The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Mine didn't make sense but I got the general idea I think, but I thought the questions were much nicer for language but they should have asked to translate the second half! Literature was nicer though!
Original post by kate_maria
I'm the only one doing latin too. There where loads of stupid year 11s that finished an exam in the middle of mine. They were really loud which didn't help. I'm the only one in every one of my subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow! That’s amazing! You must be doing really indie subjects! :smile: What else do you do?

Uh, yeah, me too - bloody Yr 11 Physicists. It wasn’t even my school I was at - my college doesn’t do Latin, so I have to do it at the local private school. So they weren’t even physicists that I knew! By the end of the exam I was the only person left in the hall :frown:
Original post by KnittyKitty
Oh wow! That’s amazing! You must be doing really indie subjects! :smile: What else do you do?

Uh, yeah, me too - bloody Yr 11 Physicists. It wasn’t even my school I was at - my college doesn’t do Latin, so I have to do it at the local private school. So they weren’t even physicists that I knew! By the end of the exam I was the only person left in the hall :frown:

I do french and Spanish too. Yeah I was so annoyed with them si distracting. I was the only one left in the hall too but was glad to get rid of the year 11s. Wow have you taught yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by memoona123456
anyone doing Ovid and Propertius ?

me lol was diabolical
Original post by Fxcku
I found the translation hard. But everything else was okay!

Sames! The Aeneid questions were beautiful though so that should make up for it. Damn Jupiter!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by platypus1997
There's three of us in Latin but I'm the only one in greek
Which subjects do you do?

I do french spanish and latin

Posted from TSR Mobile
So after today I'm fairly convinced I need to do well in the prose exam next Friday if I want to get my A for uni. I do Livy and Tacitus - any revision advice? Any particular vocab or grammar structures? Or methods for Tacitus revision?
Reply 387
What do you need to get an A this year?? I'm the same, I just go through Tacitus over and over again. Vocab I am mainly using the AS vocab!
Original post by buddy_glass
So after today I'm fairly convinced I need to do well in the prose exam next Friday if I want to get my A for uni. I do Livy and Tacitus - any revision advice? Any particular vocab or grammar structures? Or methods for Tacitus revision?

When revising for Tacitus, I basically translate the whole text and then take it line by line to identify stylistic points.

As for the unseen, make sure you know the uses of the subjunctive, the principal parts of verbs and all types of clauses.

Livy's gonna be tough as usual, but they don't overdo for the part that needs to be translated. It's the one on which they ask questions that's difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i thought the translation was okay which i'm finding concerning gven how many people hated it, maybe i messed it up :frown: the aeneid questions were a GIFT but im worried that maybe i didnt analyse enough or convey clearly where i was going with it
anyone do propertius?
Original post by lilyhowells
anyone do propertius?

I teach the Propertius.

Poem 10 question was pretty standard stuff - you could turn almost any stylistic point into something sensuous with that poem.

I wish they'd ask something a bit more "normal" for the essay, though - something actually thematic, rather than "tell me why Propertius is awesome" in some way (it was something about him being lively and imaginative, wasn't it? I don't have the paper to hand).
Original post by lilyhowells
me lol was diabolical

We are the worst at judging our own performance though; im sure youll have done fine! :biggrin:
try an get hold of the westminster latin A2 vocal list. it is ordered by type of word not alphabetically so you won't be learning the same words over and over.
Original post by ohmygosh
Finally a thread on the Latin A2! I am also doing the aeneid book IV and Sallust's Bellum Catiline for the prose section.

One area of the language I am concerned about is the questions in which you must state why a word is a specific case or what part of the verb it is. Has anybody come across some good websites for revsion for either the language or the literature?

any help would be appreciated :smile:

do you have a copy of John Taylor's 'Latin Beyond GCSE'? works a charm although he can be pretty wordy
Hi,

I am doing Tacitus for Prose next Friday, and I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a good translation to learn as I have been learning the one my teacher gave us, but it is not very good and I don't have time to type out my own one, etc.
Any help or tips would be appreciated!

Original post by sootyrabbit123
Hi,

I am doing Tacitus for Prose next Friday, and I was just wondering if anybody could recommend a good translation to learn as I have been learning the one my teacher gave us, but it is not very good and I don't have time to type out my own one, etc.
Any help or tips would be appreciated!

There's one on wikisource (can't link now as I'm on my phone).

It's not perfect by any means, but I find it mostly accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
There's one on wikisource (can't link now as I'm on my phone).

It's not perfect by any means, but I find it mostly accurate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I will have a look at that then :smile:
Okay guys, if anyone of you do Tacitus, which passages do you think are likely to come up for the second part of the paper. Bearing in mind that this is the last year.
Original post by memoona123456
Okay guys, if anyone of you do Tacitus, which passages do you think are likely to come up for the second part of the paper. Bearing in mind that this is the last year.

38 and 43...

Difficult to predict tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending