on all basically the same as other exam boards?

Bleh.

Edit: it's the OCR MEI board. And there's a coursework element. Oh dang. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do MEI. The questions tend to be harder than other examboards but the grade boundaries can also be a lot lower. You are most certainly not "screwed" though.

In my personal experience, C1-2 and M1,S1,D1 are almost always the same every year. A2 modules are somewhat different such as M2 which can be a little more unpredictable in its questions but that is maybe just me and others are fine with it.
Original post by tridianprime
I do MEI. The questions tend to be harder than other examboards but the grade boundaries can also be a lot lower. You are most certainly not "screwed" though.

In my personal experience, C1-2 and M1,S1,D1 are almost always the same every year. A2 modules are somewhat different such as M2 which can be a little more unpredictable in its questions but that is maybe just me and others are fine with it.

What is the coursework like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is the coursework like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I am yet to do it. However, I self taught C3 before and I imagine it will not be too bad. I am told by my teachers that it is quite easy to gain full marks - though I am not entirely sure how reliable that it.
Sorry, I am yet to do it. However, I self taught C3 before and I imagine it will not be too bad. I am told by my teachers that it is quite easy to gain full marks - though I am not entirely sure how reliable that it.

Ah, thank you very much. I really appreciate your replies. :biggrin:

Even then, I don't have to worry about it until Year 13 and I have a full year to ask if needed anyway. Just wondering, though. I expected Edexcel but OCR will have to do. XD
Ah, thank you very much. I really appreciate your replies. :biggrin:

Even then, I don't have to worry about it until Year 13 and I have a full year to ask if needed anyway. Just wondering, though. I expected Edexcel but OCR will have to do. XD

Yes, when I was in Y11 I also hoped for Edexcel but twas not to be. :redface:
Yes, when I was in Y11 I also hoped for Edexcel but twas not to be. :redface:

I even did one Core 1 paper from Edexcel (at home and for fun) and really enjoyed doing it. It was pretty easy and I liked the layout. I'll have to get used to a new front cover and layout now. xD

But there's plenty of time for that. And at least for sciences, my school is doing AQA. And maths is maths wherever you go pretty much, so I guess it can't be that bad with OCR if you're good at it. OCR even has hundreds of past papers available, so that's plenty to practice from too!

I guess it's not as dire as I thought then. Just have to wait and see now for next year. :biggrin:
I even did one Core 1 paper from Edexcel (at home and for fun) and really enjoyed doing it. It was pretty easy and I liked the layout. I'll have to get used to a new front cover and layout now. xD

But there's plenty of time for that. And at least for sciences, my school is doing AQA. And maths is maths wherever you go pretty much, so I guess it can't be that bad with OCR if you're good at it. OCR even has hundreds of past papers available, so that's plenty to practice from too!

I guess it's not as dire as I thought then. Just have to wait and see now for next year. :biggrin:

Indeed, my only issue with MEI a year later is the lack of people discussing them on TSR, and as a result we will short on Unofficial mark schemes.

At least you have AQA! I have OCR B - the name of which alone sounds utterly bleak.
The coursework is pretty trivial, so don't worry about it.

As for unofficial mark schemes, now I'm here pretty much all the time, and I'm doing MEI, I'll try and do them for each paper (assuming we can remember the questions!)
Original post by Duskstar
The coursework is pretty trivial, so don't worry about it.

As for unofficial mark schemes, now I'm here pretty much all the time, and I'm doing MEI, I'll try and do them for each paper (assuming we can remember the questions!)

I think we should be able to remember them together.
The coursework is easy (just boring). It's Core 4B you want to worry about. As an exam board, they're pretty big on application of knowledge (as MEI stands for Maths in Education and Industry), and so try to apply everything to the "real world".

One benefit to MEI is that their website has past papers back to 2005, so you'll never be short on practice. They also have one of the widest ranges of modules available to candidates, so you have quite a lot of choice (whilst they don't have M/S5-6, they do have things like Differential Equations, Numerical Methods, and Further Pure with Technology, which I believe are unique to MEI, although I could be wrong).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loperdoper
The coursework is easy (just boring). It's Core 4B you want to worry about. As an exam board, they're pretty big on application of knowledge (as MEI stands for Maths in Education and Industry), and so try to apply everything to the "real world".

One benefit to MEI is that their website has past papers back to 2005, so you'll never be short on practice.

4B?
4B?

The comprehension paper of Core 4. I couldn't be bothered to type out "Core 4, Paper B".
Original post by loperdoper
The comprehension paper of Core 4. I couldn't be bothered to type out "Core 4, Paper B".

Oh, thanks for clarifying. Kind of ironic now you had to explain it though. :colone:
I think we should be able to remember them together.

Yeah well I realised in C3 I could literally just write down all the functions - maybe if I have enough time I'll write out the whole paper on my calculator lol :P Or someone could just sneak the paper out again >.>
Yeah well I realised in C3 I could literally just write down all the functions - maybe if I have enough time I'll write out the whole paper on my calculator lol :P Or someone could just sneak the paper out again >.>

How do people sneak them out. My school collects them in super quick.
How do people sneak them out. My school collects them in super quick.

Hmm, my school collects them and the forumlae booklet in at the same time - I literally can't think how I'd pull it past them.
Hmm, my school collects them and the forumlae booklet in at the same time - I literally can't think how I'd pull it past them.

Maybe the people who post them are just altruistic teachers who are trying to calm the nerves of students on TSR.
I'm doing the same exam board next year! :O The GB are lower but Q are harder? Is this true?
Reply 19
Original post by Adeel Ali
I'm doing the same exam board next year! :O The GB are lower but Q are harder? Is this true?

It is a vile board ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending