The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

To celebrate i went to download festival with my husband and my brother for the day, i've discovered that i am too old festivals......
Original post by Ratchit99
To celebrate i went to download festival with my husband and my brother for the day, i've discovered that i am too old festivals......

Nonsense. You're never too old for festivals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So at this stage of the course, I will be withdrawing from the PGCE. It has yet to happen officially, but it's unlikely that I will have any other option. Am currently looking at TA jobs but don't know how to explain my situation on an application form. It's all very stressful and the past week has been hell.
Original post by alabelle
So at this stage of the course, I will be withdrawing from the PGCE. It has yet to happen officially, but it's unlikely that I will have any other option. Am currently looking at TA jobs but don't know how to explain my situation on an application form. It's all very stressful and the past week has been hell.

I am terribly sorry to hear this and particularly saddened that it all happened right at the very end. What has been said to you?

There were some people in my course who interrupted their PGCE and told they can redo their second placement at a different school next January. Maybe the same can happen to you.
Original post by Airfairy
Nonsense. You're never too old for festivals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My headache, sore hips and back would disagree with you! Lol.
I don't think pregnancy has helped to be honest but definately think I'll be going at a more sedate pace than when i was 22 in future.....

I am so sorry. It seems so cruel and unfair at this late stage of the course. Why have they decided you won't be able to pass? At least if you aren't able to pass you know you will have fought right up until the end. It really is a shame as in your posts you have always seemed enthusiastic about teaching. In my opinion people who love teaching are nearly always good teachers.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I am terribly sorry to hear this and particularly saddened that it all happened right at the very end. What has been said to you?

Very little so far apart from that there is no way I could be signed off on the standards before the end of the year. I have been performing at a 3 bordering on a 2 for a while which nosedived to unacceptable when they moved me to a new school last week. That has been a horrible experience. I was in tears before (and during) my final observed lesson. I have an official meeting tomorrow.

Original post by Red Lightning
There were some people in my course who interrupted their PGCE and told they can redo their second placement at a different school next January. Maybe the same can happen to you.

That is a possibility, but my tutors believe this would be pointless and I can't afford tuition fees or living costs.

Original post by bonniex123
I am so sorry. It seems so cruel and unfair at this late stage of the course. Why have they decided you won't be able to pass? At least if you aren't able to pass you know you will have fought right up until the end. It really is a shame as in your posts you have always seemed enthusiastic about teaching. In my opinion people who love teaching are nearly always good teachers.

I do love teaching, but this past week has killed off any enthusiasm I had left. I will not pass because I have difficulties in front of a whole class, keeping them interested and being a big enough presence. All of this was linked to my confidence and as the pressure built up, I started to get worse rather than improve.
Very little so far apart from that there is no way I could be signed off on the standards before the end of the year. I have been performing at a 3 bordering on a 2 for a while which nosedived to unacceptable when they moved me to a new school last week. That has been a horrible experience. I was in tears before (and during) my final observed lesson. I have an official meeting tomorrow.

I do love teaching, but this past week has killed off any enthusiasm I had left. I will not pass because I have difficulties in front of a whole class, keeping them interested and being a big enough presence. All of this was linked to my confidence and as the pressure built up, I started to get worse rather than improve.

I'm so very sad that this has happened, and as I said, especially that it has got so far. I wonder about the amount of support you have had that this should have all come to a head at the very end. However, I think from what you say that you may come to look back on this as a lucky escape, however painful it is now, and I'm sure it is very painful indeed. Teaching is not for everyone and wishing don't make it so, I'm afraid. I do wish you all the very best in finding a way out of this.
x

I'm so, so sorry to hear all this, alabelle. I really feel for you. Like Carnationlilyrose, I too wonder about the support you have had in order to cut it so fine.

If you love teaching, perhaps look at other roles in education? I know you're already looking at TA jobs, which is good. Some of the TA3s and HLTAs earn a decent amount of money. Sure, it's pro rata, but you get all the holidays, evenings and weekends to yourself! I'm looking down that route even with a PGCE!

Good luck for the future. xx
Can I have some advice? I've asked my mentor and TES and they have given different responses. This is all hypothetical...

I have an interview tomorrow for a support tutor job. I do like the sound of it and the idea of having my own free time is nice. However, at some other point in the week (TBC) I have an interview at a lovely school that I haven't even applied for but got an interview based on recommendations. They are giving me a solo interview because I'll be on holiday for the actual interview date, so that's really nice of them.

If I got offered the support job tomorrow and accepted, then got offered the teaching job afterwards, what do I do? I am totally stuck. My mentor has said it is acceptable to back out of a support job because it's non-teaching so one months notice. I, however, would feel terrible doing this, and it's at an excellent college where I don't want to ruin my name. However, I don't feel that I can back out of this teaching interview because my mentor has basically set it up for me.

What do I do? TES tells me it is totally unacceptable to back out of any accepted job, regardless of if it's non-teaching, and I agree tbh, despite what my mentor says. I'd feel awful.
Can I have some advice? I've asked my mentor and TES and they have given different responses. This is all hypothetical...

I have an interview tomorrow for a support tutor job. I do like the sound of it and the idea of having my own free time is nice. However, at some other point in the week (TBC) I have an interview at a lovely school that I haven't even applied for but got an interview based on recommendations. They are giving me a solo interview because I'll be on holiday for the actual interview date, so that's really nice of them.

If I got offered the support job tomorrow and accepted, then got offered the teaching job afterwards, what do I do? I am totally stuck. My mentor has said it is acceptable to back out of a support job because it's non-teaching so one months notice. I, however, would feel terrible doing this, and it's at an excellent college where I don't want to ruin my name. However, I don't feel that I can back out of this teaching interview because my mentor has basically set it up for me.

What do I do? TES tells me it is totally unacceptable to back out of any accepted job, regardless of if it's non-teaching, and I agree tbh, despite what my mentor says. I'd feel awful.

I would stick with the same advice on TES. I don't think it's acceptable to verbally accept a job in ANY sector and then back out of it.
It's a very tricky situation. I'm a great advocate of honesty being the best policy and I think I would have to explain the situation to the first place and take a risk.

That is a possibility, but my tutors believe this would be pointless and I can't afford tuition fees or living costs.

I;m so so sorry to hear this. Your genuine passion has always come through in your posts and I feel annoyed for you that you're finding this out so late.

Best of luck for the future - please keep posting to let us know how you're doing
Is anyone else a complete mix of emotions as the last week begins? Five teaching days left, a lot of marking, but that's it - that's the end of what can only be described as the most difficult year of my life so far.
I've laughed and enjoyed myself more than I ever have and I've also cried and felt like quitting more than I ever have.

After getting my final report and comparing it to my first report, I cried, because the progress that I've made and not even really realised is insane.

I'm so so excited for NQT but I also don't want to leave my placement school. I'm scared about starting in a new school and having to make new friends again, I'm scared I'm going to suck, I'm scared that I won't be good enough - but, I'm excited. I'm excited to have my own classroom and my own classes. I'm excited to teach how I want to and I'm excited to put everything I've learnt from this year into practice.

Couldn't also have done it without this thread too, having people around to offer support and share in the highs and the lows has been incredible.

I'm going to be an emotional wreck on friday.
Original post by Samus2
Is anyone else a complete mix of emotions as the last week begins? Five teaching days left, a lot of marking, but that's it - that's the end of what can only be described as the most difficult year of my life so far.
I've laughed and enjoyed myself more than I ever have and I've also cried and felt like quitting more than I ever have.

After getting my final report and comparing it to my first report, I cried, because the progress that I've made and not even really realised is insane.

I'm so so excited for NQT but I also don't want to leave my placement school. I'm scared about starting in a new school and having to make new friends again, I'm scared I'm going to suck, I'm scared that I won't be good enough - but, I'm excited. I'm excited to have my own classroom and my own classes. I'm excited to teach how I want to and I'm excited to put everything I've learnt from this year into practice.

Couldn't also have done it without this thread too, having people around to offer support and share in the highs and the lows has been incredible.

I'm going to be an emotional wreck on friday.

It's an emotional job. I'm retiring in 3 weeks. I imagine I shall be sharing some of those feelings...

I agree that you shouldn't accept then change your mind. Having said that, in other sectors there isn't generally an offer on the same day and you aren't necessarily expected to respond straight away like you are with teaching.

With that in mind I would suggest explaining that you have another interview this week and would appreciate the opportunity to experience both before making a decision. As far as I can gather in most sectors this is normal and doesn't reflect badly on you... If you're right for the role they'll still want you. The only question mark is whether, since they're a school, they expect the same as for teaching roles.

Your mentor is right about the notice period allowing you to leave (if you verbally accepted a teaching job you'd technically be in contract to the following Christmas though few would fight someone who changed their mind just after accepting) but that isn't the concern here. It's about etiquette.

Having said all that if you're only going to the other interview so as not to disappoint your mentor, I'd say just take the support one if you like it. Obviously that's a decision only you can make though!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone. The school messaged me today (would you believe this has all been over Facebook?!) asking if they can interview me on Friday. I said Friday is fine but if I have an interview today and if I get that that I won't be attending on Friday (obviously), and I'll let them know asap. Since today's interview is a support job, I don't know how long it takes to hear but I hope it's soon then I can tell the school as soon as poss and not mess them around by telling them the day before!

I'm currently in school and only have a couple of seconds but I just wanted to give you massive hugs. This absolutely sucks right now but it'll work out fine in the end. Everything always does.
Thank you everyone, I appreciate your messages. Going for my official meeting today. Still hoping there is a way of resolving this but sincerely doubt it too. I think talking to careers would be a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest