The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Government and Politics - Unit 4b Other Ideological Traditions

Hopefully they're attached, again they're not mine they're from 'Jagzthebest'.

Enjoy! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, do you have any of these for the key political ideologies? They're great!
Reply 2
are you revising all ideologies?
Reply 3
Original post by Stillnotcool
Sorry if I'm too late but I think that's a liberal/anti-colonial vs conservative/expansionist question! So you'd have to talk all about the liberal attitude to a nations individualism and respecting the self-determination of each nation, and how anti-colonial came about in your counter. And for your 'for' argument all about the superiority complex expansionist has and the militaristic nature of both conservative and expansionist :smile:

okay thank you! and nope you werent late haha:smile:
Reply 4
How many idelogies ar you guys learning?
Basically, every single question no matter what the subject wants to explore the tensions between each of the strands in the ideology, so just remember that whatever the question you have to talk about all the strands in relation to the question. For this question you'd need to point out the aspects of strands such as expansionist nationalism and how that's aggressive, maybe also talk about the aspects of Conservative, post-colonial and anticolonial nationalism which could be deemed aggressive, eg. Rob Mugabe, Napoleon's use of nationalism to unite the French armies etc. THEN you must counter balance this with 'however..' and then talk about the other strands of nationalism which are not expansionist and aggressive e.g. Liberal nationalism and the League of Nations or Ghandi's version anti-colonialism, the aspect of Conservative nationalism which unites its people e.g. Disraeli and One Nationism. Then you have to make a strong conclusion which answers the question e.g. 'Overall, Nationalism is a force which can both unite a nation or destroy a continent, depending on the nature of nationalism and the people it benefits depends on whether or not it is inherently expansionist and aggressive. Nevertheless, it is clear that there are expansionist and aggressive types of nationalism as have been seen with the rise of Nazi Germany and European imperialism which dominated the globe for hundreds of years, therefore meaning nationalism could be called inherently expansionist and aggressive.' Obviously I haven't written the full essay, but you just need to summarise key points and examples and DO NOT introduce any new material at the end...examiners hate that.

But I think all you really need to remember/revise for all of ideologies are the core themes for each and the tensions which exist between strands within the ideology as well as tensions it causes with other ideologies (comparing with outside ideologies helps with the synopticity mark) and also defining everything you can in the intorduction is key, especially in the 15 markers. Then if you know that you can answer any questions. Knowing some thinkers and quotes also helps to obtain a higher mark.

Hope you find this helpful! :smile:
has anybody made any predictions as to what questions may come up?
Reply 7
What are you guys predicting for p4? All I'm doing is feminism and multiculturalism. Nationalism is so tedious and boring -.-
You won't be able to do just 2 ideologies unless you get very lucky - you'll need 3 to be sure.
Risky business learning two ideologies, even going for three can be risky if the essays are horrible. I'm going nationalism, feminism and ecologism though.
Original post by pegesus328
Risky business learning two ideologies, even going for three can be risky if the essays are horrible. I'm going nationalism, feminism and ecologism though.

Same with me. I'm doing those 3. I am pretty sure feminism or ecologism will be the missing essay this time.
Original post by fredessaywriter
Same with me. I'm doing those 3. I am pretty sure feminism or ecologism will be the missing essay this time.

Multiculturalism is a rough one, or my teacher just didn't teach it fully. Hope nationalism stays as an essay, only about 4 essays you need to learn and your fine.
Multiculturalism is a rough one, or my teacher just didn't teach it fully. Hope nationalism stays as an essay, only about 4 essays you need to learn and your fine.

Same - we had a cursory flick through multiculturalism. R.e nationalism - Forward/Backward looking, aggressive/peaceful and single doctrine? It has been skipped recently so I'm hoping it comes up.
Same - we had a cursory flick through multiculturalism. R.e nationalism - Forward/Backward looking, aggressive/peaceful and single doctrine? It has been skipped recently so I'm hoping it comes up.

I don't think there's another topic with such limited essays. It's great!
I don't think there's another topic with such limited essays. It's great!

I know! It makes me slightly wary though - could they ask something new do you think?
Reply 15
what do you guys think the nationalism essay will be about? i'm hoping it's about whether it's a single doctrine or not.
I know! It makes me slightly wary though - could they ask something new do you think?

I doubt it. I sat unit 3B, simply learnt all of the 15 and 45 markers that had come up for Conservatism, Anarchism and Liberalism and both the essays come up I knew. Simple.
Original post by atxya
what do you guys think the nationalism essay will be about? i'm hoping it's about whether it's a single doctrine or not.

It will be a single doctrine one if it does come up. I'd bet my left nut on it :tongue:
Original post by atxya

June 14 - 'Nationalism inevitably breeds conflict and war'. Discuss.
June 13 - Skipped
Jan 13 - Forward Looking ideology
June 12 - Single Doctrine
Jan 12 - 'Nationalism is inherently expansionist and aggressive'. Discuss.
June 11 - Skipped
Jan 11 - Backward looking ideology
June 10 - Recipe for Peace and international order

My best guess - if they don't try a new theme - would be is if it is backward looking or single doctrine. Having said that they could put something in completely new - although there hasn't been anything like that since January 2002!
June 14 - 'Nationalism inevitably breeds conflict and war'. Discuss.
June 13 - Skipped
Jan 13 - Forward Looking ideology
June 12 - Single Doctrine
Jan 12 - 'Nationalism is inherently expansionist and aggressive'. Discuss.
June 11 - Skipped
Jan 11 - Backward looking ideology
June 10 - Recipe for Peace and international order

My best guess - if they don't try a new theme - would be is if it is backward looking or single doctrine. Having said that they could put something in completely new - although there hasn't been anything like that since January 2002!

Doubt they would change it now. New specification is in a year or 2. One thing that I've learnt about examiners is their usually lazy. 1945-51 Atlee gov has come up 3 years in a row in AS History.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending