The Student Room Group

Media studies 15th June

Has anyone got any past papers for the advertising and marketing exam on Monday? I don't have a clue what type of questions are going to be asked and the structure of the exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Each year they pick a new topic, last year i think it was crime drama, this year it is advertising so there is no past papers unfortunatley. However, you can sort of make one up for section B as it asks us to make a new advert, you could try a new drink, snack, sports wear, beauty product etc, hope this helps :smile:
Original post by 109265
Each year they pick a new topic, last year i think it was crime drama, this year it is advertising so there is no past papers unfortunatley. However, you can sort of make one up for section B as it asks us to make a new advert, you could try a new drink, snack, sports wear, beauty product etc, hope this helps :smile:

Aw thankyou, that's great!! Have you not got any vague idea as to what section a is about?😄
Reply 3
Original post by Elstinsdebra
Aw thankyou, that's great!! Have you not got any vague idea as to what section a is about?😄

Section a will be to write about two print adverts asking how it appeal to target audience, it will say where the adverts are from as well eg if its from Mens Health magazine it is clearly aimed at men not females! Its good to read this information about the adverts so you dont get it wrong. Have you not done this in class? Pm me if thats easier for you...
do you think section b will be a storyboard? if it wasnt that, what do you think it would be?
Reply 5
Original post by samanthayates98
do you think section b will be a storyboard? if it wasnt that, what do you think it would be?

My teacher is confident it will be a story board, however it could be a treatment - so basically you just write about your brand and the advert you have come up with, always refer to how it will appeal to target audience and the tecnique it will use. For example, todorivian narrative, binary oppisites, shot types etc
Original post by 109265
My teacher is confident it will be a story board, however it could be a treatment - so basically you just write about your brand and the advert you have come up with, always refer to how it will appeal to target audience and the tecnique it will use. For example, todorivian narrative, binary oppisites, shot types etc

What is a treatment? If that was in section B, how would you set it out?
Reply 7
Original post by samanthayates98
What is a treatment? If that was in section B, how would you set it out?

You just write about. So rather than drawing each frama of a story board you write about each frame in detail and how it will appeal to audience. You will be fine, you mainly get a mark for every key word you use so i should be quite simply.
Original post by 109265
You just write about. So rather than drawing each frama of a story board you write about each frame in detail and how it will appeal to audience. You will be fine, you mainly get a mark for every key word you use so i should be quite simply.

Ah right, thank you!
Reply 9
for anyone doing tv news try this one http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3392331

Original post by web-girl
Anyone doing AQA TV news exam?

cheers
Reply 10
Whats the common questions asked for the making of the advertisement? will they ask for a product that will appeal to a youth audience of a product in particular, like a drink?
Reply 11
Original post by 109265

Have you got any idea what advert they are going to ask? My teacher said they made ask you to create a product for a 'youth' audience? is this true or will it be a certain product?
Reply 12
Original post by becca x
Whats the common questions asked for the making of the advertisement? will they ask for a product that will appeal to a youth audience of a product in particular, like a drink?

Yh it should defo be aimed at a youth audience, it could b drink, snack, beauty product, perfume, body spray etc, have a few idea of names in your head before the exam and ur be one step ahead
Reply 13
Original post by becca x
Have you got any idea what advert they are going to ask? My teacher said they made ask you to create a product for a 'youth' audience? is this true or will it be a certain product?

My teacher seems to think they will ask for a certain product but definatley aimed at youth audience , good luck
Reply 14
Original post by 109265
Yh it should defo be aimed at a youth audience, it could b drink, snack, beauty product, perfume, body spray etc, have a few idea of names in your head before the exam and ur be one step ahead

That's great thankyou!! have you got any extra advice? im so scared haha!:frown:
If it was aimed at a young audience and they asked you a question about target audience, could you talk about how 16-34 year olds are aspirers and the lifestyle category you chose eg. drifters, cowboys, puritan etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by becca x
That's great thankyou!! have you got any extra advice? im so scared haha!:frown:

All i can say is revise, but don't worry i am worried too because i really want to do well, but nerves are a good thing right?
I have the WJEC Media exam on Monday too, have no idea what to expect so I'm literally just revising everything and nailing the key words.
Reply 18
Will the questions I section A specifically be based on the adverts they give us or will there be other generic questions too? Because in the revision guide I have been given the example question say things like explore how audiences might respond to print adverts you have studied, but we haven't studied any adverts?? It also asks things like using examples explore the importance of tv advertising scheduling, could these types of questions come up or are they specifically based on the print advert and our tv advert?
Reply 19
Original post by 291298
Will the questions I section A specifically be based on the adverts they give us or will there be other generic questions too? Because in the revision guide I have been given the example question say things like explore how audiences might respond to print adverts you have studied, but we haven't studied any adverts?? It also asks things like using examples explore the importance of tv advertising scheduling, could these types of questions come up or are they specifically based on the print advert and our tv advert?

The first two questions will be based on the adverts provided.
The second two questions will be about either representation, appeal or organisations (celebrities, cross-media etc.) Here you will need to use examples (hen they don't state how many you should use, use at least 3). You have to find these examples in the form of case studies, go on the internet and find adverts that you could use to answer the various questions and plan it out. You may have to adapt this plan once you see the questions but you must have some adverts that you know you can use, especially for representation. Plus these case studies can't be from the resource material, so I would search for some now if i were you.
These same questions may also come in section B in that case it would be best to focus on the ideas behind your own advert.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending