The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Room Student
Haha, sounds weird I know, but the low grade boundaries just make me feel kinda chilled about it! :biggrin:

There's a load of stuff to learn, but once you've grasped it, most questions are quite friendly I think...

True, sure they're not as low as G482 but it's also easier imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yes !!!

Wahey! It's certainly a lot nicer than doing a crammed (and often stupid) lil G484 paper.

This is my last exam too, so once C4 is done with on Tuesday, hopefully things will be looking bright!

since the peak occurs at a lower flux density value, the ions required less force to complete the circle of correct radius to the detector. f = mv^2/r since it says speed is the same, then f dp to mass. so mass must be less since force is less

also the smaller peak for the current means there are significantly less of this isotope since the current is dependant on the amount of ions that strike the detector.
Original post by boristeve
since the peak occurs at a lower flux density value, the ions required less force to complete the circle of correct radius to the detector. f = mv^2/r since it says speed is the same, then f dp to mass. so mass must be less since force is less

also the smaller peak for the current means there are significantly less of this isotope since the current is dependant on the amount of ions that strike the detector.

OH thank you. :biggrin:
Original post by boristeve
here you go

Wrong textbook sorry :colonhash:
I meant the Physics 2 for OCR book:colondollar::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 686
i just hope it's a normal paper otherwise i don't think i'll get an A. I did pretty crap in g484 i think.
Original post by ETRC
i just hope it's a normal paper otherwise i don't think i'll get an A. I did pretty crap in g484 i think.

Same bro, I lost like close to 15 marks. People are saying grade boundaries will be low. If they are then I can get A*. If not then I'll have to do soooooo good in G485 to level it out. :C
Reply 688
Original post by sagar448
Same bro, I lost like close to 15 marks. People are saying grade boundaries will be low. If they are then I can get A*. If not then I'll have to do soooooo good in G485 to level it out. :C

same i lost like 16 marks

i can now only drop like 8 marks to get an A*. I think i have a better chance at a* in further maths instead of physics. i also made 2 stupid mistakes in c3 but i think i got enough for an a* in that.

i did good in chemistry but its my least important subject -.-
I'm not sure if this question is correct:

The region of uniform magnetic field is created by the electric current in an arrangement of coils. Suggest how the end of the electron beam is swept up and down the tv screen.

My answer was relating to the magnetic force being Fc and assuming that remains unchanged electron maintains circular path around tv screen

But I'm not sure if it's correct. Is it? If not, what's the right answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ETRC
same i lost like 16 marks

i can now only drop like 8 marks to get an A*. I think i have a better chance at a* in further maths instead of physics. i also made 2 stupid mistakes in c3 but i think i got enough for an a* in that.

i did good in chemistry but its my least important subject -.-

OCR Core 3? What do you think 90 UMS will be?
Reply 691
OCR Core 3? What do you think 90 UMS will be?

i do mei for maths not ocr
Reply 692
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yeah the 6.5cm^-1 would go to 650

ohhhhhh thanks
Hey everyone. New to the thread. Just curious: is anyone else, in a sick and twisted way, looking forward to this exam?

No. My exams the previous day don't finish until 5pm, so I'm only going to have a couple of hours to revise and will be exhausted for this one. I also estimate I'll need 138 UMS so not looking forward to it. I've got 150 UMS in the last load of papers I've done, but I'm not sure if I can match that in the real thing.
how the **** does KE of electrons convert into X-rays as photons?
Original post by ETRC
i do mei for maths not ocr

For maths I made silly ass mistake even though I found it easy. I did Edexcel exam board and dropped like 10-11 marks. People said it was hard so hopefully Grade boundaries are low.... I will need to go really good in C4 to level it out.. :c
Original post by morgan8002
No. My exams the previous day don't finish until 5pm, so I'm only going to have a couple of hours to revise and will be exhausted for this one. I also estimate I'll need 138 UMS so not looking forward to it. I've got 150 UMS in the last load of papers I've done, but I'm not sure if I can match that in the real thing.

Ouch. What exams have to got on the Wednesday? I'm guessing that's for an A* overall... well it sounds very high when put like that, but even on relatively easy past papers, around 135 UMS hasn't been too hard to get in terms of percentage raw marks. I'm sure you can do it!
Reply 697
Original post by LilDurk

electrons are released at a large pd at a metal and they collide the the electrons of the atoms. because of the photoelectric effect, some of the ke of electrons is absorbed by the e- on metal and s-ray photons are released.

you just have to know that electrons hit a metal surface with a high pd so some of the ke of electrons is converted to x-ray photons. you might need to know it's the photoelectric effect which causes it.
Original post by LilDurk

when the electron strikes the tungsten anode, it collides with an inner electron in one of the tungsten atoms, causing it to be ejected. When another electron takes it place, it emits a photon to make up the energy difference. The photon emitted is an X Ray
Ouch. What exams have to got on the Wednesday? I'm guessing that's for an A* overall... well it sounds very high when put like that, but even on relatively easy past papers, around 135 UMS hasn't been too hard to get in terms of percentage raw marks. I'm sure you can do it!

Biology F215 and STEP II.
Yes for an A*.
I know. On most days I could definitely get that but I'm not sure if I'll get that in the real thing. I'm probably just over worried about it but it's my most important A-level/STEP exam this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending