The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by games211
yup I don't understand why AS and A2 timings are the same for maths?

For real, I can do c1 and c2 with quite some time to spare but certainly not c4
guys do u know how to handle
integral of : sin3xcosx ??
Original post by devendragrg

Sin4x = sin(3x + x)
Sin2x = sin(3x - x)

Try using those
Original post by theDanIdentity
am i the only one who feels that there's never enough time to finish a standard paper in the 1hour 30 mins that has been given? or am i not just fast enough?

You are probably just slower then others(not always a bad thing), most people I know finish in time. I think the timing is is smaller then at AS but from AS to A2 on average you shoukd be working quicker i guess!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1184

What paper?
Original post by games211
I got that but I still am not getting the correct answer :9

I have no idea what the problem is

Possibly factor formulae from C3.
Do you think they might ask volume of revolution around the y-axis? I can't remember them ever asking that?
Original post by TheAnnabelle
Do you think they might ask volume of revolution around the y-axis? I can't remember them ever asking that?

Nope, it's not in the spec
Original post by Gome44
Nope, it's not in the spec

Came up in an Edexcel Specimen Paper
Reply 1190
Original post by arjunlotay

How would you do it then just in case? Integrate πx2 in terms of y instead?
Original post by grn
How would you do it then just in case? Integrate πx2 in terms of y instead?

Limits of y with respect to dy x^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have any tips for C4, for example how Cos X = Sin(90-x)
Or if a line is parallel to y then then denominator of dy/dx is 0
Original post by arjunlotay

Was probably an old spec paper :smile:
Could someone please explain to me part b of this expansion question from June 2013 R it's a simple element but I really don't understand it! Thanks :smile:
Last-minute advice to anyone taking C4:
CHECK THE NUMBER OF QUESTIONS BEFORE YOU BEGIN.
:biggrin:
Original post by TeeEm
for x=2
sec() = 2
cos() = 1/2
() = pi/3

for x=3
sec() = 3
cos() = 1/3
() = arccos(1/3) in radians

TeeEm can you link me to some of your questions involving volumes of revolution questions where you have a line and a curve and you use the formula of a cone. I don't know if I am making any sense :smile: thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
are the edexcel gold silver bronze papers any good? the gold ones in particular?
Original post by iceangel8
Could someone please explain to me part b of this expansion question from June 2013 R it's a simple element but I really don't understand it! Thanks :smile:

Well, you've expanded 8-9x cube rooted, and you're asked to find the cube root of 7100. So you ask yourself how you can make 8-9x look anything like 7100. Well, x=1/10 makes it 7.1, so using the expansion you get the cube root of 7.1. But we want the cube root of something a thousand times bigger.

Just like (2*4)^2 = 8^2 = 64 = 4*16 = 2^2 * 4^2, the cube root of 7100 can be split into the cube root of 7.1 and the cube root of 1000 multiplied together. So you get the expansion for 7.1 and multiply by the cube root of 1000, which is 10.
Original post by SeanFM
Well, you've expanded 8-9x cube rooted, and you're asked to find the cube root of 7100. So you ask yourself how you can make 8-9x look anything like 7100. Well, x=1/10 makes it 7.1, so using the expansion you get the cube root of 7.1. But we want the cube root of something a thousand times bigger.

Just like (2*4)^2 = 8^2 = 64 = 4*16 = 2^2 * 4^2, the cube root of 7100 can be split into the cube root of 7.1 and the cube root of 1000 multiplied together. So you get the expansion for 7.1 and multiply by the cube root of 1000, which is 10.

Honestly thank you so much that is very helpful that's exactly what I needed! Good luck on Tuesday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending