The Student Room Group

A2 Biology OCR June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3360
HOW ARE WE MEANT TO GET THE WHOLE OF F215 IN OUR HEADS?

feel like my brain is going to explode!
Original post by Bobbs
Do you think the F214 grade boundaries will be lower than normal?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lzLD6TABo-BswSxnmX_dVE1RYwBTTNrPVQBa6AngV8Y/preview?sle=true

sorry for taking a while to get back to you
I would take a low B in f215 rn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by loperdoper
Oh, yeah. It's essentially when the DNA fragments (which are flourescent), are blotted onto a sheet and put under UV light. I've just never heard it be called southern blotting.

Ohh thanks man !
Electrophoresis question on last year's paper. Someone please explain it to me
Original post by Klesia
HOW ARE WE MEANT TO GET THE WHOLE OF F215 IN OUR HEADS?

feel like my brain is going to explode!

I also hate how this is after c4 maths, as if i wasn't worrying about that
Does anyone think they have gene technology on lock?
Original post by Beni24
Im on a gap year atm so im retaking f212,f214 and f215 :smile: I found it quite hard and so random with all that dialysis stuff!! Really hope f215 wont be as bad because I really need to get the grades for uni haha :smile:

Yh, as soon as I saw that question i was like WTF!! and just made up stuff for that question :tongue: what do u want to do at uni and wat uni r u planning to go to?
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I also hate how this is after c4 maths, as if i wasn't worrying about that

Ikr, I have psychology unit 4 and C4 on the 16th and F215 on the 17th :frown:
Aha...I'm not ready.......
How are we supposed to answer the suggest questions anyway? I never seem to get them right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexthehuman
Can anyone help me out with genetic engineering of insulin? The 2 ocr books and biotutor all have different methods I dunno which one I'm supposed to learn :frown:

Learn the one from the mark scheme because it'll get you full marks whereas if you learn the method from the books you won't get the full marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cinderella25
How are we supposed to answer the suggest questions anyway? I never seem to get them right

Posted from TSR Mobile

For some of the suggest questions I've done there's usually a few lines of text before them where OCR are hinting at what they want you to say/explore-so underline/highlight the important parts before jumping into the question. Although most of the time (annoyingly) it's testing general knowledge rather than Biology per say so you just have to think outside the box Its a bit like jumping through hoops. You think an answer can't possible be right as its too simple and then you look at the markscheme and its there :redface:
Reply 3373
Can anyone explain anything relating to ganglions to me because I don't remember ever being taught what they are or what they do?
Can I ask like what grades on average people are getting on past papers?
Original post by EvasiveRose
For some of the suggest questions I've done there's usually a few lines of text before them where OCR are hinting at what they want you to say/explore-so underline/highlight the important parts before jumping into the question. Although most of the time (annoyingly) it's testing general knowledge rather than Biology per say so you just have to think outside the box Its a bit like jumping through hoops. You think an answer can't possible be right as its too simple and then you look at the markscheme and its there :redface:

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please explain epistasis to me please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cinderella25
Can someone please explain epistasis to me please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Epistasis is the interaction of gene loci where one gene locus masks/suppresses the expression of another gene locus (so it is not expressed in the phenotype) via an enzyme pathway

There are three forms of epistasis:
1. Recessive epistasis:
*A homozygous recessive condition at either gene locus suppresses the expression of the alleles at the other gene locus regardless of what they are
9: 4: 3 is the ratio this manifests itself within
2. Dominant epistasis:
*A dominant allele at one gene locus masks the expression of the alleles at the second gene locus regardless of whether they are dominant/recessive
13: 3 or 12: 3: 1 ratio
3. Complementary epistasis:
*A dominant allele needs to be present at both gene locus' for the phenotype to be expressed
9: 7 ratio
*Usually involves the product of one reaction being the substrate for the next reaction (is a multi enzyme pathway)

I'm sure the OCR book says something along similar lines. Is there anything specific you're confused about?
Anyone else think this exam is physically impossible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alice00
Anyone else think this exam is physically impossible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would take a high C on this paper lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending