The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pixiedustfairy
Anyone else applying for Math?

Physics here though in a good couple years
Reply 941
Original post by Jingram123
I have 9 A*s and 1A at GCSE and an A in addition maths (it is AS equivalent so the highest grade attainable was an A)
I am studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics and have finished my ASs today (finally!)
I was hoping of applying to Oxford next year to study Physics and was achieving 90+% in ALL the mock papers I did in physics when all the grader boundaries for an A were under 70% but unfortunately the exam went catastrophically and I just found it so much harder and now am worried I might even end up with a B in my Physics AS, however, my maths will hopefully buoy me up and I reckon I am in with a shout of achieving a couple of modules with a 100% UMS score, I am predicted 3A*s and an A at A-level (with the A in Economics), if I were to get a B in my Physics AS, would I still have any chance of making a succesful application to Oxford Physics?

(P.S. I am taking my STEP 1 exam a year early on Monday, if I were to achieve a grade in that, how much would it benefit my application? (since it is REALLY hard and much beyond any AS or A2 difficulty)
I will also take the PAT (it is a requirement i believe).

Your UMS doesn't make any effect on your Oxford application as they can't see it, only grades for each unit. I'd say wait until results day and see what you actually get before you get hung up on a possible B in Physics. Getting a B in physics certainly wouldn't look great to them as it is clearly a very relevant subject, but it is only 1 of your 5 applications.

You must take the PAT and getting an interview is almost entirely based on this score (everyone above x/100 each year is automatically shortlisted for interview). It includes a maths section and I strongly advise you do lots of practice (especially as it seemed to include multiple topics that I certainly didn't cover until A2 physics, although this might vary with exam board).
I'd say the STEP would certainly be seen as good demonstration of mathematical ability, but I can't say how much or little it'd affect your application! Good luck on Monday though :smile:

(current offer holder for physics so feel free to ask away!)
Original post by Lau14
Your UMS doesn't make any effect on your Oxford application as they can't see it, only grades for each unit. I'd say wait until results day and see what you actually get before you get hung up on a possible B in Physics. Getting a B in physics certainly wouldn't look great to them as it is clearly a very relevant subject, but it is only 1 of your 5 applications.

They do say in the website that if scores are good, UMS points can be included, I think that is to know between the ones who got an A just by a few marks and those who had a strong A. Just saying...
Original post by Lau14
(current offer holder for physics so feel free to ask away!)

Which college are you going to? Is it the same one where you applied? (just curiosity dont answer if you dont want to)
Reply 944
Original post by imsomeone
They do say in the website that if scores are good, UMS points can be included, I think that is to know between the ones who got an A just by a few marks and those who had a strong A. Just saying...

I'm not sure where exactly you'd include your UMS unless your college added it into the reference - possibly worth asking about if you do end up getting a B and it's only 2 ums off or something and still want to apply. And if you don't include your UMS they can't make any judgements off that so it still doesn't make a difference.

Which college are you going to? Is it the same one where you applied? (just curiosity dont answer if you dont want to)

St Hugh's! Yes, although I think the figures for reallocation at some stage are somewhere around 20-30% off the top of my head maybe
Original post by Lau14
I'm not sure where exactly you'd include your UMS unless your college added it into the reference - possibly worth asking about if you do end up getting a B and it's only 2 ums off or something and still want to apply. And if you don't include your UMS they can't make any judgements off that so it still doesn't make a difference.
St Hugh's! Yes, although I think the figures for reallocation at some stage are somewhere around 20-30% off the top of my head maybe

I think it is in the reference but youre right.
How did you decide? There are so many...I have been thinking of Balliol and st Johns...though not sure at all.
Reply 946
I think it is in the reference but youre right.
How did you decide? There are so many...I have been thinking of Balliol and st Johns...though not sure at all.

The best advice is to go visit on an open day or something if you can! But before you do/if you can't, be prepared - as you said, there are a lot.

1. Make a list of colleges offering your subject. For physics this is virtually all of them! Cut out any others that don't apply to you (eg mature colleges, PPH's if those don't appeal)

2. Think of another criteria seeing as you've still got a pretty long list. It can be anything, once you've gotten past that initial stage it doesn't matter. Mine was that I wanted somewhere with good kitchen access because I'm a pretty fussy eater and I'd rather cook for myself most of the time and have that flexibility but it can be something like "I want a pretty college!". Just bear in mind you might be reallocated. If you're visiting, try and make your list pretty small at this stage - I think mine had in the region of 6 on it, and I managed to visit around 4 over the day and a half I was in Oxford plus departmental stuff and a lot of walking between places. If you're not, obviously you need to get it down to 1 eventually (or make an open application).

I chose St Hugh's over the others on my list just because I really liked it there when I visited and the short walk into town doesn't bother me!

Thanks for the reply, it's one of my 4 applications though, not five, unless you are including the PAT. Also, do you mind me asking what results you got since you have an offer? (e.g. GCSES, ASs, Predicted A2s and PAT)
Thanks! :smile:

Unless they've changed it (unlikely?), you get to apply to five unis each year! It's maybe worth a risk on Oxford as long as your others are reasonable and you can cope with the possibility of rejection, but if you don't try you'll never know. (unless I confused you and you're thinking of subjects not unis!)

4A*, 5A and 3B at GCSE + a distinction in OCR national ICT (The A* were in maths and sciences, the Bs in Art, short course RE, and English language).
In my AS year I did Physics, Chemistry, Biology and A level Maths because of the way Maths/Further Maths is taught at our college and got As.
This year I'm continuing with Physics and Chemistry, resitting one Maths unit (I was 3 UMS away from an A*), doing Further Maths and self studying one extra Further Maths unit for fun basically. I think my official targets that were sent off to Oxford were A*A*A*A, with the A in Further Maths, but at that stage we hadn't done any Further Maths so I'm now targeted an A* in that.
My PAT was only one mark above the interview boundary because I was nowhere near as prepared as I should have been (LEARN FROM THIS it was prettty stressful trying to get it sorted. You've got all summer, use some of it to brush up on your physics - look at the PAT spec, even though it's not very detailed - and then start past papers in the last month or so), so I got 56 (34 in the maths section, 22 in the physics).
Original post by Lau14
The best advice is to go visit on an open day or something if you can! But before you do/if you can't, be prepared - as you said, there are a lot.

1. Make a list of colleges offering your subject. For physics this is virtually all of them! Cut out any others that don't apply to you (eg mature colleges, PPH's if those don't appeal)

2. Think of another criteria seeing as you've still got a pretty long list. It can be anything, once you've gotten past that initial stage it doesn't matter. Mine was that I wanted somewhere with good kitchen access because I'm a pretty fussy eater and I'd rather cook for myself most of the time and have that flexibility but it can be something like "I want a pretty college!". Just bear in mind you might be reallocated. If you're visiting, try and make your list pretty small at this stage - I think mine had in the region of 6 on it, and I managed to visit around 4 over the day and a half I was in Oxford plus departmental stuff and a lot of walking between places. If you're not, obviously you need to get it down to 1 eventually (or make an open application).

I chose St Hugh's over the others on my list just because I really liked it there when I visited and the short walk into town doesn't bother me!

Thank you very much for the reply, it obviously has taken you some time.
Unfortunately im unable to visit, and I just prefer to apply to a college which I think I might like than an open application even if im not sure it is the best choice...but thank you very much
Reply 948
Thank you very much for the reply, it obviously has taken you some time.
Unfortunately im unable to visit, and I just prefer to apply to a college which I think I might like than an open application even if im not sure it is the best choice...but thank you very much

Ah no problem, gives me something to do during revision breaks! Your best bet then is looking at their websites (if they have an alternative prospectus - written by the students - then that's usually useful), the student room wiki has pages on the colleges which can have lots of information on, and of course asking around on the forums :smile:
Original post by Lau14
Ah no problem, gives me something to do during revision breaks! Your best bet then is looking at their websites (if they have an alternative prospectus - written by the students - then that's usually useful), the student room wiki has pages on the colleges which can have lots of information on, and of course asking around on the forums :smile:

yes thank you very much, right now I was just writing which colleges offer accommodation for all years...What do you think about living out?
Reply 950
yes thank you very much, right now I was just writing which colleges offer accommodation for all years...What do you think about living out?

St Hugh's offers accommodation for all years of the course, so I won't be doing it myself... I'm guessing, as many students must do it every year, that it has to be manageable, but that's all I know really! I'd expect living in college is just easier because you don't have to worry about finding a group to live with, and spending time looking for somewhere to live in your next year.
Original post by Lau14
St Hugh's offers accommodation for all years of the course, so I won't be doing it myself... I'm guessing, as many students must do it every year, that it has to be manageable, but that's all I know really! I'd expect living in college is just easier because you don't have to worry about finding a group to live with, and spending time looking for somewhere to live in your next year.

thank you very much
Original post by Lau14

Oh, and one more thing, would you mind telling me what you received as an offer? I know the prospectus says A*AA for science but I heard that is only a minimum offer and I wondered how likely they were to give a much higher offer. What was your offer?
Reply 953
Oh, and one more thing, would you mind telling me what you received as an offer? I know the prospectus says A*AA for science but I heard that is only a minimum offer and I wondered how likely they were to give a much higher offer. What was your offer?

Oxford only hand out standard offers (to my knowledge?). Once you're past the PAT and interviews you'll need A*AA, with A* in physics or maths or the A* in further maths with AA in physics and maths.
GCSE grades: 5A* 6A 1B
A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics (AAAB predicted)
Course: Computer science
College: Oriel, Catz, Keble or Magdelen

Guess ill decide on the open day
hi guys,i was wondering if you could give me some advice on which unis i could get into to do economics with these results: 6A* 6A at GCSE and i think i will get 3A's (AS Maths, Economics, Biology) 1B (Chemistry) and 1B (A2 Maths)
really disappointed about a2 maths as i know i've really messed up in my mechanics module and think it might bring me down to a B.
i'm predicted A*A*AAA(Maths, Economics, Chem, Bio, F Maths respectively)i've done a lots of economics related extra curricular and work experience

thanks
GCSE grades: 4 A*s (1 in maths) and 4As (+C in FSMQ)
A-Levels: Predicted A*AAC (in maths(A2), french, spanish, physics)
Course: Maths
College: Somerville

I wasn't too happy with the C at FSMQ but I didn't have a teacher, do you think they will take this into account? Now, I'm not too happy about the C at AS level, but I think I will be dropping physics anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by politicalmind
Awesome - I also want to do Law, looking to go to Christchurch, University college or Exeter College - what are your grades and what are you studying?

Nice:smile: I'm looking at Exeter too. I'm going for their open day in September.
GCSE grades : 7A* 3A
AS: maths, history, french, german and not dropping anything...hopefully that won't bite me later!:wink:
How about you?? What are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 958
Does anyone know what the rooms are like in Univ? Do you have to share a bathroom with other people? I won't be able to go to open day so any information on the living conditions in any of the colleges would be welcome :smile:
I thought I'd join in as an American Oxford hopeful.

AP Exams Taken: World History (4), Chemistry (probably 5), Physics (probably 5), Calculus BC (probably 5), US History(probably 5), and English Language (probably 4)
AP Exams to be Taken Next Year: Computer Science, Statistics, Biology, Microeconomics, Comparative Government, and English Literature
Course: Chemistry
College: Merton

For those unfamiliar with the American AP system, exams are scored on a scale of 1-5, where 5 is the highest.

Latest

Trending

Trending